Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby dunbar » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:18 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:Dunbar- I love the UMaine band but from a fan's perspective on the home side...it's not loud enough. The band is needed on the home side to fire up the crowd and our players. Let the crickets chirp on the visitors side!

That's hard to imagine considering the sound we put out for our sized group. We've grown about 40% in past five years. Try standing on the podium in front of the group, it's a real eye opener and takes you by surprise. We had a decibel reader in front of the group at hockey a few times we've easily exceeded 100 dB, and that's only with a partial pep band of 45.

Keep this is mind, just in the league alone:

Maine: behind visitors bench
New Hampshire: endzone corner
Rhode Island: behind visitors bench
Albany: endzone corner
Stony Brook: behind visitors bench
Villanova: behind home bench
Delaware: endzone
Towson: behind visitors bench
James Madison: endzone
William and Mary: behind visitors bench
Richmond: no band
Elon: behind home bench

You'd find very few schools at the FCS or FBS levels who places the band behind the home bench. Moving back to the big side would be opposite to a common trend now in college football. When Massachusetts moved back to McGuirk, they moved the UMMB and students behind the visitors bench. The term "visitors side" is a misnomer because nobody designated a whole side of a field to visiting fans, two or three sections at most.
dunbar

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:44 pm

JDiamond wrote:WalterWhite - Sorry I hadn't responded to your post. With some points made in jest, I thought it would be best to tread lightly...Glad you liked the Sigi shirt and we are planning some similar giveaways for this season. One in particular we are very excited to announce, but will wait for photos to to it justice :D

Coach Cim - To clarify, I am John Jr. I appreciate the kind words about my father and grandparents, and as a 3rd generation UMaine Alumn and life-long Black Bear fan I assure you I have the same passion for UMaine Athletics and take a similar, analytical approach to the points you mentioned. To address your questions, I am not involved in most of what you discussed. The only way I can affect the performance on the field is to do everything I can to fill the stands and make our games and the university a place that fans, student-athletes, and recruits want to be. I can tell you that coaches and administrators do exit-interviews, but do not know specifics.

Bam - Thanks for the ideas and we will have a lot of video content focused on these types of stories in the near future. From there, we can't control what local media decides to carry on their own, so overall we've looked to provide thorough coverage of our games, events, and student-athletes through our own channels like social media and goblackbears.com and have a significant reach through those channels. We are also working on getting people talking about the season much earlier as you mentioned. Those around Orono will hopefully see some new signs as of today as they drive around town, and we'll be at the Old Port Festival this weekend with some giveaways and tickets available for the game in Portland. A lot of exciting things to come!

John Jr: Sorry, I forgot you were junior.

Understand why you can't answer my 3 questions as that is not in your bailiwick.

However, UMaine athletic department could and should have a written exit transfer questionnaire which the transfers does not have to sign.

As an AD and coach I would want to know the positive and negative real reasons not the politically correct reasons.

Just list reasons athletes transfer and have them rate each reason 1 thru 10 as they pertain to each sentence/reason with the higher the more accurate the real reason for transferring.

Thanks again for responding.
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:27 am

Last season there were more fans hanging out in the tailgate area than in the stands during the actual game. The used to enforce a policy that once the game began you had to exit the tailgate area....that certainly wasn't enforced last season. People love drinking, BBQs & socializing....maybe UM could host weekend tailgating every weekend in the fall....even when there are no football games? Half the people seem to care less about the actual game anyway.

I also support the idea of hockey tailgating for Oct & Nov games. If the games are @ 7 then maybe a 2 hour tailgate from 4-6?
mainejeff

Postby Archer Bunker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:33 am

mainejeff wrote:Last season there were more fans hanging out in the tailgate area than in the stands during the actual game. The used to enforce a policy that once the game began you had to exit the tailgate area....that certainly wasn't enforced last season. People love drinking, BBQs & socializing....maybe UM could host weekend tailgating every weekend in the fall....even when there are no football games? Half the people seem to care less about the actual game anyway.

I also support the idea of hockey tailgating for Oct & Nov games. If the games are @ 7 then maybe a 2 hour tailgate from 4-6?

Excellent Point Jeffy. Brings us back to the question I posted a few weeks back as "why do people feel they need to drink before the game?" Maybe UMO should have a game with out booze and they could call it the Family Fun Day. Show the children that we don't need alcohol to have a good time at the game. Or do we need it?

AB
Archer Bunker

Postby fafan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:56 am

mainejeff wrote:Last season there were more fans hanging out in the tailgate area than in the stands during the actual game. The used to enforce a policy that once the game began you had to exit the tailgate area....that certainly wasn't enforced last season. People love drinking, BBQs & socializing....maybe UM could host weekend tailgating every weekend in the fall....even when there are no football games? Half the people seem to care less about the actual game anyway.

MJ, as one who tailgates every game and has for over 10 years I will say the ONLY game that people were allowed to stay at their vehicles was last years homecoming game. Not quite sure why security allowed this to happen but they did. Go to UNH and see that they allow you to stay the entire time in the parking lot and some of the UNH fans just thow their trash and leave without entering the game, probably students or just recent grads but much different than how Maine's tailgating is.
The tailgating at Maine is fun, family orientated and adds to the experience. From Coach H's pregame interview to the cheerleaders performing in the parking lots the to the Band and their excellent performance pregame it all adds to the game experience. The huge increase in attendance last year certainly shows UMaine is doing something correct.
I did not agree initially with the band on the visitors side but with an increase in student attendance I am fine with it now. I know I leave many games hoarse but do agree that many fans could be more vocal. Still it is much better than it was but please do something about the snackbar line so MJ doesn't have to wait so long for his popcorn ;)
fafan

Postby augie » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:31 am

Archer Bunker wrote:

Excellent Point Jeffy. Brings us back to the question I posted a few weeks back as "why do people feel they need to drink before the game?" Maybe UMO should have a game with out booze and they could call it the Family Fun Day. Show the children that we don't need alcohol to have a good time at the game. Or do we need it?

AB

you'll see a max exodus if you don't allow drinking. don't like booze, don't partake. I haven't read any incidents of fans getting hammered and then being jerk offs so not sure why this is an issue for you at all.
augie

Postby thebam » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:00 am

I think part of your issues here Jeff could be resolved by simply selling beer , like other universities do, inside the stadium. This also speaks to a larger issue of concessions..
thebam

Postby fafan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:28 am

thebam wrote:

I think part of your issues here Jeff could be resolved by simply selling beer , like other universities do, inside the stadium. This also speaks to a larger issue of concessions..

Bam, you do know UMaine has sold beer at the football games for 3 or 4 years? Maybe you are referring to hockey games and I thought I remember why they don't but since the concessions at the hockey games have a 1/4 of the items they used to, they should look closer at the beer concession option. ;)
You used to wait in line for hockey concessions , not really an issue anymore :roll:
fafan

Postby fafan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:22 pm

MJ and AB. What was the lot closest to the stadium, LOT A, is now family fun only and NO Alcohol. We were there 10 yrs with people who chose to drink and those who chose not to. Now it is NO Alcohol at all and there is no charge to tailgate there. Isn't this adequate?

http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/2016 ... ation.aspx
fafan

Postby thebam » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:59 pm

fafan wrote:
thebam wrote:

Bam, you do know UMaine has sold beer at the football games for 3 or 4 years? Maybe you are referring to hockey games and I thought I remember why they don't but since the concessions at the hockey games have a 1/4 of the items they used to, they should look closer at the beer concession option. ;)
You used to wait in line for hockey concessions , not really an issue anymore :roll:

at the concession stand?
thebam

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics