Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby mainejeff » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:01 pm

augie wrote:
Stop being the grammar police. That aside, Walt will LOVE the phonetic spelling from Cim. :D

F the grammar...I didn't know WTF it meant...hence my posting the definition. How come I have to defend everything that I post? This place just sucks the fun & life out everything... :|
mainejeff

Postby augie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:58 pm

mainejeff wrote:
augie wrote:
Stop being the grammar police. That aside, Walt will LOVE the phonetic spelling from Cim. :D

F the grammar...I didn't know WTF it meant...hence my posting the definition. How come I have to defend everything that I post? This place just sucks the fun & life out everything... :|

i use that word often so I just assume you did too. was just busting your chops.

it's all good.....you might just need a snickers.
augie

Postby thebam » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:54 am

Mr Diamond, another item that would enhance the overall fan experience involves local media. Specifically , the Bangor Daily News. Their coverage of the programs is sorely lacking. They could do so much more , yet choose not to. Pre-season player profiles are 1 way to keep the program on the front pages and it helps give the fans a face to the name of the players. Putting out 1 story, a week before the season is just not enough. As the sole print media outlet in that area, they should make your programs more of a priority. Maine athletics should be a big deal, and with the coverage they provide, it's treated like an 8th grade round robin sometimes. Local radio in this area ( Oklahoma) has already started with player profiles for both state schools for the upcoming football season. It's summer . There isn't anything else going on until football starts. They are keeping the programs on the front burner. Granted, it's a much bigger deal down here, but the concepts are the same. Get people talking about " player X " for Maine football now, not a week before kick off.
thebam

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:41 am

some ideas for profiles for the BDN:

Josh Mack and Earnest Edwards ("UMaine's offensive two-headed monster")
Uchenna Egwuonwu (new #9 must lead young DLine after losing Cole, Kozlakowski, Bates, Ricard, and Greene the last 3 seasons)
Max Staver (long and winding road leads QB to UMaine)
DeAndre Scott and Max O'Neil (look into how the college transfer scene works for football)
Brandon Vicens, Mozai Nelson (dual sport athletes)
Sterling Sheffield (just because he's awesome I don't have an angle)
Quadrick Barnes (what the heck is up with JUCOs)
UMaineSuperfan

Postby JDiamond » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:13 pm

WalterWhite - Sorry I hadn't responded to your post. With some points made in jest, I thought it would be best to tread lightly...Glad you liked the Sigi shirt and we are planning some similar giveaways for this season. One in particular we are very excited to announce, but will wait for photos to to it justice :D

Coach Cim - To clarify, I am John Jr. I appreciate the kind words about my father and grandparents, and as a 3rd generation UMaine Alumn and life-long Black Bear fan I assure you I have the same passion for UMaine Athletics and take a similar, analytical approach to the points you mentioned. To address your questions, I am not involved in most of what you discussed. The only way I can affect the performance on the field is to do everything I can to fill the stands and make our games and the university a place that fans, student-athletes, and recruits want to be. I can tell you that coaches and administrators do exit-interviews, but do not know specifics.

Bam - Thanks for the ideas and we will have a lot of video content focused on these types of stories in the near future. From there, we can't control what local media decides to carry on their own, so overall we've looked to provide thorough coverage of our games, events, and student-athletes through our own channels like social media and goblackbears.com and have a significant reach through those channels. We are also working on getting people talking about the season much earlier as you mentioned. Those around Orono will hopefully see some new signs as of today as they drive around town, and we'll be at the Old Port Festival this weekend with some giveaways and tickets available for the game in Portland. A lot of exciting things to come!
JDiamond

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:23 pm

Hey John,

I was thinking about your post and I guess I sort of think about UMaine's gameday experience in three parts
1) getting people to the game
2) having a good time while they are there
3) actually being engaged in the game and being "good fans"

It seems like you all have done a lot for the first two, but I really see the last one lacking. I can't tell you how many times the football team has had to ask the crowd to make noise on an important third down in the second quarter, or how many times the crowd has not acknowledged a really great defensive shift by a hockey player, or a great backdoor pass for a layup at a basketball game. I also don't think fans really know who the players are, nor do they form an attachment to them.

I think you could make some inroads on that front.

Short of giving fans cheer sheets, I think it would be a reasonable idea to have student ambassadors go around and talk to fans during the game and try to get them cheering at the right times and for the right things.

Also, fans used to love the fat heads that were made of the athletes...this is an easy way to increase fan engagement and form an attachment. I see no reason why the program hand outs can't include a short human interest type story for each player as well. Another easy, cheap thing is to make signs for children that have fun slogans on them for specific players. There is no good reason why there wasn't an Air Canada sign when Justin Edwards played in Orono. For this coming year there should be a Big Red sign (Fleming's twitter handle is literally FlemingBigRed), in addition to some sort of Lee Academy panda type play on words considering we have 5 players on the roster from Lee, plus any other fun signs you can think of. Why don't fans have signs with "travel" or "dunk" or "3" on them to use when UMaine does something exciting? Why aren't there "sections" dedicated to players like at NFL games i.e. "Calixte's Crew" that get a special prize if the player is selected as the america east player of the game. If I'm a 12 year old from Old Town going to a men's bball game at the cross center I haven't seen enough from you guys that is getting me connected to the team in a fun way. Right now everyone is quiet, so being loud makes you the outgroup. You need to make it easy for everyone to cheer and be rowdy! it starts with greek life because they can at least force their members to go to games to get some fan noise, but nobody wants to sit on their own at the end of the court on those steel bleachers. give the students a good section at mid court about half way up one side of the arena for men's and women's games.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:40 pm

UMSF hit the nail on the head with that post! All about fan engagement at these games! We have an up and coming football team and people need to stop sitting on their hands! Maybe reach out to the frats and have them start a Student version of Friends of Maine Football that helps engage the fan base? I would like to see the band and student section return to the home side of the field. Need them being loud and engaged behind the team. Let the visitors rot on the other side.
Men's basketball- need to win and have more than 5 dunks for the season! Bring in school kids and guest high school bands by the bus load to try and fill up the Cross Center. Think outside the box- have a kids dance contest or dualing high school bands when the UMaine band is on break. Anything but the Dance Team! No offense
Last edited by Blind Zebra on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blind Zebra

Postby dunbar » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:50 pm

UMaineSuperfan wrote:It seems like you all have done a lot for the first two, but I really see the last one lacking. I can't tell you how many times the football team has had to ask the crowd to make noise on an important third down in the second quarter

They tried something this past year but it was underwhelming. Our hope is to implement designated third down cheers/songs for this fall.

Also, fans used to love the fat heads that were made of the athletes...

Anything large and distracting is great.

There is no good reason why there wasn't an Air Canada sign when Justin Edwards played in Orono.

Learfield.

Right now everyone is quiet, so being loud makes you the outgroup. You need to make it easy for everyone to cheer and be rowdy!

If I can heckle during free throws and it's quiet enough for the Vermont women's coach to bust out laughing at what I said, that's a problem.

it starts with greek life because they can at least force their members to go to games to get some fan noise,

Band.

but nobody wants to sit on their own at the end of the court on those steel bleachers. give the students a good section at mid court about half way up one side of the arena for men's and women's games.

This is core issue. First off, the bleachers are designed for outdoors, stored outdoors, and falling apart (they aren't configured properly to meet our standard setup needs but that another problem). Also, there's no student section in our "home" arena. If it's going to be a long-term venue, then Spectra and the CIC needs to invest in a real set portable bleachers from Hussey Seating (the Expo has something just like this). 10 to 12 rows would be perfect, plus it goes to an in-state company. If that's not possible, flip the benches and place the band and students in the lower horseshoe end. Band and students should ALWAYS be opposite from the home bench and basket in the second half.
Last edited by dunbar on Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dunbar

Postby dunbar » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:57 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:I would like to see the band and student section return to the home side of the field. Need them being load and engaged behind the team.

Absolutely not. This is the best change we've made. It allows our sound to project across the whole field, plus it looks great on TV. Visitors hate it, that's the point.

Bring in school kids and guest high school bands by the bus load to try and fill up the Cross Center.

We've offered, but no one bites. We held band day at hockey last year during break to fill the balcony and we had six bands show up.

Think outside the box- have a kids dance contest or dueling high school bands when the UMaine band is on break.

We cover all break games unless it's the week between Christmas and New Year's or there's an outside conflict (like last year with Fenway). Two bands at once is tough enough, two bands at once during break isn't going to happen.

Anything but the Dance Team!

:roll:
dunbar

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:05 pm

Dunbar- I love the UMaine band but from a fan's perspective on the home side...it's not loud enough. The band is needed on the home side to fire up the crowd and our players. Let the crickets chirp on the visitors side!
Blind Zebra

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics