Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby Archer Bunker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:20 am

bballnut wrote:I thought I was the only nut on the board .. I've watched you ref and coach over the years bcbc55 and think you offer lots of good insight ..

history repeats itself and you have some history ... :D


bballnut good to see you posting again it's been quite a while. How is the wife and kids?
Good to have one of the good posters back.

AB
Archer Bunker
 
Posts: 3534
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:27 pm
Location: Augusta Area

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:21 am

the posters on this board should really take a long hard look in the mirror.

all people do on here is whine about the administration and the decisions they make, and then when one of them comes on here in earnest looking for ways to improve the fan experience all they get in return is snark, off-topic chatter, and utter nonsense. c'mon people.
User avatar
UMaineSuperfan
 
Posts: 4602
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:47 pm
Location: Orono, Maine

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby mainejeff » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:58 am

UMaineSuperfan wrote:the posters on this board should really take a long hard look in the mirror.

all people do on here is whine about the administration and the decisions they make, and then when one of them comes on here in earnest looking for ways to improve the fan experience all they get in return is snark, off-topic chatter, and utter nonsense. c'mon people.


Guilty as charged sir. But there are some easy fixes that are continually ignored (like fixing the damn PA system at Alfond Stadium!!! :evil: ). And I'm sorry, but some of the hokey (and I'm sure inexpensive) promotional activities at games just don't cut it in today's world. Watching kids run up and down the court may be cute, but it does little to raise the level of the fan experience other than to remind us how quaint and "local" the product is.

It comes down to competitiveness.....the teams don't always have to win. But if they are being run off the court or fields by a conference peer....especially a UNH or Vermont.....then Houston, we have a problem.

I also feel like UMaine has been very bad at the "details".....as they say, the devil is in the details. If there is a problem with the ticketing experience, people at the door are clueless, the concession stand has a long line because there is only 1 open, the bathrooms are dirty, the best seats are all empty, the music is heinous or too loud, etc, etc......yes, some of that stuff is not always under the complete control of the athletic dept.......but those things should be tackled at some point. Some of that stuff goes on season after season after season......that tells me that no one is listening....or no one cares.
User avatar
mainejeff
 
Posts: 17957
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:20 pm

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby JDiamond » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:14 pm

Thank you to everyone that has provided feedback so far. To address a few specific questions/ideas:

Fafan - Great to hear you enjoyed the tailgating last season and we look forward to growing that environment even further. We are currently working on plans for bringing that atmosphere to Portland for the Delaware game. No news to share at this point but definitely a priority.

Crunch - Community engagement is extremely important and I am often amazed at how much some of the student-athletes and coaches do, but also something that we want others to get more involved in and something that we are working on doing a better job of publicizing in the future.

Dunbar - Engagement at the game is another area we are really working on for this coming season. If you have any specific ideas, please let me know.

Bam - Great ideas. As I said to MJ, there are certain obligations that we're locked in for, or marketing opportunities that must be purchased by businesses through Learfield, such as the weekly Coaches Shows at Seasons in Bangor. Often my role is to show how these opportunities can be improved for both the fan and the sponsor during an existing contract while also preparing for the best opportunity for fans and the sponsor when they look to renew a deal. The past season we did invest more in fan giveaways and some new ways to draw attention to the games such as the Maine Football Saturday "political signs" that garnered a lot of attention, and will be continuing those efforts. Really would like to get a parking shuttle going (as we do for homecoming) more frequently if we can get the resources to support it.

MaineJeff - I certainly understand many of your points regarding the fan experience. All are items we are looking to address, but some are more challenging than others to address immediately, especially when we're dealing with higher cost items and/or multi-year contracts with certain obligations to sponsors/vendors. While not all of these changes and improvements are immediate, there are some exciting ones in the works. Never say never ;)

Thank you all again for your ideas and support, and I look forward to hearing more!
JDiamond
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:24 pm

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby waltwhite » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:34 pm

JDiamond wrote:Thank you to everyone that has provided feedback so far. To address a few specific questions/ideas:

Fafan - Great to hear you enjoyed the tailgating last season and we look forward to growing that environment even further. We are currently working on plans for bringing that atmosphere to Portland for the Delaware game. No news to share at this point but definitely a priority.

Crunch - Community engagement is extremely important and I am often amazed at how much some of the student-athletes and coaches do, but also something that we want others to get more involved in and something that we are working on doing a better job of publicizing in the future.

Dunbar - Engagement at the game is another area we are really working on for this coming season. If you have any specific ideas, please let me know.

Bam - Great ideas. As I said to MJ, there are certain obligations that we're locked in for, or marketing opportunities that must be purchased by businesses through Learfield, such as the weekly Coaches Shows at Seasons in Bangor. Often my role is to show how these opportunities can be improved for both the fan and the sponsor during an existing contract while also preparing for the best opportunity for fans and the sponsor when they look to renew a deal. The past season we did invest more in fan giveaways and some new ways to draw attention to the games such as the Maine Football Saturday "political signs" that garnered a lot of attention, and will be continuing those efforts. Really would like to get a parking shuttle going (as we do for homecoming) more frequently if we can get the resources to support it.

MaineJeff - I certainly understand many of your points regarding the fan experience. All are items we are looking to address, but some are more challenging than others to address immediately, especially when we're dealing with higher cost items and/or multi-year contracts with certain obligations to sponsors/vendors. While not all of these changes and improvements are immediate, there are some exciting ones in the works. Never say never ;)

Thank you all again for your ideas and support, and I look forward to hearing more!


Respectfully mr dimond. You did not address my points. I was really hoping you may like a few of them. I actually have a few more. If you would like to email me. Let me know. I can give you my address. I know the phoenetic spelling on jerseys is probably a long shot but the names on women's hoops were tough. It would help adults. I guarantee Tal couldn't pronounce 86% of the players nanes. Plus it would be ground breaking. First teams in the country to do it
Thanks again fir reaching out

Walt White
2017 bcbc poster of the year.
waltwhite
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:48 pm

John:

Excellent job in responding to Crunch, Fafan, mainejeff and Bam's concerns and questions. Job well thought out and done.

However, like waltwhite you didn't respond to my concerns and questions.

You didn't touch my question about personal of the teams way below .500.

But what about how to draw better for these losing programs by using more Maine athletes because if Maine is going to lose do it with Maine kids and hiring more Maine coaches who would recruit more Maine kids?

AS I asked before, Does UMaine have an exit transfer questionnaire?

I realize my 3 questions are about personal and that may not be in your baileywick, which if is the case, then I completely understand your not answering my questions.

Wish Maine would hire more Mainers like you for the athletic department be it coaches, administrators, etc. and recruit more Maine kids who will stay at Maine.

Most times Mainers are not looking to use UMaine as a career stepping stone as most of the UMaine Coaches, players (16 basketball transfers 11 men the past two years and 5 women this season) and Administrators seem to be.

Just a few concerns from a UMaine Graduate Program Master's Degree Student of 1972 and 57 years as a Maine taxpayer and 67 years as a UMaine fan who would rather see the money for scholarships and salaries stay in state.

Winning would cure a lot of the problems for the losing UMaine athletic teams, but Maine kids losing should outdraw out-of-state athletes losing and create more fan interest..

But this is just one MBRer's "Nuttin" opinion which is not shared with many here on MBR..

Miss the Diamonds at the corner of Howard and Mt. Hope Avenue.

Always enjoyed your dad especially as a fellow teacher at Bangor High.

CIM
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby mainejeff » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:44 am

bcbc55 wrote:I realize my 3 questions are about personal and that may not be in your baileywick....

CIM


bail·i·wick
ˈbāləˌwik/Submit
noun
1.
one's sphere of operations or particular area of interest.
"you never give the presentations—that's my bailiwick"
2.
LAW
the district or jurisdiction of a bailie or bailiff.
User avatar
mainejeff
 
Posts: 17957
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:20 pm

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby augie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:48 am

mainejeff wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:I realize my 3 questions are about personal and that may not be in your baileywick....

CIM


bail·i·wick
ˈbāləˌwik/Submit
noun
1.
one's sphere of operations or particular area of interest.
"you never give the presentations—that's my bailiwick"
2.
LAW
the district or jurisdiction of a bailie or bailiff.


Stop being the grammar police. That aside, Walt will LOVE the phonetic spelling from Cim. :D
augie
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:57 am

mainejeff wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:I realize my 3 questions are about personal and that may not be in your baileywick....

CIM


bail·i·wick
ˈbāləˌwik/Submit
noun
1.
one's sphere of operations or particular area of interest.
"you never give the presentations—that's my bailiwick"
2.
LAW
the district or jurisdiction of a bailie or bailiff.[/quote

MJ: Thanks for the correction. I learn something new everyday even at my age. I know I should have looked bailiwick up in my Dictionary.

Thanks again.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:58 am

mainejeff wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:I realize my 3 questions are about personal and that may not be in your baileywick....

CIM


bail·i·wick
ˈbāləˌwik/Submit
noun
1.
one's sphere of operations or particular area of interest.
"you never give the presentations—that's my bailiwick"
2.
LAW
the district or jurisdiction of a bailie or bailiff.[/quote

MJ: Thanks for the correction. I learn something new everyday even at my age. I know I should have looked bailiwick up in my Dictionary.

Thanks again.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bcbc55, Blackbear28, turkeyman and 48 guests