Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby augie » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:53 am

Walt cracks me up. Well done.
augie

Postby dunbar » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:30 am

I think the biggest problem is not getting people to the game, but getting people engaged in the game. The women's basketball crowd has infiltrated the hockey and football crowds as well.

Louder crowd ➡️ Better on-field results ➡️ Bigger crowds ➡️ $$$
dunbar

Postby mainejeff » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:53 am

For Football -

1. Concessions - Nothing will ever be done with this so I won't even bother anymore.

2. Portable heaters for late Oct & Nov games. These could also be used for students waiting in line at hockey games.

3. Better pre-game music. Sorry but for most fans the music that they play SUCKS. Yeah, it's chosen by the 20 year old players.....but game days are for the fans. The music is also way too loud. Play your sh*t music at practice. And this isn't the rant of an "old guy"...this is a suggestion for improving the fan experience. What type of music do you hear at Boston Red Sox and Patriot games? I rest my case.

4. Can someone fix the PA system? It has never been right since the new stadium opened. Pathetic that you can't hear announcements or the refs. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hockey -

1. Fire Red Gendron

Basketball -

1. Try to keep the roster intact for more than 1 season. :oops:
mainejeff

Postby thebam » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:16 am

1. Continue to expand and promote the tailgating experience. Not just football. Encourage tailgating for hockey as well. Make it an experience , not just a pre-game get together. Market and Promote. Have radio stations do live broadcasts during pregame .. give away Maine stuff... ie.. coozies, lanyards, etc... get people excited about the game day experience.

2. Sell beer at all events. This has been done at some larger Universities around the country and it is highly successful and highly profitable.

3. Have live Coaches shows at various locations around the area. Use those appearances to give away tickets and/or merchandise. ie.. have a drawing at the end of the show, present to win and give out a jersey, or a hat, or a suite for a game.. Spend some cash, to make some cash.

4. Use shuttles for games. Parking is horrendous around the Alfond. Have people park across campus and offer up free shuttles , running continuously back and forth.

At the end of the day, Maine needs to do more to get people to the games. Sure, winning is out of your hands, and that would obviously make the crowds bigger, but short of that, for now, other methods to get people out need to be employed. The more people at a game, the better the atmosphere, and thus, the better the experience.
thebam

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:51 am

augie wrote:Walt cracks me up. Well done.

me too.. I think walt may be a re-incarnation of previously ostracized poster ..
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:42 pm

augie wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:
augie wrote:Can't wait for Cim to chime in.

augie: WHY? John is a very intelligent, UMaine experienced and knowlegable individual and a great person.

He is a former neighbor and student of mine. only thing he didn't do IS NAME THE LOSING AND LOW ATTENDANCE PROGRAMS

He like some others here on MBR did not have the solutions to these losing programs to at least improve their interest and attendance even if they can't at least reach .500.

Cim, to chime in on how to improve UMaine's athletics. Not everyone on here thinks your nuts so don't be so defensive.

PS: one of my neighbors is an a-hole and some former students are as well. Not saying John is but what's your point?

augie: My bad and I apologize for taking your post the wrong way...the negative....but many or even most do think I am nuts, as I do identify myself as an very old unorthodox thinker as an athletic Administrator, coach official and writer.

My point about knowing John as a neighbor and student was to illustrate that I have known him as a very, fair, reasonable, positive person and that when he writes about UMaine athletics that he does so from experience and honesty.

Also I find that if he presents a problem he trys to have a positive answer to improve the situation, much like he has done in his most recent post with the many improvements in the UMaine athletic program to make it very more fan friendly.

My only criticisms of him and the athletic department and administrators is when will they state and identify the programs that cannot come close to .500 seasons, the reasons for them not winning and what are they going to do about them to try to improve them in at least the attendance area.

Also would like to know if they have a exit meeting for all transfers out and a form for the transfers to fill out stating the reasons that they are transferring?

This form could be signed or unsigned by the transfer.

In these losing programs do they encourage the coaches to try to recruit the best Maine athletes who win or lose might help improve interest and fan support.

Again, sorry for taking your post personal, Thanks for the support and not thinking of me as a nut, a very old one at that. Remember, I am closer to 80 than I am 79.

CIM
bcbc55

Postby bballnut » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:52 pm

I thought I was the only nut on the board .. I've watched you ref and coach over the years bcbc55 and think you offer lots of good insight ..

history repeats itself and you have some history ... :D
bballnut

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:32 pm

bballnut wrote:I thought I was the only nut on the board .. I've watched you ref and coach over the years bcbc55 and think you offer lots of good insight ..

history repeats itself and you have some history ... :D

"bballnut": Why thank you very much for your kind and considerate post.

I call myself a unorothodox basketball nut because I am very old school and never changed my philosophy about the game since In started coaching in 1960 and reffing in the mid 50's.

When something is successful and is not broke why fix it?

I definitely believe that the style and philosophy I used coaching from 1960-2000 could still be successful in today's game as many or even most coaches let the basketball players run the basketball games run and gun offenses because most high school and college coaches allow the players to determine who shoots, when they shoot and where they shoot from...which usually leads to very poor shot selection which leads to very low shooting percentages and lower scoring games.

As far as officiating goes if the high school game would use the college games philosophy of calling fouls by ADVANTAGE/DISADVANTAGE IT WOULD MAKE FOR A BETTER FLOWING GAME.

Games should be determined by who is playing, nt by players in foul trouble.

THANKS FOR YOU ENCOURAGING POST, NICE TO GET A POSITIVE ONCE IN AWHILE.

Discouraging we can't get few more basketball nuts and then we could have a small bag of basketball nuts to post with. But most probably would have to be old basketball nuts like you "bballnut" and myself.

Like they say "even a visually squirrel finds a nut once in a while".

CIM

P.S. Just a little curious over the years where did you see me coach and ref? If I am not too nosey of a basketball nut?
bcbc55

Postby thebam » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:53 pm

My point about knowing John as a neighbor and student was to illustrate that I have known him as a very, fair, reasonable, positive person and that when he writes about UMaine athletics that he does so from experience and honesty.

Also I find that if he presents a problem he trys to have a positive answer to improve the situation, much like he has done in his most recent post with the many improvements in the UMaine athletic program to make it very more fan friendly.

My only criticisms of him and the athletic department and administrators is when will they state and identify the programs that cannot come close to .500 seasons,we already know who they are. How would him identifying them improve the fan experience? the reasons for them not winning and what are they going to do about them to try to improve them in at least the attendance area.

Also would like to know if they have a exit meeting for all transfers out and a form for the transfers to fill out stating the reasons that they are transferring?why would they do this? the coach already knows the reason. we do not need to know.

In these losing programs do they encourage the coaches to try to recruit the best Maine athletes who win or lose might help improve interest and fan support.

Again, sorry for taking your post personal, Thanks for the support and not thinking of me as a nut, a very old one at that. Remember, I am closer to 80 than I am 79.

CIM[/quote]
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:42 pm

thebam wrote:My point about knowing John as a neighbor and student was to illustrate that I have known him as a very, fair, reasonable, positive person and that when he writes about UMaine athletics that he does so from experience and honesty.

My only criticisms of him and the athletic department and administrators is when will they state and identify the programs that cannot come close to .500 seasons,we already know who they are. How would him identifying them improve the fan experience? the reasons for them not winning and what are they going to do about them to try to improve them in at least the attendance area.

Also would like to know if they have a exit meeting for all transfers out and a form for the transfers to fill out stating the reasons that they are transferring?why would they do this? the coach already knows the reason. we do not need to know.

CIM
[/quote]

TheBam: Like the red letters for questioning parts of my posts. Excelleent points and questions.

1. I am sure others besides me do not know which teams programs are not close to .500 and what would he recommend how to improve the attendance, improve wins for these low win programs and are they teaching the life lessons that are not being taught or learned in the athletes academic classes

2. As an AD I would want to know why there are so many transfers from one program in 2 years.

Both of these 1 and 2 should be general knowledge for the taxpayers for a public, land grant, state athletic program seeing our tax money helps support these losing programs.

As a high school AD for 16 years 5 in a large (1200 plus) public school and 11 in a private school (400) in the same community my experience tells me I should know the problems and have some definite proposals to fix the problems of attendance, improving wins and teaching life lessons, especially in a public setting.

Just CIM's No-NUTTIN CIM's OPINION.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics