University of New England...GOTTA SEE EM!

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

University of New England...GOTTA SEE EM!

Postby m1010 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:26 pm

Very over looked and very good. Longest win streak in the country D-3. 17 wins in a row after today. For any southern mainers UNE plays down in Biddeford Pool. I have seen many games and they are way athletic and way deep. After speaking with fellow MBR'ers that have caught a game or 2 we are all in agreement that they could definitely play with many solid D-1 schools. They are really fun to watch if you get a chance. Find the schedule at http://www.une.edu
m1010

Re: University of New England...GOTTA SEE EM!

Postby Patsfan07 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:39 pm

m1010 wrote:After speaking with fellow MBR'ers that have caught a game or 2 we are all in agreement that they could definitely play with many solid D-1 schools.

:lol: UNE couldn't compete with D1 schools....hey, they've had a great run this year, but keep it in perspective....or I'll have to remind you that they've lost to USM !! :lol:
Patsfan07

Postby xyz » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:46 pm

Lets not go overboard. UNE is playing great basketball and they have certainly turned the corner with this new coach with his obvious Texas connection. But UNE isn't even in the top 25 in D3, nor have they recieved any votes. With that said, could they give UMAINE a run for their money? I think it would be intesting. I know UMAINE just looks to get a W any way they can by playing UMPI and UMAINE Augusta. But do they get anything out of those games? I'd like to see UMAINE play a the two best D3 schools in the state each year. Lets see how UMAINES homegrown Duds, I mean talent does against the likes of this UNE team, Bowdoin, or Saint Joe's. Am I saying UMAINE would lose, no, but those three teams would certainly give them fits. Unlike the likes of the OWLS of UMPI....what a joke.
xyz

Postby tubasket » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:27 pm

UNE is playing well and winning games, but they aren't getting votes for the 25 and aren't in the top 10 in the Northeast region. So there is no way that anyone can make the claim that they could compete at the D1 level. They would struggle against D2 programs as well. While we cant penalize them for their schedule, but it is not very strong. The only Maine teams with weaker ones are Thomas, UM-Maritime and UM-Presque Isle.
tubasket

Postby portlanddleaguefan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:20 pm

UNE is now ranked in the regional poll - #10 in New England - that's pretty good. Also, just beat Colby Sawyer today to clinch the top seed in their conference tourney!! 20-3 on the year so far!
portlanddleaguefan

Postby SeaDogsFan » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:24 am

I did see them on the channelsurfing site... had a game against endicott that I believe endicott was streaming. They looked rather solid. Whitelaw had a good game I believe.

...Though I also challenge the Endicott guys to find "Cheverus, Maine" on the map :p
"Brace yourself everyone. Here come the uneducated rants of fans that know what really happened but choose to revel in the obserdity" ~ ballerdad
SeaDogsFan

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics