UMBC 73 UMaine Men 68 in overtime

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: UMBC 73 UMaine Men 68 in overtime

Postby idroptreys23 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 pm

mainejeff wrote:Peay did not miss a shot all night.

He and McNally combined for six shots, that is a shot less than McNally's season average alone.

mbr2 wrote:From my perspective the wings in Maines offense make most of the post entries and I have not seen Owes,Socoby or Mclemore very skilled in doing that. Rogers has that ability but the coaches have not, based on games seen, had the point as the person who enters the ball to the post. Hope this clarifies.

They were previously finding a way to get McNally more than double the attempts he made. How does Rogers shape up defensively? How well does he rebound? How well does he shoot the ball? Can he penetrate and create offense for himself or is passing the ball around the perimeter really that valuable?
idroptreys23

Postby TakeChargeAnywhere » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:49 pm

How freakin difficult is it to see a post player of McNally size (6'6 245lbs) on the block? C'mon folks the game of basketball shouldn't be this difficult. I don't always agree w/BCBC but it seems obvious to most that the post guys must get more touches/attempts to best utilize them. This would also make the perimeter game much easier along w/penetration from the slashers like Bernal.
TakeChargeAnywhere

Postby mbr2 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:33 pm

Rogers, although lacking in size is a more than adequate defender,especially in a zone, which is Maine's base D. he has quick feet and hands, knowkedge and is willing to work. In regard to O he can push the ball sees the court well and has the ability,if the system willallow, to get them some easy baskets. In regard to shooting adequate at best a facilitator rather than a scorer, but a passer that can get the ball in places to score better than anyone else on the Maine team. A much better point guard than many on this board give him credit for. he will also make foul shots .
mbr2

Postby mainejeff » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:50 pm

mbr2 wrote:Rogers........A much better point guard than many on this board give him credit for.

Until recently, we've barely seen him play!
mainejeff

Postby kgbasics » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:58 pm

mbr2, you're right concerning Rogers. He looked comfortable, poised and efficient.

Most of the time the wings didn't even look into the post when receiving the ball. I'd like to have seen McNally take their 6'9" guy to task more and get him to commit some fouls.

If it's true that the wings are not skilled enough for the entry pass, then I'd say that would be a priority in practice. In the mean time, could Bernal make the pass from the wing with Rogers at point?

This was the only game I've seen this year, but from what I'm reading and hearing, we are a one dimensional perimeter team.

This team has the talent to win. I can't believe that it's Ted's strategy to be a one dimensional team. Other than mbr2 and bcbc55, have any of you coached... at any level?

Development can take time and be ugly while in process. Sometimes we have to endure a coach's growing pains.
kgbasics

Postby TakeChargeAnywhere » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:11 pm

Can someone, anyone tell me why it so hard to throw a pass into the post to a man whom has his person totally sealed?

This isn't rocket science folks. It seems there is no urgency to make the pass low. It only makes basketball sense where I am concerneed. Has anyone heard the term "inside/out" ? A very basic strategy on most teams. Do they not have faith in McNally and or Peay ?

I have been to a few games and it perplexes me why its not made more of a concentrated effort to get it low. Lots of good things happen from there: fouls, foul shots, scores, better offensive rebounding position, kick outs for OPEN 3s. Can someone explain to me what the downside is ?
TakeChargeAnywhere

Postby mainejeff » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:56 pm

TakeChargeAnywhere wrote:Can someone, anyone tell me why it so hard to throw a pass into the post to a man whom has his person totally sealed?

This isn't rocket science folks. It seems there is no urgency to make the pass low. It only makes basketball sense where I am concerneed. Has anyone heard the term "inside/out" ? A very basic strategy on most teams. Do they not have faith in McNally and or Peay ?

I have been to a few games and it perplexes me why its not made more of a concentrated effort to get it low. Lots of good things happen from there: fouls, foul shots, scores, better offensive rebounding position, kick outs for OPEN 3s. Can someone explain to me what the downside is ?

There is none. I feel your pain and frustration.......but we'll just have to give Woodward the time to figure things out.......maybe the next 5 years of Woodward ball will be better than the last 5 years......???
mainejeff

Postby idroptreys23 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:04 am

Been saying it since day one, Woodward runs a perimeter oriented scheme. He has a lot of trust in the shot making ability of Owes, Socoby, and McLemore. I don't know if he's explored what penetration and kicking, or post entry and kick out would do for those shooters, but it doesn't really appear that he puts much emphasis on getting his big men shots. Every play they run is a screen for their guards.
idroptreys23

Postby mainejeff » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:41 am

idroptreys23 wrote:Been saying it since day one, Woodward runs a perimeter oriented scheme. He has a lot of trust in the shot making ability of Owes, Socoby, and McLemore. I don't know if he's explored what penetration and kicking, or post entry and kick out would do for those shooters, but it doesn't really appear that he puts much emphasis on getting his big men shots. Every play they run is a screen for their guards.

Maybe 4 or 5 years of 8th/9th place finishes may change his mind.....???
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:32 pm

TakeChargeAnywhere wrote:Can someone, anyone tell me why it so hard to throw a pass into the post to a man whom has his person totally sealed?

TakeChargeAnywhere"

There are only 3 logical reasons.

1. The players do not want to pass the ball inside and the coach does not make them.

2. The coach does not believe in an inside/outside game, but if he does believe, he has not got enough discipline to get the ball inside.

3. The coach would like to get the ball inside but does not how to get the ball inside properly by using the proper offensive sets that allows for defensives to play a big price when they do double down.

Pick your poison. None make any sense. Neither does the Maine Men's Basketball Supervisors of Substitutions Staff, NOT ONLY NOT GETTING THE BALL INSIDE, THEY HAVE MAINE BORN PLAYERS OUT OF POSITION WHICH LEADS TO THEM TO BE LESS EFFECTIVE THEN THEY SHOULD BE.

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO REALLY, REALLY AGREES WITH ME ABOUT MAINE NOT GETTING THE BALL INSIDE ENOUGH.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics