UMBC 73 UMaine Men 68 in overtime

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: UMBC 73 UMaine Men 68 in overtime

Postby bainsey » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:23 am

aechamps wrote:Don't do it know it would upset Bainsey.

Huh? Check your sentence, AE.

Yes, this is a tough one to take. We could all go around whining and crying and throwing blame and get out the axes, or we could channel it into Hartford Wednesday night.
bainsey

Postby aechamps » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:43 am

Sorry for the spelling mistakes forgot to take my hangover meds that I ordered from the game the other night.(vermont/umaine game on nesn) These last few games have been tough.

STOP THE BLEEDING.
aechamps

Postby idroptreys23 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:13 am

The offense is by design, someone has to tell Woodward that an offense not centered around 3 point shooting is best for this team.
idroptreys23

Postby allsportsfan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:56 am

idroptreys23 wrote:The offense is by design, someone has to tell Woodward that an offense not centered around 3 point shooting is best for this team.

Why do the think the players "struggle" with the offense, they know it is one they should not be playing. No one likes their role to be setting picks all night for the guards to shoot the 3.
allsportsfan

Postby mainejeff » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:47 pm

bainsey wrote:
aechamps wrote:Don't do it know it would upset Bainsey.

Huh? Check your sentence, AE.

Yes, this is a tough one to take. We could all go around whining and crying and throwing blame and get out the axes, or we could channel it into Hartford Wednesday night.

And then who after Hartford, bainsey?......... :roll:

You have to admit that after a certain number of seasons......the excuses start wearing thin. Yes, given enough years, Whitehead and Woodward could turn things around........but can we afford to give them 5.....10....15 more seasons? Isn't there a point in time when you need to cut your losses and try someone new? I know that the State of Maine HATES change. It's good to be loyal and patient.........but I'd hate to see 2 or 3 generations die off before Maine basketball ever makes it to the NCAA Tourney (like the Red Sox before they finally got over the hump)
mainejeff

Postby mainejeff » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:50 pm

idroptreys23 wrote:The offense is by design, someone has to tell Woodward that an offense not centered around 3 point shooting is best for this team.

He keeps hoping that they will fall........ :roll:

Whatever the problem is.......Socoby has turned into a real LIABILITY......and that is a shame.
mainejeff

Postby mbr2 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:09 pm

If one looks at the game stats Mark sat a long time in the 2nd half because others were playing better. The team is close to being good. They have been competitive in most games,however they always seem to have at least one lapse that puts them in a hole. They do many things well but do have difficulty getting the ball inside,especially to McNally, but overall the staff has done a much better job and they do need that 3rd assistant to at least put thim in a position similiar to other teams in their league. I also will say to the many skeptics the Maine players are good enough to compete in the AE Conference and for long periods of time Maine had 2 freshmen,2 sophomores and a jr. on the court. They do need to eliminate those 8 to 15 lapse they seem to have in every game and be more conifident down the stretch but this team with a few additions/adjustments can be very good.
mbr2

Postby bainsey » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:03 pm

mainejeff wrote: And then who after Hartford, bainsey?.........)

Whoever the opponent is, Jeff. It's called "keeping focus."

As for this game, I was there, and Carl said it perfectly. I certainly agree that I like Mark's slashing better than his three-shooting right now, but aside from that, I can't complain about much. We all knew that every America East game is going to be a coin toss, and that's exactly what is happening.

Meanwhile, this Maine team is moving the ball better, getting better open looks to the basket and the open man, and there was a FAR better effort tonight than there was against Stony Brook. It was good to see Peay back in the mix. He had an off night too, but his mere presence seemed to elevate the others' games.

mainejeff wrote: Isn't there a point in time when you need to cut your losses and try someone new?
TRY someone new? No. "Try" implies desparation, when you don't know what else to do, and this program is far from desparate. You cut your losses when the program is going in the wrong direction. That's not happening here. The UMaine men play hard and well together, without a ton of talent, and are collectively improving.

If you hold grudges from the past, you could easily jeopardize the future. Besides, if BC's aforementioned rumors are true, this whole argument is moot anyway.
bainsey

Postby mainejeff » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:55 pm

mbr2 wrote:If one looks at the game stats Mark sat a long time in the 2nd half because others were playing better. The team is close to being good. They have been competitive in most games,however they always seem to have at least one lapse that puts them in a hole. They do many things well but do have difficulty getting the ball inside,especially to McNally, but overall the staff has done a much better job and they do need that 3rd assistant to at least put thim in a position similiar to other teams in their league. I also will say to the many skeptics the Maine players are good enough to compete in the AE Conference and for long periods of time Maine had 2 freshmen,2 sophomores and a jr. on the court. They do need to eliminate those 8 to 15 lapse they seem to have in every game and be more conifident down the stretch but this team with a few additions/adjustments can be very good.

I agree with what you said.....and good point about the 3rd assistant.....an absolutely RIDICULOUS albatross that the program should not have to deal with.
mainejeff

Postby mainejeff » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:10 pm

bainsey wrote:It was good to see Peay back in the mix. He had an off night too, but his mere presence seemed to elevate the others' games.

???

Peay was 3-3 (1-1 from 3 pt land), 2-2 from the line with 9 points and 6 rebounds in 26 minutes. Sounds like he could have scored more if someone had gotten him the ball (yes, he did have 6 turnovers).

mainejeff wrote:No. "Try" implies desparation, when you don't know what else to do, and this program is far from desparate. You cut your losses when the program is going in the wrong direction. That's not happening here. The UMaine men play hard and well together, without a ton of talent, and are collectively improving.

If you hold grudges from the past, you could easily jeopardize the future. Besides, if BC's aforementioned rumors are true, this whole argument is moot anyway.

OK.....where to start? "Try", "change", whatever.......I'm not going to play the semantic game. If you can't win after X amount of seasons then it is time to hire a new coach......period. That is what they are paid for. That is their JOB. Anyone can coach the team to an 8th or 9th place finish in America East......and do it for much less money.

This program is not going in the RIGHT direction. Yes, there are INDIVIDUALS that show signs of promise but as a TEAM, they are spinning their wheels......again.

I disagree with your statement "The UMaine men play hard and well together, without a ton of talent, and are collectively improving".......they do not play well together and are not collectively improving.......they are a fairly talented group of INDIVIDUALS and some are improving INDIVIDUALLY.

I don't hold any "grudges" from the past.......just looking at the results from the past (and present)......that's what people do when they analyze how someone is doing their JOB.

What "rumors" are you talking about???
mainejeff

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics