Basketball - Women: 2017-18:

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Basketball - Women: 2017-18:

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:29 pm

mainejeff wrote:Anxious to see Sutton, Milan & Wadling play....should have big seasons!

mainejeff: Where have you been? Missed you!.

Agree, when you add 6'5" Williams, 6'3" Barra, 5'9" Sarr and improved Brosseau 5'9" returning to 5'10" Sutton, 5'11" Millan and 6'2" Wadling only thing missing is 5'8 Koizar at point guard.

Key will be finding a replacement at point guard and not probably going to find one as good as Sigi was for this coming year.
bcbc55

Postby UMaine » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:51 am

Maine Women's Hoops‏ @BlackBearsWBB
"The Black Bear Summer Tribune" rolls on with an update from Maddy McVicar!

#BlackBearNation

Read: http://bit.ly/2vMGQl5
UMaine

Postby UMaine » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:50 am

Picture day bringing out the dance moves for the Black Bears! #BlackBearNation @AmericaEast
video: https://twitter.com/BlackBearsWBB/statu ... 3984320512
UMaine

Re: UMaine Basketball - Women: 2017-18:

Postby WFVX » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:28 am

UMaine women's hoops searches for consistency in 2017

"The issue we had last year was inconsistency. You never knew who was going to step up," she said Monday. "I'm hoping this year that consistency becomes more, and so you can depend on a lot of different kids every night."

The Black Bears lost a slew of former freshmen to transfer this offseason, but bring in a talented group of underclassmen into 2017-2018. Guard Julie Brosseau is one of those, and she too believes consistent morale and intensity will go a long way for the Black Bears.

"I think we are really focused to go back again and win the finals. So we just need to bring that energy and give it to the freshmen," the sophomore said.

And Vachon thinks the pieces, so long they are consistent, can lead this team deep.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/21 ... cy-in-2017
WFVX

Postby turkeyman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:41 am

Saw the first practice on Sunday. Everyone dressed, but Kia Barra did not participate. Don't know if it is an injury or an eligibility issue.

Lots to like, especially among the returners.

Julie Brosseau played this summer for Quebec, which I believe finished second, in the world francophone games. She looks to have been working on her dribble-penetration, and she looked pretty good at it on Sunday. In the sprints, she was consistently in the four fastest.

Maddy McVicar almost always finished first in the sprints. She continues to work hard. Her shooting looked really good, and I had to keep reminding myself that this practice was not even a scrimmage. Maddy seems to move better all the time.

Tanesha Sutton always was in the first four in the sprints. Looked to me like she has been working on staying flexible on her driving. I thought she got too many charging fouls and missed too many layups last year because she seemed to commit too early, which gave her defender time to adjust and get into position for the player-control or to force T to go around. I believe T will be a key to this team's success. Her shooting looked even better than during the season last year, but again, this was just drills.

Fanny Wadling looks good going both ways and seems to have been working on her ball handling and on going to her offside (right). She was always good at going to the right side and right hand, but looked even better. Her foot work looked really good.

Kirsten Johnson was very mobile, went well both ways and looked to be in maybe her best condition during her time at UMaine. She may be one of those kids who learns best in actual game conditions so her increased PT last year may have really helped. I believe she'll be more than just a wide body off the bench when some muscle is needed.

Sierra Tapley looked good. Her left knee was wrapped, and I don't know if that was a precaution or if there may still be problems from her ACL tear in high school. Parise Rossignol looked to be in good condition. The year off may force her to work some on her shooting, but shooting was always her strong suit, so it should come back pretty quickly. Good to have a Maine kid from class D playing for UMaine. Reminds me of Sandi Carver days.

I didn't get a really good look at Blanca Millan. She is so good, that I was interested in watching others. I am always amazed at both the length and the mobility of her arms. She can reach into places other people can't even see. When she is on the top of her game, she is a force with which to be reckoned. Ask Albany.

Among the newcomers, I was most impressed with Dor Saar. She consistently finished second to Maddy in sprints, and seemed to gain on Maddy in the longer sprints. Her shooting looked very good, and her ball handling looked good. Again, the caveat. No scrimmage here, only drills. She also had that look in the eye of a kid who is fully engaged in what she is doing. I believe she was billed as a two-way guard, and I can see her at both the point and the two.

Kat Williams seems to be well ahead of most freshman bigs. She has moves under the basket that I don't often see in kids just out of high school. I may be most impressed with her court sense, rare in most freshmen and especially in posts. She seemed to know always just where she was, even when set up back to the basket. She seems to have good hands, especially for a big. She will pick up some blocks after her man has got around her because she can reach down and in without fouling.

I didn't get a good look at Maeve Carroll or Kelly Fogarty. Maeve may have a big job ahead of her because she has been a 5-10 post and may need to become a 5-10 wing or even guard. Kelly was called the best shooter in Massachusetts, which is pretty tall praise. She may be able to come in off the bench with instant offense, the way Ellen Geraghty did 12-15 years ago.

We'll see a lot more in the exhibition against Stonehill on Oct. 28. Having the opener against Tulane is tough, especially when so many new and returning players have to be worked in, but this team may be better suited to digging in against tough opponents than was last year's team. I remain optimistic.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:17 pm

turkeyman wrote:Saw the first practice on Sunday. Everyone dressed, but Kia Barra did not participate. Don't know if it is an injury or an eligibility issue.

Lots to like, especially among the returners.

Julie Brosseau played this summer for Quebec, which I believe finished second, in the world francophone games. She looks to have been working on her dribble-penetration, and she looked pretty good at it on Sunday. In the sprints, she was consistently in the four fastest.

Maddy McVicar almost always finished first in the sprints. She continues to work hard. Her shooting looked really good, and I had to keep reminding myself that this practice was not even a scrimmage. Maddy seems to move better all the time.

Tanesha Sutton always was in the first four in the sprints. Looked to me like she has been working on staying flexible on her driving. I thought she got too many charging fouls and missed too many layups last year because she seemed to commit too early, which gave her defender time to adjust and get into position for the player-control or to force T to go around. I believe T will be a key to this team's success. Her shooting looked even better than during the season last year, but again, this was just drills.

Fanny Wadling looks good going both ways and seems to have been working on her ball handling and on going to her offside (right). She was always good at going to the right side and right hand, but looked even better. Her foot work looked really good.

Kirsten Johnson was very mobile, went well both ways and looked to be in maybe her best condition during her time at UMaine. She may be one of those kids who learns best in actual game conditions so her increased PT last year may have really helped. I believe she'll be more than just a wide body off the bench when some muscle is needed.

Sierra Tapley looked good. Her left knee was wrapped, and I don't know if that was a precaution or if there may still be problems from her ACL tear in high school. Parise Rossignol looked to be in good condition. The year off may force her to work some on her shooting, but shooting was always her strong suit, so it should come back pretty quickly. Good to have a Maine kid from class D playing for UMaine. Reminds me of Sandi Carver days.

I didn't get a really good look at Blanca Millan. She is so good, that I was interested in watching others. I am always amazed at both the length and the mobility of her arms. She can reach into places other people can't even see. When she is on the top of her game, she is a force with which to be reckoned. Ask Albany.

Among the newcomers, I was most impressed with Dor Saar. She consistently finished second to Maddy in sprints, and seemed to gain on Maddy in the longer sprints. Her shooting looked very good, and her ball handling looked good. Again, the caveat. No scrimmage here, only drills. She also had that look in the eye of a kid who is fully engaged in what she is doing. I believe she was billed as a two-way guard, and I can see her at both the point and the two.

Kat Williams seems to be well ahead of most freshman bigs. She has moves under the basket that I don't often see in kids just out of high school. I may be most impressed with her court sense, rare in most freshmen and especially in posts. She seemed to know always just where she was, even when set up back to the basket. She seems to have good hands, especially for a big. She will pick up some blocks after her man has got around her because she can reach down and in without fouling.

I didn't get a good look at Maeve Carroll or Kelly Fogarty. Maeve may have a big job ahead of her because she has been a 5-10 post and may need to become a 5-10 wing or even guard. Kelly was called the best shooter in Massachusetts, which is pretty tall praise. She may be able to come in off the bench with instant offense, the way Ellen Geraghty did 12-15 years ago.

We'll see a lot more in the exhibition against Stonehill on Oct. 28. Having the opener against Tulane is tough, especially when so many new and returning players have to be worked in, but this team may be better suited to digging in against tough opponents than was last year's team. I remain optimistic.

Bob Neal
New Sharon

Bob: Great to see you back on MBR. Thanks for the rundown. I really agree with you on Kat Williams as the video I saw on her showed everything you said about her low post on the block skills. At Williams height and size she could be very dominate in the America East Conference.

From what I have seen on film, except for finding a point guard to replace Sigi the incoming freshmen are stronger skill wise then the players that transferred out. Just my opinion. But just like I said last year in October come tournament time in the Big East Maine will be ready to make another run for the tournament championship if they can replace Sigi. That is the key.

Again,, thanks for your great, interesting and informative post.

CIM
bcbc55

Postby UMaine » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:43 am

Week one is in the books! #BlackBearNation
watch video: https://twitter.com/BlackBearsWBB/statu ... 2254123008
UMaine

Postby UMaine » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:42 am

Week 2 Practice Highlights! #BlackBearNation
watch video:
https://twitter.com/BlackBearsWBB/statu ... 3676100608

UMaine

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:49 pm

UMaine wrote:
Week 2 Practice Highlights! #BlackBearNation
watch video:
https://twitter.com/BlackBearsWBB/statu ... 3676100608

UMaine: Thanks for the film.

Disappointed didn't see Kat Williams on the short film.

She is one of the best big post player on the block that I have seen in the state of Maine high school or college on the female side, ever!

Actually knows how to post up, seal defender, show where she want's the ball and really knows how to use the power layup on the block. Is an excellent passer especially from the foul line high post. Has good hands and is an excellent ball handler.

Just hope they use her on the low block and go inside - outside more than they have in past seasons.
bcbc55

Postby WABI » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:20 am

Maine Women Picked 6th, Men 9th in Preseason Conference Basketball Polls

BANGOR, MAINE (WABI) - America East announced its preseason basketball coaches polls today and Maine women's hoops is picked to finish 6th. After making their 2nd straight conference championship game last winter not much respect. The UMaine men are picked to finish last. So, we get to root for the underdog this winter at Cross Center. No players from either team made preseason all-league teams.

http://www.wabi.tv/content/sports/Maine ... 53683.html
WABI

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics