Basketball - Women: 2017-18:

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Basketball - Women: 2017-18:

Postby ExpoEddie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:02 am

Nice information to understand how the upcoming season may play out. My original comment was not to look for negative comments about players leaving. Coach Barron went overseas to fill his roster and recruited players that would fit his profile. Very deliberate offense, kinda like Carroll at Princeton. Lots of ball movement via pass, limited off the dribble. I was curious if Amy would revert to her dad's up and down, fast break mentality that he introduced very early to girls high school hoops and the style she played.

My sense is with Anderson coming back to assist, and with her gun slinger approach to offense, changes are forthcoming.
ExpoEddie

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:18 pm

ExpoEddie wrote:Nice information to understand how the upcoming season may play out. My original comment was not to look for negative comments about players leaving. Coach Barron went overseas to fill his roster and recruited players that would fit his profile. Very deliberate offense, kinda like Carroll at Princeton. Lots of ball movement via pass, limited off the dribble. I was curious if Amy would revert to her dad's up and down, fast break mentality that he introduced very early to girls high school hoops and the style she played.

My sense is with Anderson coming back to assist, and with her gun slinger approach to offense, changes are forthcoming.

ExpoEddie: Another good post from ou ExpoEddie.

I hope you are wrong about running and gunning. I hope that they use their size inside to get power layups and open 3's and open layups when the double team comes to the post player with or without the ball.

I prefer that the offensive system determines who shoots, when they shoot and where they shoot from and not the players. When players make these shooting decisions often they make poor basketball decisions and end up with poor shot selection or turnovers.

Maine's only dribble penetration to get open three's successfully last year was off Sigi's dribble penetration and kick outs.

Again just my ideas. Key to getting the ball inside easily and quickly is the type of offensive setup that makes it very hard to double down on the post player with or without the ball.

Player spacing have got to be so that the defense pays a big price of an open 3 or an open layup when they double down on the post player without or with the ball.

I wrote about a quick hitting offense that can do just that in my Bangor Daily News Blog, "Off the Rim", several weeks ago on July 7.
bcbc55

Postby turkeyman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:06 pm

It's really early to be predicting great things for this team. But it doesn't look nearly as bleak as it might have in April.

Cim, I'm not sure the transfers really improved their lots. Still have no idea what really happened. In the case of the Croatians, I'm not sure it was weather. Average July temp in Zagreb is 70 (low 60, high 80), average in January is 32 (22 night, 42 day). As averages those aren't greatly different from Orono. 'Course I don't know if the wind comes down the way it does on the Stillwater River. In the case of the Spaniards, it is possible that weather was a factor. Last winter was long but not particularly cold. It is also possible that one of the Spaniards came here already looking to copy her sister. Judith Sole came to play at Robert Morris, transferred to Duquesne. Laia Sole came to play at Maine, transferred to Duquesne. Go figure.

Caceres, who was touted as an all-star point, must have been disappointed with her minutes, but she may have shown less improvement in her playing time than any of the other freshmen. Remember when Coach Vachon said after a game that Maddy McVicar got a lot of minutes that game because she works so hard in practice. The other player who might have got those minutes was Caceres. That Vachon went with McVicar may tell us something.

Look at the individual choices by the five who left. Texas Tech is in a P5 conference, but it hasn’t had great teams since Marsha Sharp, who beat Maine in 2004 at Missoula, got done. That’s where Stoljavlevic (forgot how to spell it) is going. While Tihana didn't get much PT, she just needs time to develop. Will she get that time when battling Baylor, OU and K-State? But if she gets onto the court at Lubbock, those could be good minutes. Can't get Mac Davis's song out of my head: "Happiness is Lubbock, Texas, in the rearview mirror." I had a buddy in graduate school at Vandy who felt that way after four years at Texas Tech. And he was a Texan, not a Croatian. You think Orono and Bangor are isolated?

Duquense, where Laia is going, is in a conferences a notch or two above America East and made the WNIT last year. Duquesne went 18-16, same as Maine, got to WNIT and got smoked by Drexel in the first round. Irony is that Maine's Tanesha Sutton played with Judith Sole as a freshman at Duquesne, then came here.

Two are going to Big East schools. Butler, where Caceres is going, went 6-25 and was 2-16 in the Big East, so it's not clear that she helped herself much. The only common opponent last year was East Tennessee, which Maine beat and which beat Butler. Very young roster, with no seniors in '16-'17, so Caceres will have to play her way into a pretty set lineup when she becomes eligible in the fall of '18.

Kelava is going to Georgetown, also in the Big East, and the Hoyas went 17-13 last year and made the WNIT but lost to Fordham first round. The Hoyas lost five seniors this year, so by fall of '18, Anita may be just what they need. Based on her performance until the last handful of games -- remember, she only played 7 minutes in regular season finale vs. Bingo and only 16 in tourney final against Albany -- she may have moved into the best situation among the five who left.

Pepe made the only move that would improve her PT by going to Div. II.

Incoming kids look very good. Kat looks on tape to have great potential and has developed court sense in high school that some never develop even in college. Don't know how aggressive she'll be underneath, but she has a size and strength advantage over almost all her potential opponents that Kelava did not have. If she is happy with her choice academically, she could settle in just fine. I understand she is a pre-med major, and Maine has had a pretty good pair of those in the past few years, Liz and Sigi, so the pattern is there for her to follow.

Barra looks really good on tape, too, and that 6-5 (Kat) and 6-2 (Kia) along with Fanny and Kirsten coming back could be the formidable front court Maine needs to complement its plethora of good guards (Julie, Tanesha, Maddy, Blanca; don't really know yet about Sierra and Kelly and the return of Parisse). Maeve from Virginia looks very mobile on tape. In high school she played the four, so she may have to learn a new position. Then again, Liz played a lot of four at Maine and handled it pretty well, even at 5-10. Haven't seen any tape of Ashlyn McDonald, but she comes from a really good high-school gbb state (Tennessee) and went to juco in another one (Kansas), so she may add a lot. I've read on this board that she may be a project, but that can also mean she doesn't have to unlearn a lot of bad habits, only to learn the good ones. I've seen tape of Kelly shooting. Great release, hard to distract, pretty good foot speed, moves pretty well laterally so she may be able to work her way open a lot. With Julie, Maine may have a dynamite outside shooting game.

It's only three months to opening tip. Could be a good season, but there is a lot to be done to remold the team after Sigi and Sher graduated and the team that was being molded for the future crumbled.

Bob Neal
New Shaorn
turkeyman

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:50 pm

turkeyman wrote:It's really early to be predicting great things for this team. But it doesn't look nearly as bleak as it might have in April.

Cim, I'm not sure the transfers really improved their lots. Still have no idea what really happened. In the case of the Croatians, I'm not sure it was weather. Average July temp in Zagreb is 70 (low 60, high 80), average in January is 32 (22 night, 42 day). As averages those aren't greatly different from Orono. 'Course I don't know if the wind comes down the way it does on the Stillwater River. In the case of the Spaniards, it is possible that weather was a factor. Last winter was long but not particularly cold. It is also possible that one of the Spaniards came here already looking to copy her sister. Judith Sole came to play at Robert Morris, transferred to Duquesne. Laia Sole came to play at Maine, transferred to Duquesne. Go figure.

Caceres, who was touted as an all-star point, must have been disappointed with her minutes, but she may have shown less improvement in her playing time than any of the other freshmen. Remember when Coach Vachon said after a game that Maddy McVicar got a lot of minutes that game because she works so hard in practice. The other player who might have got those minutes was Caceres. That Vachon went with McVicar may tell us something.

Look at the individual choices by the five who left. Texas Tech is in a P5 conference, but it hasn’t had great teams since Marsha Sharp, who beat Maine in 2004 at Missoula, got done. That’s where Stoljavlevic (forgot how to spell it) is going. While Tihana didn't get much PT, she just needs time to develop. Will she get that time when battling Baylor, OU and K-State? But if she gets onto the court at Lubbock, those could be good minutes. Can't get Mac Davis's song out of my head: "Happiness is Lubbock, Texas, in the rearview mirror." I had a buddy in graduate school at Vandy who felt that way after four years at Texas Tech. And he was a Texan, not a Croatian. You think Orono and Bangor are isolated?

Duquense, where Laia is going, is in a conferences a notch or two above America East and made the WNIT last year. Duquesne went 18-16, same as Maine, got to WNIT and got smoked by Drexel in the first round. Irony is that Maine's Tanesha Sutton played with Judith Sole as a freshman at Duquesne, then came here.

Two are going to Big East schools. Butler, where Caceres is going, went 6-25 and was 2-16 in the Big East, so it's not clear that she helped herself much. The only common opponent last year was East Tennessee, which Maine beat and which beat Butler. Very young roster, with no seniors in '16-'17, so Caceres will have to play her way into a pretty set lineup when she becomes eligible in the fall of '18.

Kelava is going to Georgetown, also in the Big East, and the Hoyas went 17-13 last year and made the WNIT but lost to Fordham first round. The Hoyas lost five seniors this year, so by fall of '18, Anita may be just what they need. Based on her performance until the last handful of games -- remember, she only played 7 minutes in regular season finale vs. Bingo and only 16 in tourney final against Albany -- she may have moved into the best situation among the five who left.

Pepe made the only move that would improve her PT by going to Div. II.

Incoming kids look very good. Kat looks on tape to have great potential and has developed court sense in high school that some never develop even in college. Don't know how aggressive she'll be underneath, but she has a size and strength advantage over almost all her potential opponents that Kelava did not have. If she is happy with her choice academically, she could settle in just fine. I understand she is a pre-med major, and Maine has had a pretty good pair of those in the past few years, Liz and Sigi, so the pattern is there for her to follow.

Barra looks really good on tape, too, and that 6-5 (Kat) and 6-2 (Kia) along with Fanny and Kirsten coming back could be the formidable front court Maine needs to complement its plethora of good guards (Julie, Tanesha, Maddy, Blanca; don't really know yet about Sierra and Kelly and the return of Parisse). Maeve from Virginia looks very mobile on tape. In high school she played the four, so she may have to learn a new position. Then again, Liz played a lot of four at Maine and handled it pretty well, even at 5-10. Haven't seen any tape of Ashlyn McDonald, but she comes from a really good high-school gbb state (Tennessee) and went to juco in another one (Kansas), so she may add a lot. I've read on this board that she may be a project, but that can also mean she doesn't have to unlearn a lot of bad habits, only to learn the good ones. I've seen tape of Kelly shooting. Great release, hard to distract, pretty good foot speed, moves pretty well laterally so she may be able to work her way open a lot. With Julie, Maine may have a dynamite outside shooting game.

It's only three months to opening tip. Could be a good season, but there is a lot to be done to remold the team after Sigi and Sher graduated and the team that was being molded for the future crumbled.

Bob Neal
New Shaorn

Bob: If the players coming in are as good as your post above then the Maine women will be double O.K. I still think that the incoming players are better then what transferred out. Especially the bigs in Williams and Barra.

To me the key is getting the ball inside enough times per game so that when the double team comes on the bigs Williams, Barra, Johnson and Wadling that it will open up the 3 point game for Brosseau, Millan, Fogarty, etc.

I agree that Williams is more than a legitimate big for America East Conference especially at 6'5". She will be a tough matchup for the conference opponents.

Second key will be finding a point guard that can handle full court man pressure and be able to get the ball to the front court to start the offense.

The player returning with the best post up power layup skills is really Sutton at 5'10".

Also, like Carrol, she reminds me of Liz Wood type of player.

With the Maine men also having a excellent freshmen big in Mick Antoms from Lee Prep it will be interesting to see which team goes inside more the men or the women.

I hope it is both, for the same reasons I have previously mentioned.

Again, I really enjoyed your post. Very informative and very real to UMaine's women basketball incoming and out going players.

Your post on a scale of 1 to 10 with ten being the highest rating is a nine...................................teen.

CIM
bcbc55

Postby Media » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:14 am

Maine Women's Hoops‏ @BlackBearsWBB
Mark your calendars!

Here's a look at our full 2017-18 schedule! #BlackBearNation @AmericaEast

Details: http://bit.ly/2wBlLOH
Media

Postby WABI » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:45 am

America East Basketball Schedules Announced

ORONO, MAINE (WABI) - America East conference basketball schedules are out today for both the men's and women's ranks.

Black Bears women team opens conference play at home against UMass Lowell on January, 3rd. Big home games on February, 8th, against New Hampshire and February, 25th, when they host Albany in their conference and regular season finale.

http://www.wabi.tv/content/sports/Ameri ... 63163.html
WABI

Postby WFVX » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:57 am

Maine men's and women's basketball release full schedules
http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/21 ... -schedules
WFVX

Postby turkeyman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:36 pm

Players are all supposed to be on campus now. Checking out the roster, I notice that Ashlyn MacDonald, 6-3 from Tullahoma, Tenn. is not listed on the roster. She was announced in April as a recruit from Highland Community College in Kansas. No idea what happened to her. Didn't know much about her. Some suggested she might be a project. She sort of got lost in the hubbub over the later signers (Barra, Saar, Williams),

Moving to the prairie of Kansas -- coldest I've ever been was changing a flat tire in January 1968 in Harper, Kansas -- for a winter of improving your game may signal a real desire to become a better player. One more big would not have hurt this team at all. Can't find any mention of her online, but didn't have much time to look.

Anyone know what happened to her?

Bob Neal
New Sharon
Last edited by turkeyman on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
turkeyman

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:23 pm

turkeyman wrote:Players are all supposed to be on campus now. Checking out the roster, I notice that Ashlyn MacDonald, 6-3 from Tullahoma, Tenn. is not listed on the roster. She was announced in April as a recruit from Highland Community College in Kansas. No idea what happened to her. Didn't know much about here. Some suggested she might be a project. She sort of got lost in the hubbub over the later signers (Barra, Saar, Williams),

Moving to the prairie of Kansas -- coldest I've ever been was changing a flat tire in January 1968 in Harper, Kansas -- for a winter of improving your game may signal a real desire to become a better player. One more big would not have hurt this team at all. Can't find any mention of her online, but didn't have much time to look.

Anyone know what happened to her?

Bob Neal
New Sharon

Bob: Good post. I noticed that also when I was checking the roster last week. I have no idea where she is. Like you said another big would not hurt.

I still think what is coming in for BIGS is better than those who transferred out minus 6'3" MacDonald if she is not on the roster. 6'5" Williams and 6'3" Barra are more skilled post players than 6'2" Sole, 6'2" Keleva And the other BIGS that transferred out. Plus, they incomers will have another year as they freshmen I believe.

Can't forget Maine has got to replace Sigi at point and that will not be easy.
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:05 pm

Anxious to see Sutton, Milan & Wadling play....should have big seasons!
mainejeff

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics