WBB coaching

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

WBB coaching

Postby turkeyman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:53 am

Coach Vachon is to be congratulated on her interim appointment as well as on the job she did on the bench this year past in a difficult situation. The program has some solidity now for the next year.

Question: Do the two assistants and the DOBO stay? Coach Edneisha Curry and Coach Sam Baranowski and DOBO Jhasmin Player. Will the structure that was in place the second half of the season remain, with those three as assistant coaches? Does Maine hire a one-year DOBO, or did it use that money to help pay Vachon as interim head coach? It would be hard on the program if any left, but one must always look at opportunity. Coach Vachon and Coach Player combine deep loyalty to Maine and strong experience at the very top echelon (Baylor) of wbb. Player's tweets suggest they are good friends. Who would be "bad coach" in the traditional "good coach-bad coach" structure?

Vachon's statements sound like the remaining seven players are solid. Hope so. Is it possible that any of the remaining seven were just waiting for a final decision on 2017-18 before making a move? Or, is it possible that any of the five who plan to leave might reconsider? According to the PPH, Vachon recruited Kelava and Stojsavljevic while Barron recruited Sole and Caceras.

We knew, also from PPH, that Vachon was planning a recruiting trip to Finland and England after the AE tournament. We don't know whether any the kids she was contacting were recruits for this year. I haven't researched it carefully, but it seems from reports on ESPN that a larger than usual number of top high-school senior prospects have not committed. Most years, only a handful of downlist kids remain, and they may have been holding out for a favored team to offer in case it got turned down by others it had offered. And, we have no idea what amount of talent is available from junior colleges. Bella Swan came from juco in Utah, and Barron was at the school last fall to speak at a seminar. No doubt, he was looking at players, too, so that may be a pipeline.

April 12, when late signing period begins, will tell us a great deal about how next year's team will look.

Now that the immediate uncertainty is past, feeling a lot better about everything, other than Coach Barron's health, than for the past couple of months.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Re: WBB coaching

Postby duke11 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:48 am

TM,
The talk right now is Curry is gone and Sam B will be
Resuming her playing career over seas.
That leaves Vachon to hire 2 Asst(Player stays) and 1 Dobo.
duke11

Postby parquetfloor » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:04 am

duke11 wrote:TM,
The talk right now is Curry is gone and Sam B will be
Resuming her playing career over seas.
That leaves Vachon to hire 2 Asst(Player stays) and 1 Dobo.

Man, I had not heard that. If that is true, this could be a tough year. The good news is that she will most likely have Barron around to lean on while she not only gets new coaches up to speed, but then another very young team.
parquetfloor

2017-2018 WBB

Postby mainejeff » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:41 am

From a roster standpoint it seems like UM will have:

7 returning players
1 signed player
2 verbal commits(?)

I can't figure out who the verbals are although we can assume that they are most likely from Europe.

That leaves 5 open scholarships (?). The one silver lining is that the classes will end up being more balanced.

Regarding Curry....is this a big loss? I'm just asking. She seems very low key but always "looked" the part on the sidelines. I'm sure that she will be happy to leave the hinterlands for a sexier job. Good luck to her!
mainejeff

Postby TAL1957 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:45 am

turkeyman wrote:Coach Vachon is to be congratulated on her interim appointment as well as on the job she did on the bench this year past in a difficult situation. The program has some solidity now for the next year.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
Yep. .... Lookin forward to next September.
TAL1957

Postby duke11 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:48 am

MJ,
Curry is caught in between wanting to be a coach and a skills trainer. She was the only member of the staff
to attend the final 4 for networking and she actually presented at a clinic while out there.

Would not be surprised if they bring in a junior college player and/or a grad transfer. It will add immediate experience
and will help with solid returning core.
duke11

Re: 2017-2018 WBB

Postby zonid » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:00 am

mainejeff wrote:That leaves 5 open scholarships (?). The one silver lining is that the classes will end up being more balanced.

Regarding Curry....is this a big loss? I'm just asking. She seems very low key but always "looked" the part on the sidelines. I'm sure that she will be happy to leave the hinterlands for a sexier job. Good luck to her!

Agreed on the benefit to balancing out the classes. It's a short term loss this year as Maine probably goes from being team 1b in the conference to somewhere around the Albany / Binghamton tier. Balanced classes are the key to long term stability to avoid fluctuations like we struggled with this year.

I think Curry would be a pretty big loss. She brought a level of legitimacy as an assistant coach that not a lot of mid-majors have. At the time of her hiring I figured she wouldn't be long for the job given her resume. She has a bright future so best of luck to her if she moves on.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a recent graduate of the program return in the DOBO role. I think its crucial for the program to find a really qualified assistant ala Steelman but I'm not sure if that's a reasonable expectation? Regardless, Amy and Jhasmin both have some pretty good connections that will help out with the staffing search.

Edit: I'm aware that Curry attended and presented at the Final Four but I'm a bit shocked Amy wasn't there. Perhaps there was simply too much going on back in Maine with the transition but that would have been a great opportunity.
zonid

Postby turkeyman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:50 pm

Agree with MJ and zonid that it is better to have classes spread out. The pattern of recruiting in bunches, like grapes, started in 2012 when Barron saw that Cindy hadn't left him many Div-I players. So, he brought in a whole new team, and the only place to find that in spring and summer was Europe, given that the primary day for NLI signing had been the previous November. When launched on that course, he was sort of stuck with it. In that sense, the departures this year unintentionally help the program by spreading the classes back to a standard 4-4-4-3 recruiting pattern.

Also agree with zonid on the value of Coach Curry. Hers would be a big loss. One person close to the program told me she was the one to keep things on course, to keep practices on schedule, to hold kids' feet to the fire on their bad days, etc. She, then, was the "bad cop," but the kids still respected her. She has a strong future in coaching, and I hope some of it is at Maine.

Barron said publicly that he hired Baranowski as a coach when she became available. Then when Player became available, he had only the DOBO job open. She has certainly dived into it, as she has dived into being an acting assistant coach the second half of this season. Player had previous coaching experience with Maine and has a Baylor tie to Barron, so she is a natural as a coach. And she seems to delight in seeing deer on the quadrangle early in the morning! Hope you're right that she stays.

Not sure Maine sinks a lot next year. The departures -- odd, but my fingers always type "defectors," and I have to go back and retype -- hurt, no question. But Fanny is solid as a starter, and if she comes back in top physical condition and continues to develop post moves, especially boxing out, she will be formidable. We'll never know how good Sole, Caceras and Kelava might have been. They may never know either as it depends on where they land.

Can't wait to see whom else Coach Vachon can bring in.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics