Bernstein Leaving UMaine

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Bernstein Leaving UMaine

Postby fromthebench » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:42 am

Just looking at this logically. Didn't Garvey Melmud get a scholarship?
Nothing personal but that would rub me the wrong way if I was Bernstein.
It's a low blow to kid that gave his all. IMO
fromthebench

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:32 pm

From the bench, that is a good point. Melmed was given a scholarship after 2 years of hard work in practice and off season conditioning. He doesn't play with the exception of garbage time. In the same breath, Bernstein scraps just as hard, earns immediate playing time as a true freshman back up point guard. This year Bernstein earns a starting role, beats out McKennon (who is on scholarship) for the lion share of minutes at the point and is one of the AE leaders in assist to TO ratio. Who deserves the scholarship?? Rookie D1 Coaching mistake by Walsh giving Melmed a scholarship.

That being said, Bernstein is a D3 player (talent-wise). He works his butt off and has turned himself into a legit D2 scholarship player. On a good low major D1 team he is at best a back up point guard, playing 10-15 minutes per game. At Maine, one of the worst teams in D1, he was forced to play big minutes. I can see why he's leaving, don't blame him at all. Good bet that an NE-10 school will give him a scholarship.
Coach Walsh now banking on filling the open scholarships with legit D1 players. Maine's roster is in bad shape. Last year was a killer, with several players given late scholarships who are not D1 difference makers. Tough racket as a low major trying to bring in legit talent and hang on to it. The last 6 or 7 years, the transfer bug has ransacked low majors.
Blind Zebra

Postby TAL1957 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:43 pm

fromthebench wrote:Just looking at this logically.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Gotta go somewhere else with that !
fromthebench wrote: Nothing personal but that would rub me the wrong way ...
Which nut ? Left or Right ? Grow Up and Scratch It. Man ......

Is Basketball season OVER yet ??? PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Last edited by TAL1957 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TAL1957

Postby TheOneArmMan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:20 am

Does this move (not giving Bernstein a scholarship) not go against everything that Walsh apparently stands for in his numerous blog posts since he arrived here? I am already tone def when it comes to a lot of the stuff Walsh preaches (or anyone that preaches this type of stuff), but this just leads folks to invalidate everything he claims to be.

Many of his posts (correct me if I am wrong) are in regards to earning what you get, working hard, team play, etc.... Was this not what Bernstein was? Did he not come in and attempt to save the day for Walsh by working his tail off and providing starter minutes to a depleted team?

If this were any random coach that this was happening with, no big deal. Need a roster of DI talent, can't give everyone a scholly. But for a coach that preaches and has such an online presence about rewarding the EXACT type of player Bernstein is and was for him, this is puzzling. If I were a player, I would be totally checked out on him....
TheOneArmMan

Postby mainejeff » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:32 am

TheOneArmMan wrote: If I were a player, I would be totally checked out on him....

Many have. :|
mainejeff

Postby TAL1957 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:40 am

TheOneArmMan wrote:Does this ....
Nope, it does not. :roll: :o
TAL1957

Postby TheOneArmMan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:26 pm

TAL1957 wrote:

Fair enough, but why not? I think I laid out my reasoning, how about you add something to yours....
TheOneArmMan

Postby TAL1957 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:53 pm

TheOneArmMan wrote:
TAL1957 wrote:

Fair enough, but why not? I think I laid out my reasoning, how about you add something to yours....

Oh, you did nail it . AOK ! But I don't want to keep it going. College Season is OVER.
TAL1957

Postby fromthebench » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:57 pm

I don't know. Call me simple-minded but it seems like a no-brainer to offer your starting point guard a scholarship. Especially since there isn't another player on the roster with the basketball IQ to run a team.
fromthebench

Previous

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics