OT Traversi success in wbb

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

OT Traversi success in wbb

Postby turkeyman » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:06 pm

If you followed wbb under Sharon Versyp (2000-'05), you'll remember Missy Traversi. Finished with 1,130 points and is about 16th all-time scorer. Made AE first team in 2005. She and Kim Corbitt were a dynamite backcourt duo. In '01-'02, Missy played mostly point while Versyp tutored Kim on the bench in running the point. By '02-'03, Kim was at the point and Missy was the two and became a scorer. What a pair they were on the court.

After Maine, she played and coached in Sweden, tried out for the Chicago Sky, coached about four years in high school and at Harvard as an assistant. Three years ago, she became head coach at D-III Wheelock and turned its program around. Her second season, Wheelock won 18, its best ever.

This year, her first as head coach at Adelphi, she took an 18-12 team to 27-5 and second round of the Div-II NCAAs, losing by one on a buzzer beater.

For about 10 years, Missy ran MTElite, a basketball program in Mass., and hired, among others, her teammate Heather Ernest as a coach. Missy has come back several times for alumnae day events.

If I remember correctly, Missy was offered a Div-II scholarship at Bentley but asked Versyp to look at her tape and give her a tryout. Versyp agreed that Missy had a shot at making it in Div-I

She was a great kid and benefitted from strong family support. Her family drove up from North Attleboro for almost every home game. They found that UMaine won when they ate at the Wendy's on Stillwater Ave. in Orono, so Wendy's became their game night stop. At games, her "Uncle Paulie" was the one who could be heard yelling, "Go, you Beyahs." He painted himself blue and stood in the end zone seats at the AE tournament in 2004, which Maine won, until officials asked him to sit down and maybe be not so enthusiastic about his niece and her teammates.

Watching these young women pursue careers after basketball is one of the most rewarding parts of following these teams. Missy was a favorite. Tickled to death to see her doing so well since UMaine.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Re: OT Traversi success in wbb

Postby parquetfloor » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:04 am

That whole class is doing extremely well for themselves: Corbitt, Nicole Jay and Monica Peterson.
parquetfloor

Postby turkeyman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:46 am

Parquet, you're right. I don't know anything about Nicole Jay since she graduated in 2005, but Kim and Monica were here for the Tip-Off Tournament in November when Versyp brought Purdue to play UMaine.

Kim recently became head of human resources for the Hillman Group in Cincinnati, after years in human resources at Procter & Gamble. She followed Versyp, a year later, to Purdue and earned an MBA there. She coaches and founded Girls and Grit, a basketball development program in Cincinnati that emphasizes academics and basketball skills for girls in third through ninth grade. Kim has been Greater Cincinnati COY.

Monica moved recently to the University of Sciences in Philadelphia from St. Ambrose Univ. in Iowa. She earned a PhD at Pitt and teaches exercise science.

Basketball provided one avenue for them to pursue excellence. They took that avenue and are doing very well.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby AMO12 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:46 am

We (CMCC) played Wheelock in an exhibition game a couple of years ago (http://bit.ly/2oR2aTn) while Missy was coaching there. She is fierce, demanding, but extremely respectful as a coach - I am assuming she was the same as a player. I was not surprised to see her make the jump up to Adelphi so quickly. She hits the recruiting trail, hard, and was at one of our practices earlier this year evaluating one of our sophomore forwards. Drove all the way up from NY to watch us practice - pretty cool.

Andrew Morong
CMCC Women's Basketball
AMO12

Postby waltwhite » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:13 pm

AMO12 wrote:We (CMCC) played Wheelock in an exhibition game a couple of years ago (http://bit.ly/2oR2aTn) while Missy was coaching there. She is fierce, demanding, but extremely respectful as a coach - I am assuming she was the same as a player. I was not surprised to see her make the jump up to Adelphi so quickly. She hits the recruiting trail, hard, and was at one of our practices earlier this year evaluating one of our sophomore forwards. Drove all the way up from NY to watch us practice - pretty cool.

Andrew Morong
CMCC Women's Basketball

Congrats on your Natty
waltwhite

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics