UConn Loses, UConn Loses

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: UConn Loses, UConn Loses

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:00 pm

Regardless of what you fellows think, I know one thing for sure as unorthodox as my basketball thinking is/was or will be I would never run up the scores like have been done by any team in the NCAA's women's game.

I believe in "basketball karma" and have seen it work many times in basketball over my 73 years involved with the game and I never had my teams waste points just to run up a score.

But I believe even more in 'THE GOLDEN RULE OF DOING UNTO OTHERS WHAT I WOULD WANT THEM TO DO TO ME"

So regardless of what you think of me or my thoughts about running up the score it is in my opinion the worst thing a coach can do to his or her opponent, their coach and their players and for his own players.

It is the worst thing because it effects so many people.

Shot clock or no shot clock I could do the subtle things to keep the 60 point blowout win to a 30 point win.

So stop wasting your time trying prove me wrong, nothing you can say or do will have me change my mind about this situation. PERIOD.

You have your basketball values and I have mine, so let' just leave it at that. You can run up the score and offer excuses for it happening and I made sure my teams never ran up the score needlessly or intentionally because I respect the game, my opponents, my teams and myself to much to do that.
bcbc55

Postby parquetfloor » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:09 pm

bcbc55 wrote:You have your basketball values and I have mine, so let' just leave it at that. You can run up the score and offer excuses for it happening and I made sure my teams never ran up the score needlessly or intentionally because I respect the game, my opponents, my teams and myself to much to do that.

Wow. Spare me the martyrdom. It's not about values. Short of not shooting anymore and not playing defense, there was not a whole lot UConn could have done in that game last year.

Seriously, your ego barely fits on this page anymore.
parquetfloor

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:39 pm

parquetfloor wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:You have your basketball values and I have mine, so let' just leave it at that. You can run up the score and offer excuses for it happening and I made sure my teams never ran up the score needlessly or intentionally because I respect the game, my opponents, my teams and myself to much to do that.

Wow. Spare me the martyrdom. It's not about values. Short of not shooting anymore and not playing defense, there was not a whole lot UConn could have done in that game last year.

PF: SUBTLE THINGS TO KEEP THE SCORE DOWN
1. SLOWING THE OFFENSIVE TEMPO DOWN
2. WORK THE SHOT CLOCK DOWN TO 8 SECONDS BEFORE SHOOTING
3. DON'T FOUL
4. RUN A CONTINUITY OFFENSE AND TAKE LAYUPS ONLY
5. GET THE BALL INSIDE
6. DON'T TAKE THE BALL TO THE HOOP OFF THE DRIBBLE
7. USE 4 OR 5 PASSES BEFORE SHOOTING A SHOT
8, PLAY A 2-3 ZONE
9. GET SUBS IN MUCH EARLIER
10. DON'T CALL ANY TIMEOUTS UNLESS TO EMPHASIS 1 THROUGH 9

VALUES HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH EGO's.
bcbc55

Postby thebam » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:47 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
parquetfloor wrote:

PF: SUBTLE THINGS TO KEEP THE SCORE DOWN Not fair to subs
1. SLOWING THE OFFENSIVE TEMPO DOWN
2. WORK THE SHOT CLOCK DOWN TO 8 SECONDS BEFORE SHOOTING not fair to subs
3. DON'T FOUL
4. RUN A CONTINUITY OFFENSE AND TAKE LAYUPS ONLY not fair to subs
5. GET THE BALL INSIDE
6. DON'T TAKE THE BALL TO THE HOOP OFF THE DRIBBLE not fair to subs
7. USE 4 OR 5 PASSES BEFORE SHOOTING A SHOT Same as #2 and not fair to subs
8, PLAY A 2-3 ZONE not fair to subs if this isn't your primary defense
9. GET SUBS IN MUCH EARLIER sometimes this results in a rout anyway
10. DON'T CALL ANY TIMEOUTS UNLESS TO EMPHASIS 1 THROUGH 9

VALUES HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH EGO's.
thebam

Postby TAL1957 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:52 pm

Wow. And I thought we'd all already suffered enuf through as bad as the old outdated coot could get.

But now he thinks he knows more about coaching a top-tier D1 WBB team than Geno Smith evah could !???

LMDAO on that one. Just when ya thought he couldn't look any more the bitter old fool than he already has become and shown, repeatedly, and he spouts out all this latest egomaniacal drivel (dribble ?) and proves us all wrong and Nails It once again. Keep digging "sir", it's the only way outta that hole. Gotta hit China sooner or later (and then you can tell them all that's wrong with their basketball programs). :o :lol:

Gonna be Real, Real, Real Nice when the college basketball season is done, Done, DONE.
... Oh Wait, .... ??? :roll:
TAL1957

Postby turkeyman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:07 pm

We see the word "unorthodox" a lot on these threads. But what then follows is pretty much the orthodoxy that we were taught in the 1950s.

The orthodoxy of the '50s still has some valid points. Zone defenses usually lower the score. Holding onto the ball usually lowers the score. But, times have changed, too. Jump shooting can go over the zone. Shot clocks limit stalls to about 25 seconds, tops.

Our coach told us a five-point lead with five minutes to go, or any lead of a point for each minute left in the fourth quarter, was pretty much a lock. And it was. Try telling that to kids today. He told us his goal was that we score 0.8 points per possession. Not many coaches would settle today for that.

What used to be SOP, that is, orthodox, is now "unorthodox." A bunch of this new stuff, such as jump shots and shot clocks, is now orthodox.

Maybe it is all cyclical. What you lose in the swings you gain in the roundabouts. Or, what goes around comes around, eh?

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:48 pm

TAL1957 wrote:Wow. And I thought we'd all already suffered enuf through as bad as the old outdated coot could get.

But now he thinks he knows more about coaching a top-tier D1 WBB team than Geno Smith evah could !???

LMDAO on that one. Just when ya thought he couldn't look any more the bitter old fool than he already has become and shown, repeatedly, and he spouts out all this latest egomaniacal drivel (dribble ?) and proves us all wrong and Nails It once again. Keep digging "sir", it's the only way outta that hole. Gotta hit China sooner or later (and then you can tell them all that's wrong with their basketball programs). :o :lol:

Gonna be Real, Real, Real Nice when the college basketball season is done, Done, DONE.
... Oh Wait, .... ??? :roll:

TAL: That is not coaching what Geno did in the MS game. It was his great recruits being supervised for their substitutions. What coaching was what the MS coach did in hi s big upset win which was helped by the supervisor of substitutions lack of making adjustments to speed the game up...like maybe pressing full court and trapping the small MS point guard.
bcbc55

Postby parquetfloor » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Oh my effing god! Now Geno Auriemma, with 11 National Championships, has been relegated to a "substitution supervisor"...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really are a piece of work.
parquetfloor

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:22 pm

parquetfloor wrote:Oh my effing god! Now Geno Auriemma, with 11 National Championships, has been relegated to a "substitution supervisor"...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really are a piece of work.
\\

PF; IN AGREE, JUST A PIECE OF WORK.... THAT TELLS IT LIKE IT SEES IT.
bcbc55

Previous

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics