don shields.

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: don shields.

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:55 pm

maine612 wrote:you can buy the book here....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Basketballs-per ... 2250550959

It is where I got my copy.

maine612: That is right it was you, I should have remembered it was you. There you go WW, 612 to the rescue.

Thanks for the help 612.
bcbc55

Postby coachr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:50 pm

Cim, did YOU win the championship in 1993, or did your TEAM? If it was you, just curious how many points, rebounds, assists, and steals you had. (tongue-in-cheek)

Coach R
coachr

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:46 pm

[quote="coachr"]Cim, did YOU win the championship in 1993, or did your TEAM? If it was you, just curious how many points, rebounds, assists, and steals you had. (tongue-in-cheek)

coachr: It was the system. The players bought in and it was a team that went 22-0 and was the biggest high school team ever to play in high school in the history of Maine high school basketball.

They were 6'11" center, 6'8", 6'8" forwards, 6'4" point guard and 6'2" off guard and the one sub used was 6'3".

They were bigger than any college team in the sate or any semi-pro team. My biggest problem all season was the sore neck I got from having to look up at them all season long especially during timeouts when we had to stand during time outs I should have gotten a box to stand on so I could be at least eyeball to eyeball to them..

I didn't make any shots but the systems sure got them a lot of power layups against any type of defense. We didn't shoot many threes we just pounded the ball right down to the power alley all day long.

CIM
bcbc55

Postby mainah57 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:35 pm

To go back to the actual topic...

(If I had a dime for every thread that turned into a discussion of POWER LAYUPS... :lol: )

I thoroughly enjoy Don! However, I'm a little concerned that with nearly all AE games being on ESPN3 last year (which will presumably continue into next year too...), how many people are still listening to Don on the radio for the games? Is there a point at which the radio audience becomes just too low to sustain?

My only real critique of Don is that I'm kind of over his frequent talking about the "power of 60" (e.g. Maine's record when it holds opponents to under 60, and it's record when it scores more than 60). Ever since we lost the 2016 championship game by a score of 59-58, I've kinda been over the "power of 60." :lol:

Having said all this, nothing but respect for Mr. Shields here! Class act, terrific guy, and great at what he does. I hope he's a part of this program for many years to come.
mainah57

Postby Linguist » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:21 am

I like Don, his knowledge of the team and game are great, he clearly has done his homework in his game prep.

My critique would be (as others mentioned) he gets too excited on a layup in the second minute of the game to give Maine a 4-2 lead, their first lead of the game, and largest of the night. My other issue is he works alone so he has to fill a lot of the time between calls so he tends to rely on numbers and stats too much (in my opinion), A 3 by Zigi, her 48th of the season, 19 in conference play, the 192nd of her career, 100th career three in America East play, and her 97th career 3 here at the Cross Insurance Center, the 3rd one today, the first in the second half, and the 89th of the season by Maine. (all at a high volume level and without taking a breath - which is a masterful art in and of itself) But it gets to be overkill however it shows his preparation is beyond what anyone else does.
Linguist

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:37 pm

Don Shields Fans:

Next season I am going to try to turn the sound on ESPN3 and turn on Don on the radio and see if they stay in synk.

Got that idea from when I was doing radio for WABI from1994-2004 doing the color commentary for the B C D tournament games at the Old Bangor Auditorium with George Hale as we didn't do television until the A tournament, many fans watching MPB television for the games told me that they they would turn off the sound and listen to us on WABI Radio.

So I am going to try that next year for the women's online games. I'll let everyone kno how that works out.

Don for the Maine Basketball Hall if Fame for the class of 2018.
bcbc55

Postby waltwhite » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:44 pm

bcbc55 wrote:Don Shields Fans:

Next season I am going to try to turn the sound on ESPN3 and turn on Don on the radio and see if they stay in synk.

Got that idea from when I was doing radio for WABI from1994-2004 doing the color commentary for the B C D tournament games at the Old Bangor Auditorium with George Hale as we didn't do television until the A tournament, many fans watching MPB television for the games told me that they they would turn off the sound and listen to us on WABI Radio.

So I am going to try that next year for the women's online games. I'll let everyone kno how that works out.

Bcbc is genius. I am going to try that too! I met Don once and he is pure class. I think he won sportsman is the year two years ago?
I also heard via sources that mike Gorman once met don and told him how much he liked him. MIKE GORMAN! Bcbc have you met mike Gorman or tommy hieinson? Tommy is so funny. I hope TAL doesn't take another shot at me.

Tread lightly.
waltwhite

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:36 pm

waltwhite wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:Don Shields Fans:

Bcbc is genius. I am going to try that too! I met Don once and he is pure class. I think he won sportsman is the year two years ago?
I also heard via sources that mike Gorman once met don and told him how much he liked him. MIKE GORMAN! Bcbc have you met mike Gorman or tommy hieinson? Tommy is so funny. I hope TAL doesn't take another shot at me.

Tread lightly.

WW: Thanks for the comment on being a genius! I am certainly no such thing. It is just that I have had many difference experiences in the game since I started playing the game in the 2nd grade 73 years ago in 1944.

I have just gained a lot of experience in being fortunate enough to have seen the game from almost, if not all of the many different areas of the game.

Yes, Don is a very first class individual.

Don't know or never met Gorham or Heinson although I am well aware of them as personalities.

Yeah, I'm afraid you will get hit by TAl1957 for your genius comment as he and my other critics here on MBR and elsewhere thinks I am Insane.....but do admit I am very unorthodox in my basketball thinking either as a player, coach, official, author, writer, etc.

But didn't Charles Barkley say in that add about his hoody bowl, that there is a very fine line between being a genius and being insane!
bcbc55

Previous

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics