don shields.

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

don shields.

Postby waltwhite » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:55 pm

What's everyone's opinion of don? I thought he had a off year last year but was off the hook this year. Totally stepped up his gane. Did he win SOY? He should have. I also think he should be in the Maine basketball hall of fame. His BINGO call is legendary. People make signs with that word at the games. I would vote for him. I know some of the board members. I might suggest it.
waltwhite

Re: don shields.

Postby aechamps » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:41 pm

Who is he??
aechamps

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:53 pm

[quote="waltwhite"]What's everyone's opinion of don? I thought he had a off year last year but was off the hook this year. Totally stepped up his gane. Did he win SOY? He should have. I also think he should be in the Maine basketball hall of fame. His BINGO call is legendary. People make signs with that word at the games. I would vote for him. I know some of the board members. I might suggest it.[/quot

WW: I would second your post. I knew Don when I was doing tournament games for WABI-TV and Radio as a color commentary person for the tournaments at the old Bangor Auditorium from 1994 to mid 2000's.

Don was using "BINGO" way back then when he was covering the great Rockland Teams of Chris Elkington's a real good coaching friend of mine from 1987-94. We coached against each other in two eastern maine class B championship games and we split. Chris won in 1992 and I won in 1993. I was at John Bapst and we also played each other during the regular season those two years also.

In fact, I think if I remember correctly I worked a tourney game with Don when he was filling in for WABI Radio. He did the play-by-play and I did the color commentary. Great fun, Don is a great play-by-by announcer, but an even greater person.

Media Maine Basketball Hall of Famer for sure. You should nominate him for the next class induction in 2018.
bcbc55

Postby TAL1957 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:29 am

aechamps wrote:Who is he??
A guy I did a bunch of stuff with related to Atlantic Salmon restoration back in the 80's and 90's ?? :o :?: Must be in his 90s by now ?
TAL1957

Postby fafan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:35 am

I find Don's announcing over the top. His excitement level is to much for me. In a blowout he will continue with his bingos regardless of the game situation. I am all for his excitement level in a close game especially toward the end but he seems to conduct his playcalling excitement level regardless of the score. Just my opinion and I find I have an option not to listen with most games being streamed now, sure he is a great guy and hope he makes it into the ME Hoop Hall of Fame.
fafan

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:38 am

fafan wrote:I find Don's announcing over the top. His excitement level is to much for me. In a blowout he will continue with his bingos regardless of the game situation. I am all for his excitement level in a close game especially toward the end but he seems to conduct his playcalling excitement level regardless of the score. Just my opinion and I find I have an option not to listen with most games being streamed now, sure he is a great guy and hope he makes it into the ME Hoop Hall of Fame.

This.
mainejeff

Postby waltwhite » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:12 am

mainejeff wrote:
fafan wrote:I find Don's announcing over the top. His excitement level is to much for me. In a blowout he will continue with his bingos regardless of the game situation. I am all for his excitement level in a close game especially toward the end but he seems to conduct his playcalling excitement level regardless of the score. Just my opinion and I find I have an option not to listen with most games being streamed now, sure he is a great guy and hope he makes it into the ME Hoop Hall of Fame.

This.

Bunch of haters!!
waltwhite

Postby waltwhite » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:14 am

bcbc55 wrote:
waltwhite wrote:What's everyone's opinion of don? I thought he had a off year last year but was off the hook this year. Totally stepped up his gane. Did he win SOY? He should have. I also think he should be in the Maine basketball hall of fame. His BINGO call is legendary. People make signs with that word at the games. I would vote for him. I know some of the board members. I might suggest it.[/quot

WW: I would second your post. I knew Don when I was doing tournament games for WABI-TV and Radio as a color commentary person for the tournaments at the old Bangor Auditorium from 1994 to mid 2000's.

Don was using "BINGO" way back then when he was covering the great Rockland Teams of Chris Elkington's a real good coaching friend of mine from 1987-94. We coached against each other in two eastern maine class B championship games and we split. Chris won in 1992 and I won in 1993. I was at John Bapst and we also played each other during the regular season those two years also.

In fact, I think if I remember correctly I worked a tourney game with Don when he was filling in for WABI Radio. He did the play-by-play and I did the color commentary. Great fun, Don is a great play-by-by announcer, but an even greater person.

Media Maine Basketball Hall of Famer for sure. You should nominate him for the next class induction in 2018.

Great post BCBC... BTW I couldnt take it and ordered your book. The one about ofence. I can't wait to read it. Is it about low tempo or up tempo? Also do you watch the NBA? Who is your favorite team? I love the KLAW!
waltwhite

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:59 pm

waltwhite wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:
waltwhite wrote:What's everyone's opinion of don? I thought he had a off year last year but was off the hook this year. Totally stepped up his gane. Did he win SOY? He should have. I also think he should be in the Maine basketball hall of fame. His BINGO call is legendary. People make signs with that word at the games. I would vote for him. I know some of the board members. I might suggest it.[/quot

Great post BCBC... BTW I couldnt take it and ordered your book. The one about ofence. I can't wait to read it. Is it about low tempo or up tempo? Also do you watch the NBA? Who is your favorite team? I love the KLAW!

WW: Thanks for the compliment for my post. Hope you nominate Don for the Maine Basketball Hall of Fame.

Sorry, but I don't have any copies of my book "Basketball's Percentage Offense" available for sale as it was written in 1972.

Somebody else ordered and got the book recently on line on Ebay, where did you order it from?

It is about playing the percentages which means it is more slow and controlled then fast and out of control.

You mean the NBA (Not Basketball Anymore)? Yes, but,usually only when my favorite team is playing, the "SAN ANTONIO SPURS" during the regular season. But when the playoffs start I watch most everything.

I still cannot get used of no TIM DUNCAN PLAYING FOR THE SPURS.

A lot different game in the playoffs especially in best 4 of 7 series. It is all about coaching adjustments in a best 4 of 7 game series, not just 1 game and move on to another opponents during the regular season. Also the team with the best bench has the advantage too.
bcbc55

Postby maine612 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:45 pm

you can buy the book here....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Basketballs-per ... 2250550959

It is where I got my copy.

maine612

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics