UMaine Basketball - Men:: 2017-18

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: UMaine Basketball - Men:: 2017-18

Postby blackbearfan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:03 pm

verbal commits Austin Howard leaving the program wow who is next
blackbearfan

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:Would like to see Myers expand his game and play some point. If he could play some spot duty, Maine should be in better shape at the position if Calixte can stay healthy. McKennon is your fringe back up. Boz has the work ethic, intensity and heart and he certainly improved...but he still can't shoot. D1 point guards have to be able to knock down open threes to keep the defense honest. His free throw percentage is also poor. I think he could have some success at the D2 level. Serviceable back up at D1. If Walsh believes he can get better players, then he has to go out and get them. Tough call on Bernstein, but I wouldn't give him a scholly if I believed I could find a more talented player.

BZ: Maine had Ryan Bernstein for 2 complete seasons. No reason that he should not have improved his shooting.

Start at the foul line and then go to jump shots and then 3 pointers.

Again be it UMaine post players or guards they improve only because of their increased playing time not because of being helped individually.

Staff is great at finding, identifying talent and recruiting, but once they get them, players don't seem to get better.

Just my opinion.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:41 pm

blackbearfan wrote:verbal commits Austin Howard leaving the program wow who is next

bbf: Interesting, thanks for the news and info.

Agree with you on Boz. Certainly deserved a Scholarship for his efforts as a walk on. Melmad earned one for hard work in practices and Bernstein didn't get one for his efforts in a tough game situations.

If you are/were one of the many guards 12 returning at UMaine and Maine is offering more guards (when they need BIGS) can understand why they might be looking to transfer as has Bernstein, Reid-Knight and now Howard. Gone from 12 to 9 guards in almost 2 months since the season was completed.

Guards left: Returning 7 plus 2 transfers=9
Point Guards: Calixe 12? or 11? RS? and McKennon 11
Off guards: Myers 12, Evans 10, Dusan M., RS10 transfer from LaSalle, White 10 JUCO Transfer. Walk ons Ashley 10, Melmad 12, Ward 12,

BIGS Available Returning 4 added 1 Antoms=5
Centers: Eze 10, Antoms 9
Forwards: Er 12, Fleming, Ilija S.

Looks like they now have 2 scholarships (not including Melmad with a scholarship) available with Howard and Reid-Knight looking to transfer.
bcbc55

Postby Blind Zebra » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:44 pm

Busy day for UMaine. 5'10 PG Celio Arujao from Boston by way of Sheridan Junior College has committed to Maine.

In other news...
Former Black Bear Lavar Harewood commits to South Carolina St.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:54 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:Busy day for UMaine. 5'10 PG Celio Arujao from Boston by way of Sheridan Junior College has committed to Maine.

In other news...
Former Black Bear Lavar Harewood commits to South Carolina St.

BZL Thanks for the additional info. Is this JUCO going to be a sophomore or a junior? Back up to double figure guards to 10 with this signing.

Good for Harewood. South Carolina State 9-20 past year and ranked 307 in ncaa.com end-of-season RPI rankings compared to Maine's 6-25 and 323, so still a slight move upward for Harewood. However, the conferene SCState is in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference is the last ranked RPI conference at 32 to America East's 21st in realtimerpi.com's Conference RPI rankings for the end of the year.

A lot better weather and climate too.

Two years ago he was the only recruited player on the roster recruited by the current regime's that had not attended a prep school prior coming to Maine. He' was a young player directly out of High School.
bcbc55

Postby cantdothat » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:23 pm

Going back around 6 years ago, I had to opportunity to coach Celio Arujao at Hoop Mountain Basketball Academy in the summer @ Roger Williams University. We were in the junior division of the camp.
I have very fond memories of Celio.He led us to leave camp as team champions. Infectious positive attitude. Unselfish team player. Needed to improve upon his perimeter shooting. But, his toughness and desire were immeasurable. What I remember most was Celio's defensive ability and have not seen a better man to man on ball defender.
Now this was 6 years ago and I haven't seen him since. I have followed his progress over the years. Needless to say I was very excited to see his name in the news today.

Brian McDormand
Lowell, Maine
cantdothat

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:41 pm

cantdothat wrote:Going back around 6 years ago, I had to opportunity to coach Celio Arujao at Hoop Mountain Basketball Academy in the summer @ Roger Williams University. We were in the junior division of the camp.
I have very fond memories of Celio.He led us to leave camp as team champions. Infectious positive attitude. Unselfish team player. Needed to improve upon his perimeter shooting. But, his toughness and desire were immeasurable. What I remember most was Celio's defensive ability and have not seen a better man to man on ball defender.
Now this was 6 years ago and I haven't seen him since. I have followed his progress over the years. Needless to say I was very excited to see his name in the news today.

Brian McDormand
Lowell, Maine

Brian: Thanks for the info. How is coaching retirement? Good to see you keep right up. If you say he is as good as you do 6 years ago that is good enough for me. Only problem he is another small guard when Maine really needs BIGS.

Is he a sophomoe or junior next year, do you know? As a JUCO he is eligible right away. Hope he is good enough to push Calixe for point guard time.

Thanks again.

CIM
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Tue May 02, 2017 5:53 am

cruising around Twitter this morning and I went to Bob Walsh's page and thought I'd look to see who he is following, and it's pretty interesting, and reveals a lot of the players it seems Maine is recruiting or has recruited.

https://twitter.com/CoachBobWalsh/following

He follows a lot of current and former UMaine, RIC, and Providence College athletes and coaches, a lot of media and basketball recruiting and coaching sites.

But it is the players that are what provides insight.

There are some players we know are coming to Maine like :

Miks Antoms, Celio Araujo, Isaiah White

Names we've seen on other recruiting lists like :

Scott Hitchon, Vernon Lowndes Jr

And then there are others that must be someone the staff is keeping watch over like :

Terion Moss, Traé Bryant, Isaiah Easaw, and Shavar Reynolds JR.

Those are four names I have not seen elsewhere, it appears those are guys to keep an eye on.

Coach Cim, you really need to get twitter.
Linguist

Postby cantdothat » Tue May 02, 2017 8:59 am

cantdothat

Postby OK » Tue May 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Another signing: https://twitter.com/JBeckwith_NCSA/status/859120434092142592

Rob Birstonas, a 6'5" guard from Canada by way of Tilton. I don't believe he had any other D1 offers.

His youtube highlights don't impress much at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp8JCyVW7YY&t=252s

I'm thinking redshirt?
OK

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics