UMaine Basketball - Men:: 2017-18

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Basketball - Men:: 2017-18

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:44 pm

mainejeff wrote:This kid can play. Check out his junior highlight video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXs7RCdfHok

A very versatile post player who has a knack for getting to the hoop but can also hit the outside shot. Great passer, defender and shot blocker and can also handle the ball pretty well. He would be a game changer for this program IMO. If he were in a New England prep school....Maine would have no shot at him. Let's not forget however that Texas is a HUGE state with tons of basketball talent. Herrion at UNH has mined Texas players for years now. I always thought that Maine should do more recruiting in Texas and on the West Coast for student-athltes in various sports. The name brand and location carries much more cache out there than it does in the over-crowded and ultra competitive Northeast.

MJ: Thanks for the video on McFarland. Agree with your assessment of his talents.

After watching the video I say sign up if he wants to come. Good combination McFarland and Antoms.

Different type of back-to-basket players, both with stronger points then the other.

McFarland more athletic and quicker
Antoms more physical and aggressive
Antoms video was against Prep Schoolers and McFarlands was against high schoolers.

If McFarland signs there will be time to evaluate both against each other in the future.

Thanks again.
bcbc55

Postby aechamps » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:14 am

There you go Bob ....Troy Reid Knight is leaving the program. Don't worry about scholarships and whats available.... Trust me if the coaching staff really wants someone they will find a way to get them in. If this kid from Texas is visiting this weekend lets just hope he enjoys this warm spring day here in Maine today.... :roll: :roll:
aechamps

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:36 am

aechamps wrote:There you go Bob ....Troy Reid Knight is leaving the program. Don't worry about scholarships and whats available.... Trust me if the coaching staff really wants someone they will find a way to get them in. If this kid from Texas is visiting this weekend lets just hope he enjoys this warm spring day here in Maine today.... :roll: :roll:

aechamps: Thanks for info on Troy Reid-Knight.

Who is or who is not one of the 13 scholarship players for 2017-18?

Graduated senior Pirovic

Were listed as senors last year but sat out with injuries:
Beal and Reid-Knight (who you said has left program) What about Beal?

Next year's classes

Seniors
1 Beal (if he returns) would be a red shirt senior
2 Calixe (possible red shirt junior)
3 Er (possible red shirt junior)
4 Myers
5 Howard
Melmad walk on or on scholarship is 14 players?
Ward walk on

Juniors
6 Ilija S.
7 McKennon

Sophomores
8 Evans
9 Eze (red shirt soph)
10 Fleming
11 White (Transfer Juco signed 11/15/16
12 Dusan M. (Transfer LaSalle) Sat out last year
Ashley walk on red shirt

Freshmen
13 Antoms (lee Prep recruit)

Offered for next year
McFarland
Lowndes

So is key to McFarland or Lowndes getting a scholarship whether Melmad is on scholarship or not?

If they really want to give a recruit a scholarship and have none of the 13 scholarships available how does that happen? ae you told me not to worry about scholarships.

Only way I can think of is if somebody who has a scholarship......just leaves team like Reid-Knight or transfers. With the overload of guards could see POSSIBLE transfer(s) coming from the guards.

Again what is Beal's status? If he comes back is he still a scholarship player like Reid-Knight was?

Just wonderin? I'm confused, but it doesn't take much to confuse me now at my age.

So guess should take your advice ae and not be concerned about if there are enough scholarships to go around.

Is it correct that the men are allowed 13 scholarships per year and that the scholarships are for one year and renewed each spring? Am I right on those 2 counts?

Help aechamp or just not worry!

Let me do some thinking ae.

After further deliberations I have decided to trust you aechamp and not worry about who has or who doesn't have a scholarship for 2017-18.

Reasons for not worrying: FTRST YOUR ADVICE
2. Will they still use 10 plus players double figure minutes per game
3. Will they still not develop inside-outside game
4. Will they still allow players to decide who shoots, when and where from
5. Will they still not improve players shooting percentages from the floor 40%, from the line 65% and from 3's 30%. Only the players can do that on their own, unless the new ones, Antoms, White, Dusan M. already are good percentage shooters

Based my decision not to worry about the 4 things (2.3.4.5) mentioned above and the fact that they have been "doing the same things over and over and over again (for 3 years and probably 4 years)...well you know the rest of that line ae.

At worse go 8-8 in conference play and win a tourney game could save the coaching staff and if Maine does it then it will be the players not the staff that saves the jobs if they still do the same things the staff has done and have allowed the players to do the past 3 seasons. listed as 2,3,4,5 above..

Good size all around, a lot of experience back, good athletes, good depth, etc. On paper they look like at worse they SHOULD be able to do just that. But, the game is played on hard wood not paper.

I will say this, "This staff sure can recruit."
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:06 pm

I believe the McFarland kid is a HS Junior is he not?

And from what I heard from a professor on campus, Beal is graduating and not interested in returning.
Linguist

Postby mainejeff » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:32 pm

Linguist wrote:I believe the McFarland kid is a HS Junior is he not?

And from what I heard from a professor on campus, Beal is graduating and not interested in returning.

McFarland is a HS Senior.

Beal has been injured for what seems like an eternity...glad to see that he is moving on.

PG Cornwall is off the list....he has committed to Gardner-Webb.
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:45 pm

Lindquist and mj: Do I flip a coin on McFarland?

Heads he Is a junior now going to be a senior next year or Tails he is a senior now?

Thanks for the info though.

Lindquist: Thanks for letting us know about Garret Beal. He was really a tough luck player with all those injuiries throughout his college career.

Appreciate the update on Garret. Great individual.
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:52 am

MJ are you sure he is a senior?

The youtube video linked is titled :

"Zane McFarland 2017 north forney junior year basketball highlights "

That made me think 2017 was his Junior Year, and he'd be heading back to HS as a senior in the fall.

Otherwise why is this kid not getting more offers?

And as far as Beal goes, that was just the belief of one professor, not sure if it is hard fact at this point. May not want to write him off fully yet.
Linguist

Postby UConn3 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:04 am

UConn3

Postby aechamps » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:26 pm

Zane McFarland to East Central University in OK...........Just like MaineJeff predicted ....... closer to his girlfriend
aechamps

Re: UMaine Basketball - Men:: 2017-18

Postby Linguist » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:24 am

TRK is transferring? Did UMaine announce that? Did Troy? I would expect he must be transferring down to D2 because if he goes to another D1 school he will have to sit out one more year and then play just 1 more at that school. Off to a D2 and he can play in November (health permitting) for one full season.

I wonder if Beal would consider transferring to Husson or USM and playing at the D3 level for a year to wrap up his collegiate career. I heard he has no desire to play at Maine further, but maybe to go to one of those schools it would be interesting to him.

Also, per Verbal Commits - Jaheam Cornwell is headed to Gardiner-Webb, and James Karnik of Canada is headed to Lehigh. Karnik was interesting at 6-9 225 who looked pretty good in the paint and on the glass in his highlight video. McFarland is headed to Division 2 - Eastern Oklahoma Something. Not surprised there.

And according to VC, Maine has 6 offers out there, and 1 scholarship available.
Linguist

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics