UMaine Basketball - Men:: 2017-18

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Basketball - Men:: 2017-18

Postby thebam » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:02 am

Using the Pit to promote the program.. hahaha. yeah. Your credibility continues to climb !!!! What a joke. I can't stop laughing. What other league do you suggest Maine move to? One with more than 1 bid.. How does that help Maine? They can't even sniff a single bid. If AE had 4 bids, they still don't sniff it.. so laughable right now.
I will wear the Blue and White to Lubbock in NOvember and Coach Walsh and the boys will have my full support on that night. Hopefully this is the year when it all clicks.
thebam

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:24 am

My guess is the team peaks during the 2018-2019 season if they can find another point guard and/or big.

they'll lose calixte and er, but will be returning the whole host of other guards, swings, and hopefully eze will be back healthy. if they can pick up another guard or one of the guys already on the roster can turn into another lead guard to flank Bryant, and add another post player they would be in really good shape to peak that season.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:23 pm

UMainesuperman: Calixe should be a senior in 2018-19 as he played in less of the NCAA rule of 7 cutoff games to get his junior year back.

Er might return as a senior 2018-19 as he only played in 11 games his junior year. but he would have to get special permission for the NCAA as 7 games is usually the cut off number of games getting an out for injured season back.

With 7 new people available Dusan M. transfer from LaSalle, Frosh 6'10" Antoms, JUCOS White, Arugao, Lowendes, Douglas, and Bryant joining 8 returnees Fleming, ER, Calixe, Iljia S., Evans, and (5 which will play minutes)) walk ons Ashley, Melmad and Ward.

New players out number the returnees that are capable of playing 7 to 5. Interesting to see how they jell in non-conference play and will Walsh go with those 12 players in non-conference games and then find the best combination of 8 for conference play or will he continue with using the dozen?
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:28 pm

thebam wrote:Using the Pit to promote the program.. hahaha. yeah. Your credibility continues to climb !!!! What a joke. I can't stop laughing. What other league do you suggest Maine move to? One with more than 1 bid.. How does that help Maine? They can't even sniff a single bid. If AE had 4 bids, they still don't sniff it.. so laughable right now.
I will wear the Blue and White to Lubbock in NOvember and Coach Walsh and the boys will have my full support on that night. Hopefully this is the year when it all clicks.

You sound like one of the same bunch who critiqued me about UMAINE never playing football in Portland either.
Now, of course I was found out to be right.

Having been a UMAINE JV player back in 1978 I have a pretty good idea how things work at UMAINE. So, I find your comments are not constructive to much of anything....except those of your own doing....but I expect I will
continue to read the same old nonsense.

What league would UMAINE get into?. I agree if they can't succeed in AMERICA EAST then it would be a tough sell to potential recruits. If the history of the program speaks anything it is that UMAINE has been a .500 or worse program for a long time.

It really is time to shake things up with the basketball program. I still feel the CAA would be a better place for UMAINE basketball to be affiliated with. Not many potential recruits will come to UMAINE if the program has no
legitimate shot at getting into the NCAA tournament or at least an NIT bid year in and year out, and the ones that do show up are just seeing UMAINE as another opportunity to move on later. Basketball is all about recruiting.

While I do wish the latest recruits the best, I do feel that Walsh's tenure is on the line with this season. If he starts off badly again, I think he is gone. But I agree give him one more chance and lets see if he can get another chance to turn things around. But if we are into late December and the program has lost more games
than they have won I think he will be out.
basketball_guy

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:56 pm

I believe a change of Conference could do a world of good for UMAINE. According to ESPN conference Power Rankings for College Basketball, America East is ranked 23rd in Mens Basketball while the Colonial Athletic Association was ranked 13th.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ording-bpi

Furthermore I look at a team like the Richmond Spiders in the Atlantic 10 who did very well this year in the NIT.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/SportSel ... M_ID=26800

Both UNC Wilmington and Charleston went on to post-season play. Besides that these are the same team UMAINE
plays in College football. It just makes sense for them to make the move.

UMAINE could do well in the CAA conference and would do a world of good for basketball recruiting.
Maine can still play the Vermonts and New Hampshires but the long term move to the CAA is it is a more
powerful basketball conference and the CAA is ranked much higher than the America East Conference. But
it also would mean more games against Atlantic 10 Conference teams as well.

CAASTANDINGS

2016-17 Men's Basketball Standings
SCHOOL CAA OVERALL
UNCW 15-3 29-6
CHARLESTON 14-4 25-10
TOWSON 11-7 20-13
ELON 10-8 18-14
WILLIAM & MARY 10-8 17-14
NORTHEASTERN 8-10 15-16
HOFSTRA 7-11 15-17
JAMES MADISON 7-11 10-23
DELAWARE 5-13 13-20
DREXEL 3-15 9-23

Other conferences

7. American
8. Missouri Valley
9. Atlantic 10
10. West Coast
11. Mountain West
12. Mid-American
13. Colonial Athletic Association
14. Sun Belt
15. Horizon League
16. Ivy League
17. Summit League
18. MAAC
19. Conference USA
20. Southern
21. Atlantic Sun
22. Ohio Valley
23. America East
24. Patriot League
25. Big West
26. Big Sky
27. Big South
28. WAC
29. Northeast
30. Southland
31. SWAC
32. MEAC
basketball_guy

Postby mainejeff » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:09 am

This CAA thing is bizarre....Richmond is in the A-10 yet you use them as your prime example of going to the CAA (???). Maine doesn't play UNC-Wilmington or College of Charleston in football because neither of them have a football program (???). Only 4 CAA schools have football programs (Delaware, Towson, JMU, W&M). 4 of the 5 former America East programs were at the bottom of the CAA standings last season yet somehow you feel that Maine would do better in the CAA (???). I just don't get it........ :? :? :?
mainejeff

Postby Linguist » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:41 am

I think Maine will be better when Aaron Calixte is gone. I have no confidence in him at all. Not a real playmaker in my opinion.
Linguist

Postby thebam » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:07 am

You sound like one of the same bunch who critiqued me about UMAINE never playing football in Portland either.
Now, of course I was found out to be right.

No.. Good try. You were beating the drum for Maine to play ALL games in Portland. That was and is ridiculous and isn't happening. They played the spring game down there, and guess what? Nobody showed up.
Why don't you create a poll. Ask how many are in favor of moving games to the Pit. I am 100% positive what the outcome will be. You spew nonsense without doing research. You are impossible to take seriously.
thebam

Postby parquetfloor » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:18 am

I still don't get this thing about switching conferences. Even if Maine wanted to switch (which, again, why would they given the situation as a whole) to a different league, there would have to be mutual interest. There is no league interested in Maine as a whole, at least none that UMaine would be interested in as well (the Northeast Conference comes to mind).

This really doesn't make any sense.

I mean, Vermont is probably the most successful and stable basketball program in the league right now (along with Albany) and I really doubt anyone is beating down their door to join their conference anytime soon.
parquetfloor

Postby thebam » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:26 am

The only scenario that even remotely makes sense for America East is to merge with the Patriot League. If a couple of teams from AE were to jump ship ( Albany, Vermont.. you know the good ones) , the league would fold quickly anyway.
thebam

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics