UMaine Basketball - Men:: 2017-18

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

UMaine Basketball - Men:: 2017-18

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:21 am

Looking ahead:

whose coming as additions in for fall of 2017?
how many open scholarships for 2017 ?
whose being recruited ?
whats coaches recruiting calendar look like ?

Who is the expert in these area. ? or best sources that you have found ..
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: MBB: 2017-18 .... Looking ahead:

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:22 am

Maine Basketball‏ @BlackBearMBB
Competitive. Intense. Fun. #together
video: https://twitter.com/BlackBearMBB/status ... 7340448768
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Tom Nolette wrote:Looking ahead:

Hi Tom: How are things going?

whose coming as additions in for fall of 2017?
MEN: ISAIAH WHITE 6'5" GUARD
WOMEN: SHOOTING GUARD FOGARTY FROM MASSACHSETTS

how many open scholarships for 2017 ?
MEN: ONE RIGHT NOW, depends on if there are any transfers going out
WOMEN: 7... 5 transfers and 2 seniors

whose being recruited ?
MEN: HOPE A BIG 6'9" 230
WOMEN: Don't know but definitely need a point guard to try to replace Sigi and need 2 BiGS to replace Sole and Keleva

whats coaches recruiting calendar look like ?
DON'T KNOW FOR EITHER PROGRAM

Who is the expert in these area. ? or best sources that you have found ..

Sources: goblackbears.com
Bangor Daily News
Portland Press Hearld
and of course MBR

CIM
bcbc55

Postby Manny99 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:01 pm

Tom - thanks for sharing the UM basketball twitter post. Although a small sample size, I love what I see in that video - great energy, great communication, guys look like they are having fun and playing hard. I believe that good things are on the horizon for the Black Bears. A tough break one year ago with the Big 3 transferring out, set them back a couple of years. Let's give these kids and the program two things - time to grow and support. There will be some more bumps in the road for sure, but let's come together, support and root our home state's lone D1 program.
Manny99

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:14 pm

Manny99 wrote:Tom - thanks for sharing the UM basketball twitter post. Although a small sample size, I love what I see in that video - great energy, great communication, guys look like they are having fun and playing hard. I believe that good things are on the horizon for the Black Bears. A tough break one year ago with the Big 3 transferring out, set them back a couple of years. Let's give these kids and the program two things - time to grow and support. There will be some more bumps in the road for sure, but let's come together, support and root our home state's lone D1 program.

manny99: What kids time to grow? 1 JUCO transfer sophomore Isaiah White, 1 red shirt sophomore transfer from LaSalle Dusan M., 2 sophomores who played a lot of minutes last year in Fleming right from high school and Evans from a year of prep school from England, that is just 4 kids, no freshman coming in as of right now and 2 sophomore re-shirt or 1 JUCO and 1 regular transfers. The rest are at least 3rd year red shirts sophomores Eze and Ashley, 2 year junior veterans, Bernstein, Ilija S, JUCO
McKennon, Red shirt junior Aaron Calixe, JUCO senior Ilker Er (unless he gets year back from sitting out after 11 games with a knee injury),JUCO senior Austin Howard, senior Wes Myers, senior walkons Melmad and Ward.

They do have 1 scholarship available.Hopefully for a BIG, 6'9" 230 type.

HOWEVER, the best PLAYERS EXCEPT FOR FLEMING AND EVANS ARE VETERAN PLAYERS WITH AT LEAST 2, 3 or 4 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE beyond high school.

THIS IS A VETERAN TEAM AS THERE ARE NO FRESHMEN AND SHOULD BE ABLE TO FINISH AT EAST 8-8 IN CONFERENCE PLAY AND POSSIBLY WIN A TOURNAMENT GAME.

However, regardless of how much depth they have on paper if they use more than 7 players more than double figure minutes (used 12 players more than double figure minute last year) they will not meet finishing .500 in the conference.

Starters
Myers, Er and Fleming should be getting 35 minutes a game
Eze 30 minutes. (If can stay out of foul trouble)
Calixe 30 minutes,

subs: pick 3 of these 9
Evans,Howard, White, Dusan M., Bernstein, Iljia S. or McKeenon, Ashlely, 1 scholarship left
Last edited by bcbc55 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bcbc55

Postby Blind Zebra » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:46 pm

Not a ton of activity that I've seen on the recruiting trail. Maine has offered 3 bigs according verbal commits. 2 Canadians and 1 from Maryland. 6'8 Scott Hichon from Whitby, Ontario (home of Justin Edwards) is the most high profile guy of the 3. He has drawn recent interest from Siena and Quinnipiac as well as Iona and Mount St Mary's.
Maine has also offered several tweener forward types, one of which Bobby Planutis, prepped at Bridgton Academy. Judging by some of the highlight tapes Maine is looking at some pretty athletic, hard playing kids. Good to see that they are looking at several Canadians. In many cases, Maine is recruiting against upstate and metro NY schools, also CT, MD, NJ. Not a lot of other AE schools listed on the players Walsh and staff have offered. The one commitment they have is Isaiah White an athletic juco swingman who will have 3 years of eligibility.

Good News: Maine has 3 experienced point guards returning in Calixte, Bernstein and McKennon. All should be juniors, as Calixte should be entitled to a redshirt playing in just 5 games last season.
Myers returns as a senior and provides Maine with a go to player, who can get a bucket when the offense breaks down around him. Ilker Er returns as another experienced player who gives Maine a legit 3 point threat.
The sophomore inside combo of Fleming and Eze showed good potential and solid production.

Bad News: Maine is still not a good defensive team. They lack a true rim protector and backcourt defensive stopper. Maine lacks inside strength and needs to improve team rebounding. Another area of concern is a lack of shooting threats Maine has at its disposal. Would be nice to add a versatile big who can stretch the floor and a couple of recruits with some length at their respective positions.
Blind Zebra

Postby mainejeff » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:56 pm

I have a hunch that Maine will be filling more than 1 scholarship.
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:12 pm

mainejeff wrote:I have a hunch that Maine will be filling more than 1 scholarship.

mainejeff: More transfers to come??????????????????????????//
bcbc55

Postby Blind Zebra » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:21 pm

I could see a couple guys at the bottom of the roster moving down a notch to D2. I don't think anyone is moving on up this year.
Blind Zebra

Postby Manny99 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:02 pm

bcbc55 I think you are spot on in regards to the line up looking like 3 guards, Fleming and Eze. And they could go with 'big' guards -

G - Er 6'6
G - Myers 6'2
G - Majstorovic 6'5
F - Fleming 6'7
F - Eze 6'8

Also, as Cim mentioned, this line up has some experience. Let's get to 11-14 Wins, and get some momentum to keep building this thing.
Manny99

Next

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics