Umaine media coverage deficiencies

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Umaine media coverage deficiencies

Postby TAL1957 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:03 am

Badda Bing, Badda BOOM !!
TAL1957 wrote: He'll now respond with the same old, same old, or switch it over to one of his other oft-repeated, off-topic and irrelevant rant lines.
Ten, nine, eight, 7, 6, 5, 4, ...... here it goes .......

Actually took an hour or so longer than I was anticipating, but the old relic did indeed do the predicted same old, same old, same old, same old ......
Move on Old Man, the sport has passed ya by, and if you don't care enuf to catch up with current reality of D1 athletics, at least don't RUIN every thread line hear on MBR. :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

AND WHAT ABOUT : "UMAINE MEDIA COVERAGE DEFICIENCIES" ???

Anyone remember that that was the topic here, until .......... :cry: :cry: :roll:
TAL1957
 
Posts: 4824
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Umaine media coverage deficiencies

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:35 pm

TAL1957 wrote:Badda Bing, Badda BOOM !!
TAL1957 wrote: He'll now respond with the same old, same old, or switch it over to one of his other oft-repeated, off-topic and irrelevant rant lines.
Ten, nine, eight, 7, 6, 5, 4, ...... here it goes .......

Actually took an hour or so longer than I was anticipating, but the old relic did indeed do the predicted same old, same old, same old, same old ......
Move on Old Man, the sport has passed ya by, and if you don't care enuf to catch up with current reality of D1 athletics, at least don't RUIN every thread line hear on MBR. :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

AND WHAT ABOUT : "UMAINE MEDIA COVERAGE DEFICIENCIES" ???

Anyone remember that that was the topic here, until .......... :cry: :cry: :roll:



TAL''''''''': ''''''''''those are your tear drops.

Must not be any UMAINE MEDIA COVERAGE DEFICIENCIES, as there haven't been too many posts about it.

It's been on since last Saturday, March 25 and has only had 21 reponses and 619 views. Time to move on to another topic.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Umaine media coverage deficiencies

Postby turkeyman » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:39 pm

A couple of tidbits that relate to the original topic of this thread, "UMaine media coverage deficiencies."

Dunbar posted this week that Bernstein is said to be transferring from the mbb program. The press, of course, cannot (or should not) report rumors, but if any of the media outlets -- the BDN would be the most likely -- had any sort of presence on campus, a reporter could have heard the rumor even before Dunbar did, or could at least have picked it up from his post, and made some calls and an office visit or two in Memorial Gym and put together a story on whether Bernstein is leaving and, if true, whether there are suggestions that any others will follow.

Second, with Mississippi State and South Carolina punching their tickets to the women's championship, a soft story could be had on UMaine's having played both this year. But, as Linguist wrote, the athletic department is a black hole for information. Reporters probably wouldn't even try to get permission to talk to players who had been on the court or the coaches who had been on the bench against the two teams left standing. This is hardly an earth-shaking story, but it could be very readable. And who knows, a reporter talking to players and coaches who competed against MSU and USC might dig up leads that turn into other stories.

But the media are not on campus and the athletic department may not want them on campus, so neither story will see the light of day. Just a couple of examples of how UMaine athletics news stays buried.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
Last edited by turkeyman on Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turkeyman
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Re: Umaine media coverage deficiencies

Postby TAL1957 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:47 pm

turkeyman wrote: A couple of tidbits that relate to the original topic of this thread, "UMaine media coverage deficiencies."

Dunbar posted this week that Bernstein is said to be transferring from the mbb program. The press, of course, cannot (or should not) report rumors, but if any of the media outlets, and the BDN would be the most likely, had any sort of presence on campus, a reporter could have heard the rumor even before Dunbar did, or could at least have picked it up from his post, and made some calls and an office visit or two in Memorial Gym and put together a story on whether Bernstein is leaving and, if true, whether there are suggestions that any others will follow.
Yep !!!
turkeyman wrote: Second, with Mississippi State and South Carolina punching their tickets to the women's championship, a soft story could be had on UMaine's having played both this year. But, as Linguist wrote, the athletic department is a black hole for information. Reporters probably wouldn't even try to get permission to talk to players who had been on the court or the coaches who had been on the bench against the two teams left standing. This is hardly an earth-shaking story, but it could be very readable. And who knows, a reporter talking to players and coaches who competed against MSU and USC might dig up leads that lead to other stories.

Just a couple of examples of how UMaine athletics news stays buried.
Yep x 2+ !!!
Gotta believe there will be something about them Miss. St. ladies !!????
TAL1957
 
Posts: 4824
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Umaine media coverage deficiencies

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:26 pm

Bob: Thanks for Another excellent, informative, timely and interesting post as usual.I wouldn't consider them just tidbits, they were excellent big points.

Maybe one of the media outlets in Bangor, TV-Radio-print should hire "dunbar" by the hour part time as he is on campus as a student and his posts are usually very accurate.

There was very little interest in men's basketball this past winter as several games had less than 200 actual bodies in the seats. Maine reports the attendance including season ticket holders and corporate tickets so to make it look like they might have 800 fans in attendance.

With interest down at as low as it has been for a long time the media outlets are not that interested in Maine men's basketball. I guess "Bad news is better than no news at all".

So the Maine men are lucky they get the coverage that they do get.

Reasons for lack of interest in order that effect attendance.

1. Not winning 17-74 last 3 years
2. ONLY 1 scholarship and 1 walk on Maine high school former players...No greater Bangor Players on scholarship that get major minutes and none in the future
3. Lack of transparency about the program especially when the negatives far out weigh the positives
4.PLaying off campus

The women's program could well suffer the same fate as the men next year if they don't:

1. win
2. Have more than Only 2 Mainers on the roster, none from greater Bangor Area and none coming in
3. NO Transparency about the coaching situation which the longer they wait on a decision the farther they get behind in recruiting and with only 7 players returning and 1 incoming freshmen signed, they may well have to go the walk on try out route just to get a full roster and that will not contribute to winning
4. With the adopted Mainer Sigi Koizar gone that will not help attendance or winning next year
5. not playing on campus

CIM
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Previous

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mbrusko, turkeyman, yorkcountyUNHfan and 68 guests