Page 1 of 3

NCAA's $200M Payout..Maine to add mental-health program

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:34 pm
by dunbar
The NCAA is distributing $200M to Division I in mid-April, and the shares are based upon the number of equivalent scholarships each institution's athletic department offered in the 2013-14 academic year. Maine will be getting $640,038, based on the 194.47 scholarships they offered in '13-'14. The NCAA has some control how schools can use the money, but there's no denying the benefits this will have on smaller schools budgets.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co ... /99582450/

Here's the breakdown per school. Very interesting to see the differences football vs. non-football, public vs. private, just look at the Big East.

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/usatoday/ed ... school.pdf

UMaine to receive significant payout from NCAA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:06 am
by Tom Nolette
UMaine to receive significant payout from NCAA

ORONO - As part of a national one-time payout for Division I schools, the University of Maine is set to receive significant funding from the NCAA.

The association announced Friday Division I schools would be receiving a cash bonus based on the number of athletic scholarships they provided during the 2013-14 academic year. To determine the amount each school was owed, every scholarship provided by the institution resulted in one credit for each set of partial awards, ultimately adding up to the equivalent of a full scholarship.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/19 ... -from-ncaa

Re: UMaine to receive significant payout from NCAA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:56 am
by TAL1957
Here's the important part:

A) UMaine will take home $640,038, the second most in America East behind Albany's $695, 429 payout.

B) the money can ONLY be spent on improving direct student-athlete "welfare" (???), aiding areas like academic support or healthcare. .... hmmm, .... Bail ??

But seriously, not exactly chump change !!
Gotta wonder though exactly where this money will go ?
Unfortunately, whaddya wanna bet it'll just go to "support" existing "academic support" or healthcare programs, i.e., a one-time dump into the existing budget(s), with little actual "new" benefits to student-athletes ??
Jus sayin' .... let's keep a very close eye on where this $$ goes !??

Re: UMaine to receive significant payout from NCAA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:19 pm
by hockeypuck9399
Can they use some of it to buy Red out and send him packing?

Re: UMaine to receive significant payout from NCAA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:26 pm
by bcbc55
hockeypuck9399 wrote:Can they use some of it to buy Red out and send him packing?


hockeypuck9399: Don't stop there, the men's basketball program is in worse shape then men's hockey....

Examples:

1. 17-74 in 3 years,

2. pre-season losses to D-3 USM 3 years ago & USCAA 2 UMFK at the PIT" this past season (not included in 74 losses)

3. 5 transfers last spring

4. the BREAK "incident this past February

5. last month's attempted 5 player coverup

6. 5 suspensions,

7. AD-Coach hope "BREAK incident" doesn't get out

8. how suspensions were not handled properly in all areas of the "BREAK".

9. All the injuries the past 3 years

10. Conference Shooting% this season: FG% 40%.... 3 point % 30%....FS% 65%

11. Conference offensive 61.4 ppg... Defensive 72.4 ppg

12, ncaa,com official rpi 323 of 351 D-1 team rankings in the 22nd of 32 D-1 conferences

13. Using too many players as 12 players got double figures minutes for the 31 games

14. No inside outside game at all

15. Only recruits guards

16. Can't recruit Bigs 6'9" 230lbs or bigger

17. Lost 6'9" Mainer Nick Mayo to Eastern Kentucky two years ago because of a poor recruiting technique

an on and on and on and on..................................

Re: UMaine to receive significant payout from NCAA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:12 am
by Yikes
I was going to write a well thought out response to Cims accusation that UMaine botched Mayos recruitment. Instead I'll respond with something more on your level. YOURE WRONG PETER GAVIN 1969 SLOW BORING BASKETBALL CIM WAS THE GREATEST COACH OF ALL TIME AND IS ABOVE REPROACH.

Re: UMaine to receive significant payout from NCAA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:38 am
by bcbc55
Yikes wrote:I was going to write a well thought out response to Cims accusation that UMaine botched Mayos recruitment. Instead I'll respond with something more on your level. YOURE WRONG PETER GAVIN 1969 SLOW BORING BASKETBALL CIM WAS THE GREATEST COACH OF ALL TIME AND IS ABOVE REPROACH.


Yikes: Unless you have close contact with the situation on the players side you don't Know how they botched it.

IT WAS PETER GAVETT AND IT WAS 66 POINTS PER GAME.

Not the greatest.

Not above reproach if proven wrong.

So Yikes, you are 0 for 4 and that shows how much you really know about UMaine basketball, Orono High School basketball and about me.

Re: UMaine to receive significant payout from NCAA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:02 am
by TAL1957
So, .... Any thoughts on the below windfall $$$ that DOES NOT involve all-things MBB ???

This is a pretty significant chunk o' money that UMaine now has available for supporting/improving "student-athlete welfare" !!??

Tom Nolette wrote:UMaine to receive significant payout from NCAA

ORONO - As part of a national one-time payout for Division I schools, the University of Maine is set to receive significant funding from the NCAA.

The association announced Friday Division I schools would be receiving a cash bonus based on the number of athletic scholarships they provided during the 2013-14 academic year. To determine the amount each school was owed, every scholarship provided by the institution resulted in one credit for each set of partial awards, ultimately adding up to the equivalent of a full scholarship.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/19 ... -from-ncaa

TAL1957 wrote:Here's the important part:

A) UMaine will take home $640,038, the second most in America East behind Albany's $695, 429 payout.

B) the money can ONLY be spent on improving direct student-athlete "welfare" (???), aiding areas like academic support or healthcare. .... hmmm, .... Bail ??

But seriously, not exactly chump change !!
Gotta wonder though exactly where this money will go ?
Unfortunately, whaddya wanna bet it'll just go to "support" existing "academic support" or healthcare programs, i.e., a one-time dump into the existing budget(s), with little actual "new" benefits to student-athletes ??
Jus sayin' .... let's keep a very close eye on where this $$ goes !??

Re: UMaine to receive significant payout from NCAA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:45 pm
by TAL1957
Okay, I'll try one last time to redirect the Focus ... on to ... the PAYOUT. E.g., ---
TAL1957 wrote:So, .... Any thoughts on the below windfall $$$ that DOES NOT involve all-things MBB ???

This is a pretty significant chunk o' money that UMaine now has available for supporting/improving "student-athlete welfare" !!??

Tom Nolette wrote:UMaine to receive significant payout from NCAA

ORONO - As part of a national one-time payout for Division I schools, the University of Maine is set to receive significant funding from the NCAA.

The association announced Friday Division I schools would be receiving a cash bonus based on the number of athletic scholarships they provided during the 2013-14 academic year. To determine the amount each school was owed, every scholarship provided by the institution resulted in one credit for each set of partial awards, ultimately adding up to the equivalent of a full scholarship.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/19 ... -from-ncaa

TAL1957 wrote:Here's the important part:

A) UMaine will take home $640,038, the second most in America East behind Albany's $695, 429 payout.

B) the money can ONLY be spent on improving direct student-athlete "welfare" (???), aiding areas like academic support or healthcare. .... hmmm, .... Bail ??

But seriously, not exactly chump change !!
Gotta wonder though exactly where this money will go ?
Unfortunately, whaddya wanna bet it'll just go to "support" existing "academic support" or healthcare programs, i.e., a one-time dump into the existing budget(s), with little actual "new" benefits to student-athletes ??
Jus sayin' .... let's keep a very close eye on where this $$ goes !??


And I doubt the $$$ can be used for coach buyouts, although that would seem to qualify as being in support of improved "student-athlete welfare" in at least one situation. ;)

But, .... Exactly what should they spend this money on that MEETS THE NOTED Criteria ?? Thoughts and suggestions ?

Re: NCAA's $200M Payout, and what UM gets

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:01 am
by Tom Nolette
Creech: UMaine planning how to use cash payout from NCAA

...The money can only go towards student-athlete welfare, the school confirmed Friday. Creech said that encompasses a variety of areas, but the NCAA mandates the money be spent within 10 years, while suggesting it be used within five.

"It could be used for academic tutoring," Creech said. "It could be used for mental health counselors. It could be used for life skills counselors. Where we've got to sharpen our pencil is we've got to figure out how much of this money we want to spend over the course of the next five years in those broad categories with specific focuses."

UMaine will get the money in April, and must present a plan to the NCAA for every expenditure regarding the money. In a world where athlete compensation is not yet legal in the NCAA though, Creech sees this as a small way to pay it forward towards the students and provide new services that will benefit them. He said the school has not yet fully decided how the money will be spent as of yet, though.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/19 ... -from-ncaa