5 UM Women's Hoop Players Transferring?

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: 4 UM Women's Hoop Players Transferring?

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:25 pm

Yes, it sounds like things are beginning to unravel...a bit...
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:40 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Yes, it sounds like things are beginning to unravel...a bit...

Charles:Last spring it was the Maine men's program that lost 5 players via the transfer, it is just the women's turn this spring I guess.

Bob
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:00 pm

turkeyman wrote:Did not mean to suggest, Cim, that these kids WERE poached. In fact, I concluded that MaineJeff is correct and that these kids probably got word that Barron is not returning and decided that they did not want to stay at Maine if he were not the coach. Add PT issues for Naira, Anita and Tihana, and you have incentive to leave. A friend who went to the UVM game with me there asked how many of the freshmen Maine could retain. At the time, we were talking about issues such as PT and development. And we discussed whether the class of 2016 was a fluke in which all the offshore players stayed except one who was mustered to active duty in the Israeli Army. Two of the three Yanks on that team stayed, too, Liz Wood and Lauren Bodine. We were already asking how many of these recruits Maine could keep. And this after a game in which Julie, Blanca and Laia played well but the team defense was poor and shooting was not great and the players could not climb out of the hole they had dug for themselves in the first three quarters. It turned out to be Barron's last game on the bench.

Naira told Kevin Thomas of the PPH that she and her family were impressed that Barron went to their house to recruit her while other U.S. coaches recruited via computer. The personal contact was important.

Laia had advance knowledge from her sister's experience, coming here to play for Robert Morris (which made the NCAAs this year) but transferring to Duquesne (which did not). She seemed to want to avoid her sister's experience of being disappointed with her first choice. She has said nothing publicly that was not solidly positive. She said she had got a "good vibe" from Maine coaches. Today, Laia told the BDN, " I am thankful that I had the opportunity to come to America to play D1.” It may be reading too much into that sentence, but does that sound like someone who isn't planning to stay in the States? HAD the opportunity.

I did offer poaching as one of three possibilities that occurred to me right off the bat. And I gave a fairly high-profile example of a case that some suggested might be poaching. We all can imagine how this happens. Kid has friend who plays at another school. Kid tells friend that kid is thinking of moving on. Friend tells coach at other school. Coach finds someone on kid's campus to suggest to kid that kid call coach to ask about transferring. Coach never approached kid, which would be an NCAA violation, but kid winds up transferring to coach's school. That's one way. Must be dozens of others. It will be interesting to see where these five wind up. You cannot play basketball to pay for your education in Europe. And here you must sit out a year if you take money, even going down to D-II. (I don't see any of these freshmen as D-II players.)

These kids are no slouches. Some may not like the way they played sometimes, but they were highly rated. I believe Maine was in the top 36 or so in recruiting classes. Naira was a European five-star-rated (highest) recruit, Laia and Anita were four-star and Tihana was three-star. I believe Anita is on the Croatian national team. Not U18 but the national team. To say they are not strong players is incorrect. They were freshmen. Guess what. Sometimes, they played like freshmen.

In the class of 2016, Maine had bigs from Sweden and Germany. Neither impressed greatly as frosh. But Anna Heisse came back the next year in far better condition and started some games. Mikayla Gustaffson came back in better condition, with a developing mid-range jump shot and some jumping ability she hadn't flashed as a freshman. She was starting by the end of sophomore year. The class of 2020 was more talented and we could see the development in most of them. I thought Anita was coming along very well, but she did get pushed around by more physical players and she didn't seem to retaliate.

Gotta disagree with some posts by MJ last spring about Todd Steelman. I credit the improvements by both Anna and Mikayla to Steelman. Steelman also worked with the undersize posts, Bella Swan and Liz. I thought he did a very good job capitalizing on Bella's athleticism and on Liz's court sense and high intelligence. I attended one practice in 2015-16 and one in 16-17. In the 15-16 practice, he worked actively with the bigs, both telling and showing. In this year's practice, after Steelman had left, the vast majority of the coaching was by Barron, but it was October, and all the recruits knew Barron but probably barely knew the assistants. With strong coaching, these would have become some excellent mid-major post players. Still might, but not at Maine.

By the way, Cim, my calculations showed Anita at 14 mpg under Barron, not 15 as you quoted me, and at 16 under Vachon. Also on PT, didn't Coach Vachon tell the press after the UVM game here that Maddy got good minutes in the game because she worked so hard in practice? Didn't Coach Vachon say a player's approach to practice was very important? (Didn't Michael Jordan say you work hard in practice so you can have fun in the game?) Maybe practice effort had something to do with PT.

TAL, yeah, it's just the same 20 or so of us who post about this sort of thing. Can't speak for other posters, but my wife might tell you that an old man isn't good for much besides running his mouth. Or keyboard.

Interesting to see comments on this story on BDN and PPH sites. At least a couple of BDN posters, who betrayed no great knowledge of UMaine sports, suggested something is rotten in the state of the athletic department. One said all UMaine sports are on the downslide. Bam set that guy straight. PPH commenter trotted out that old Southern Maine saw about they didn't like the weather in wintry Orono.

If there is a bright side, it is that Blanca and Fanny and Julie have not asked to be released. And, this may resolve the issue of playing time over the next three years. More for Blanca and Fanny and Julie and whomever the coaches pull in next month, and none for Laia, Naira, Anita, Tihana and Pepe. Might we see T now at the three, able to move into a high post, where she played some this year? Or does she become an undersized four, like Liz Wood, and Blanca takes the three with Julie, Maddy and Kelly Fogarty, the lone freshman as it stands now, sharing backcourt duties? And isn't this an opening for Sierra Tapley if Tanesha has to move to front court? Sierra was offered by more than Maine and might have been offered even more if she hadn't blown an ACL at MDI. Her redshirt year may pay off.

Not a happy day, but the future is not all lost. I hope.

Bob Neal
New Sharon

Bob: Thanks for another great interesting, informative, insightful and timely post.

So called "Poaching" happened way back in 1957 when I was playing at Husson College in Bangor and after a freshmen year where I averaged 24.5 ppg and a sophomore year of averaging 29.5ppg and averaging 14 rebounds a game and 8 assists for those two seasons I was approached by a UMaine basketball fan who asked me if I was interested in transferring to UMaine to play for the Black bears. I told him I was not interested as Maine did not recruit me out of high school and the only school that did was Husson and Coach Del Merrill so loyalty is important to me so I said No I am staying at Husson.

This happens today as some schools get a fan to approach players about transferring as it is a ncaa recruiting violation if anybody directly connected to a school does the approaching....called tampering.

I am sure the 2 minute difference for Keleva 14 under Barron and 16 under Vachon was one the reasons that she is looking for greener pastures for more playing time wise as are the 4 others.

Right now with it being so late in the recruiting process and not knowing Barron's status Maine could be looking at Sutton and Brosseau sharing the point guard and off guard duties, Wadling at center, Millan at forward and possibly in coming freshmen outstanding shooter recruit Fogarty at forward with McVicar, Tapley and Johnson as possible subs, or any recruit that they can get in at this late date.

It could be that the number one reason is playing time and Barron's status second or it could be reversed and just the opposite reasons, Barron first, playing time 2nd.

Whichever it is it certainly puts the program in trouble.

It will be very difficult to recruit without having the recruits not knowing who the coach is going to be.

D-1 basketball is big money business even at UMaine. My suggestion would be to name Coach Vachon as the interim head coach for next season tomorrow if Barron's status cannot be determined tomorrow. Everyday they wait to name a head coach another day the program falls behind the other America East Conference teams.

Maine could be looking at only having 8 players as of now and have to have walk on campus tryouts to fill out their roster depending on how many recruits they can get in that will really actually help the program. Better to fill out the roster with walk ons then to fill out the roster with players that are not D-1 America East caliber scholarship players and start over again recruiting next spring with 6 scholarships available and the needed time to really recruit good D-1 prospects.

I wonder when how long the University AD and the Current Coaching staff have known about the players asking for their release to transfer before the news was released to the media?

"Time is a wasten", UMaine AD specially in the situation you find the program in right at this very moment.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Re: 5 UM Women's Hoop Players Transferring?

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:17 am

5 UMaine Women’s Basketball Players Granted Release From the Program

UMaine women’s basketball announced 5 players have been granted their wishes to transfer out of the program.

The biggest impact is Laia Sole.

The freshman was the America East 6th Player of the Year and the team’s 2nd leading scorer behind Sigi Koizar. Laia averaging about 9.5 points per game. She also made the conference all-rookie team.

The others are Anita Kelava, Naira Caceres, Isabel Hernandez Pepe and Tihanna Stojsavljevic. They will all complete the semester before leaving school.

http://wabi.tv/2017/03/23/5-umaine-wome ... e-program/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:26 am

Solé, Caceres among five leaving UMaine women's basketball program

... Talent evaluator Bret McCormick was first to indicate fellow freshman and Spain-native Naira Caceres alongside freshman forwards Anita Kelava and Tihana Stojsavljevic will also transfer out. Caceres saw just seven minutes of action in total during the America East playoffs despite logging 652 prior to that on the year, while Kelava benefitted from moving Solé to a role off the bench. From the Jan. 4 contest at Vermont to season's end, Kelava started all but one game. Meanwhile, Stojsavljevic logged 93 minutes during her freshman campaign, averaging 1.5 points per game.

The university then released a statement shortly thereafter, also confirming freshman Isabel Hernandez Pepe would be transferring.

“We would like to thank these five student-athletes for their contributions to our program over their time at the University of Maine and wish them well in their future endeavors,” associate head coach Amy Vachon said in the release.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/19 ... ll-program
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:41 am

5 UMaine women’s basketball players to transfer

... Sole, a 6-foot-2 forward from Igualada, Spain, was one of only three Black Bears to receive America East all-conference recognition as the Sixth Player of the Year and a member of the All-Rookie Team. She started 15 of 34 games and was second on the team scoring 9.4 points per game.

Sole, contacted via Twitter, said UMaine was not the right fit for her.

“I do not know what the future holds for me but I know that I wish the best for this program UMaine because they have fantastic fans that support it,” she said. “I just did not find what I was looking for but I am thankful that I had the opportunity to come to America to play D1.”

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/03/23/s ... -transfer/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:09 am

Five players to transfer from UMaine women’s basketball team
All five are international players, four of them freshmen.

...Sole also said in the earlier interview that Maine gave her “a good vibe” and that was important because her older sister, Judith, came to the U.S. to play for Robert Morris University, but later transferred to Duquesne. “I was afraid that would happen with me,” Sole said last month.

Caceres and Kelava both said a major reason they came to Maine was because of their recruiting experiences. Vachon had visited Kelava (and Stojsavljevic) in Croatia. Barron visited Caceres and Sole in Spain.

“Coach Barron was very convincing,” Caceres said. “He came to my house. That was very important.”

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/03/23/f ... ball-team/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby TAL1957 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Smart Word on the street is several are headed to VA, where there a some recent openings on the MBB team ! :o
TAL1957

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:34 pm

TAL1957 wrote:Smart Word on the street is several are headed to VA, where there a some recent openings on the MBB team ! :o

TAL1957: MBB team or do you men WBB? Or have team gone co-ed in the NCAA D-1?

Which Virginia college? Robert Morris Women's team 22-10? Who was ranked 181 in ncaa.com official end of season RPI rankings compared to UMaines 128 @ 18-16.

The Northeast Conference which RM plays in is ranked 31st compared to America East Conference ranking of 22 out if the 32 D-1 ncaa conferences by the realtimerpi.com conference RPI rankings.
bcbc55

Postby coachr » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Robert Morris College is NOT in Virginia. It is in Pennsylvania. Also, I have a hard time to believe that you sold over 300,000 copies of your book on offense. If that is true, and you make $3.33 per book (which isn't unreasonable), you would have earned 1 million dollars. Just wondering if that was a typo and maybe you meant to say 3000 books.
coachr

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics