5 UM Women's Hoop Players Transferring?

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: 4 UM Women's Hoop Players Transferring?

Postby mainejeff » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks for your input Bob! Great info and points as usual. ;)
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:42 pm

I do not believe they were "poached" as turkeyman suggested in his great post.

They just are not high level D-1 players right now, but with the correct coaching development they could be.

It is not rocket science, learn how to seal your defender, how to show where you want the ball and then signal when you want the ball and then when you get it stop and use the power layups instead of rushing those on the move floating heaves that many times were just prayers which few were answered this year.

In fact, about 2 hours of instruction would take care of this big problem and then it is just a case of repetitions.

The transferring post players have been short changed throughout their basketball careers by not having been taught these basic post player skills.
bcbc55

Postby mainesportsguru » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:35 pm

What's a power layup? :roll:
mainesportsguru

Postby fafan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:42 pm

I think I would scream if we couldn't block posters :o
fafan

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:04 pm

mainesportsguru wrote:What's a power layup? :roll:

mainesportsguru: A power layup is a shot that is taken in the power alley which is from the block to block in a straight line towards the basket.

The player receives the ball in a stop position post up position or if they receive the ball on the move they then stop before shooting the ball. If they receive the ball on the block standing still then they can dribble to get closer to the basket or take he shot from where you are.

They then jump to leave the floor.

Before shooting the player should fake with the ball or fake with his head or a combination of head - ball fakes or ball - head fake or can go immediately.

They jump as hard as they can which means they power up to the basket and release the ball as soon as they feel they are starting to come down.

When they fake and get the defender in the air and then leave the floor to shoot they will draw the old fashion 3 point play, Basket good and a foul shot.

Also if they miss the shot they are still near the basket to get the rebound of their missed power layup for an easy put back hoop because they usually will have inside position to the basket.

The power layup should be taught first after the foul shot as it is the lead in shot for the jump shot.

Hope this explains the power layup.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby mainesportsguru » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:12 pm

Thanks. That move sounds pretty old school and boring. I like the floaters better. They look so much cooler.
mainesportsguru

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:22 pm

mainesportsguru wrote:Thanks. That move sounds pretty old school and boring. I like the floaters better. They look so much cooler.

mainesportsguru: Your welcome. Yeah floaters may look good, but they don't get you too many made shots, hardly any 3 point plays and no offensive rebound position when they miss all those good 'lookin floaters" that you think are so much cooler.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Bob:

Keleva should have been playing a lot more minutes then either Barron or Vachon gave her. She is the most athletic of the bigs. She played in the 15 minutes for Barron and increased to 16 plus minutes under Vachon so she could not have been happy with her playing minutes either.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby TAL1957 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:39 pm

Speaking similarly to what probably all but about two dozen folks in the State o' Maine are thinking, most of the two dozen of whom are already talking about "this" here, this concerns what exactly ?
A WBB program at some school in Maine ? Okay, so what's going on ? Roster changes ?

P.S. - Great Pink Floyd (tribute) concert currently airing on PBR TV !!!
Last edited by TAL1957 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
TAL1957

Postby turkeyman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:27 pm

Did not mean to suggest, Cim, that these kids WERE poached. In fact, I concluded that MaineJeff is correct and that these kids probably got word that Barron is not returning and decided that they did not want to stay at Maine if he were not the coach. Add PT issues for Naira, Anita and Tihana, and you have incentive to leave. A friend who went to the UVM game with me there asked how many of the freshmen Maine could retain. At the time, we were talking about issues such as PT and development. And we discussed whether the class of 2016 was a fluke in which all the offshore players stayed except one who was mustered to active duty in the Israeli Army. Two of the three Yanks on that team stayed, too, Liz Wood and Lauren Bodine. We were already asking how many of these recruits Maine could keep. And this after a game in which Julie, Blanca and Laia played well but the team defense was poor and shooting was not great and the players could not climb out of the hole they had dug for themselves in the first three quarters. It turned out to be Barron's last game on the bench.

Naira told Kevin Thomas of the PPH that she and her family were impressed that Barron went to their house to recruit her while other U.S. coaches recruited via computer. The personal contact was important.

Laia had advance knowledge from her sister's experience, coming here to play for Robert Morris (which made the NCAAs this year) but transferring to Duquesne (which did not). She seemed to want to avoid her sister's experience of being disappointed with her first choice. She has said nothing publicly that was not solidly positive. She said she had got a "good vibe" from Maine coaches. Today, Laia told the BDN, " I am thankful that I had the opportunity to come to America to play D1.” It may be reading too much into that sentence, but does that sound like someone who isn't planning to stay in the States? HAD the opportunity.

I did offer poaching as one of three possibilities that occurred to me right off the bat. And I gave a fairly high-profile example of a case that some suggested might be poaching. We all can imagine how this happens. Kid has friend who plays at another school. Kid tells friend that kid is thinking of moving on. Friend tells coach at other school. Coach finds someone on kid's campus to suggest to kid that kid call coach to ask about transferring. Coach never approached kid, which would be an NCAA violation, but kid winds up transferring to coach's school. That's one way. Must be dozens of others. It will be interesting to see where these five wind up. You cannot play basketball to pay for your education in Europe. And here you must sit out a year if you take money, even going down to D-II. (I don't see any of these freshmen as D-II players.)

These kids are no slouches. Some may not like the way they played sometimes, but they were highly rated. I believe Maine was in the top 36 or so in recruiting classes. Naira was a European five-star-rated (highest) recruit, Laia and Anita were four-star and Tihana was three-star. I believe Anita is on the Croatian national team. Not U18 but the national team. To say they are not strong players is incorrect. They were freshmen. Guess what. Sometimes, they played like freshmen.

In the class of 2016, Maine had bigs from Sweden and Germany. Neither impressed greatly as frosh. But Anna Heisse came back the next year in far better condition and started some games. Mikayla Gustaffson came back in better condition, with a developing mid-range jump shot and some jumping ability she hadn't flashed as a freshman. She was starting by the end of sophomore year. The class of 2020 was more talented and we could see the development in most of them. I thought Anita was coming along very well, but she did get pushed around by more physical players and she didn't seem to retaliate.

Gotta disagree with some posts by MJ last spring about Todd Steelman. I credit the improvements by both Anna and Mikayla to Steelman. Steelman also worked with the undersize posts, Bella Swan and Liz. I thought he did a very good job capitalizing on Bella's athleticism and on Liz's court sense and high intelligence. I attended one practice in 2015-16 and one in 16-17. In the 15-16 practice, he worked actively with the bigs, both telling and showing. In this year's practice, after Steelman had left, the vast majority of the coaching was by Barron, but it was October, and all the recruits knew Barron but probably barely knew the assistants. With strong coaching, these would have become some excellent mid-major post players. Still might, but not at Maine.

By the way, Cim, my calculations showed Anita at 14 mpg under Barron, not 15 as you quoted me, and at 16 under Vachon. Also on PT, didn't Coach Vachon tell the press after the UVM game here that Maddy got good minutes in the game because she worked so hard in practice? Didn't Coach Vachon say a player's approach to practice was very important? (Didn't Michael Jordan say you work hard in practice so you can have fun in the game?) Maybe practice effort had something to do with PT.

TAL, yeah, it's just the same 20 or so of us who post about this sort of thing. Can't speak for other posters, but my wife might tell you that an old man isn't good for much besides running his mouth. Or keyboard.

Interesting to see comments on this story on BDN and PPH sites. At least a couple of BDN posters, who betrayed no great knowledge of UMaine sports, suggested something is rotten in the state of the athletic department. One said all UMaine sports are on the downslide. Bam set that guy straight. PPH commenter trotted out that old Southern Maine saw about they didn't like the weather in wintry Orono.

If there is a bright side, it is that Blanca and Fanny and Julie have not asked to be released. And, this may resolve the issue of playing time over the next three years. More for Blanca and Fanny and Julie and whomever the coaches pull in next month, and none for Laia, Naira, Anita, Tihana and Pepe. Might we see T now at the three, able to move into a high post, where she played some this year? Or does she become an undersized four, like Liz Wood, and Blanca takes the three with Julie, Maddy and Kelly Fogarty, the lone freshman as it stands now, sharing backcourt duties? And isn't this an opening for Sierra Tapley if Tanesha has to move to front court? Sierra was offered by more than Maine and might have been offered even more if she hadn't blown an ACL at MDI. Her redshirt year may pay off.

Not a happy day, but the future is not all lost. I hope.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
Last edited by turkeyman on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
turkeyman

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics