5 UM Women's Hoop Players Transferring?

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: 4 UM Women's Hoop Players Transferring?

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:40 pm

mainejeff wrote:
fafan wrote:Even the BDN is reporting it, UGH! Funny statement from UMaine as this is the last comment they will have on this subject :roll:
http://bangordailynews.com/2017/03/23/s ... /comments/

Yeah, I thought that was weird too. :roll: For a program that is so visible and successful...that statement seems like a total FU to everyone who has a stake in the program.

It's time to come clean on whether Barron is returning or not! I don't need to or want to know what his illness is....but I do want to know who the head coach is next season! And you can bet that it will be very difficult to fill 6 or 7 scholarships when you can't even tell recruits who their head coach will be! :oops: :oops: :oops:

The UMaine Athletic Dept. really IS bizarro world! Just when you think that you've seen or heard it all........ :? :roll: :oops: :? :roll: :oops: :evil:

mainejeff: I'm telling you, Jeff, UMaine athletic department needs you as a full-time consultant in public relations.

I don't blame the 5 international players for wanting to move on, but I think it is a big mistake as they do not have th necessary post skills to play at a higher level than UMaine unless they are guaranteed that they will be taught how to seal, how to ask for the ball, how to signal for the ball and then use the POWER LAYUP as their major offensive weapon in the POWER ALLEY (from the block to block in a straight line to the basket).

THAT IS THE POWER ALLEY FOR POWER LAYUPS...IT IS NOT THE FLOATING ALLEY FOR FLOATING SHOTS.
bcbc55

Postby parquetfloor » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:41 pm

And now you know why I was asking about Barron's health and talking about the importance of the upcoming April recruiting period. Things are definitely not always as they may appear.
parquetfloor

Postby mainejeff » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Maine's roster as of 2:45 EST on 3/23/17:

Johnson - Sr.
Sutton - RS Jr.
McVicar - Jr.
Millan - So.
Wadling - So.
Brosseau - So.
Tapley - So.

So Maine currently has 7 active players on roster and is one injury away from starting a non-scholarship player (Bob Walsh probably thinking....cry me a river ;) ).

Can't wait for Bob Neal to chime in!
mainejeff

Postby mainejeff » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:18 pm

Assistant coaches will be the next to flee the sinking ship.
mainejeff

Postby Crunch » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:24 pm

As a fan looking forward to the upcoming years, this really sucks. Instead of conjecturing, somebody needs to ask these ladies why they are leaving. Regarding transferring to a better grade conference...unless it's a major Big 5, who cares...really? When you're a basketball player of 24 years of age, do people give you kudos for having gone to Eastern State or Catholic U over over an American East school? Especially when you were a 9 point a game player at Maine. There's got to be more to it here. Playing time issues? If not getting playing time at a low D-1, where to go...a lower D-1 (where) and sit out a year? D-2? Why? Just to play two years of basketball? C'mon, these aren't dumb girls. With the exception of Hernandez-Pepe (and maybe even her) how about going professional in Europe? Play closer to home, get paid. Even in a low league, get some money, get better and move up leagues over the next 3 years. Just like you could do at Maine. That's the pitch. Bottom line - I smell agents. But, that's conjecture...I don't know but UMaine needs to find the facts.
Crunch

Postby GoBlackBears » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:28 pm

Didn't expect that to happen.
GoBlackBears

Postby thebam » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:31 pm

Crunch wrote:...I don't know but UMaine needs to find the facts.

UMaine probably has the facts... The local media should be relentless on this.. Don't take no comment for an answer.
thebam

Postby Crunch » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Good point, BAM. This will just repeat, repeat and repeat if not stopped. Interesting that the best of the frosh, Millan, is still in the fold. That in itself says something, I just don't know what.
Crunch

Postby turkeyman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:44 pm

Holy crap! What a lousy bit of news to find just as we return from the chemo center in Scarborough.

Nothing could be more surprising. Three possibilities come to mind. Something huge has happened very recently. Some of the players had difficulties with academics/climate/homesickness, etc. The team got raided by other programs.

We all saw how tight this group appeared to be, with Anita becoming an emotional cheerleader during the AE tournament. Someone very close to the program told me during the tournament that the 14 players were extremely tight. I even asked about a couple by name, both of whom are on this list, and was told they were very happy here. No problems at all with chemistry.

But if this is the result of something very big happening, then mj may well be correct that it means Barron is not returning. Perhaps Barron told the players he is not coming back, and the five decided to leave, too. Players sign an NLI with a school, but they are really coming to play for the coach(es) who recruited them. Players who were recruited by Palumbo wound up playing for Versyp. Happens all the time on the coaching carousel. When Maine has had coaching changes in the past, some holdovers left, too. Martina Tinklova chose not to play out her eligibility under Versyp. A couple of others left during her first season, and Cindy lost five players in one season. Ashley Roberts was unhappy playing for Barron until they got on the same page, and she had a very successful senior year.

Barron has been very high on this group, said he never had a more talented team with which to work. If the feeling were mutual and he then had to step down, they might well have chosen to step away.

Academics is a strong part of the wbb experience at Maine. Ten of the 14 on this year's roster were first-semester honor roll. Of the five leaving, four were honor roll (Naira, Laia, Anita, Pepe), and Anita and Pepe have 3.5 or higher averages. Of those staying, at least so far, Julie and Fanny have 3.5 or higher averages. Only Tihana and Blanca among the freshmen were not on the first-term honor roll. So, academics doesn't appear to be part of it. In fact, I remember at least one of this year's freshmen saying she was motivated by being able to get a good education and play basketball at a high level.

With exceptions, most of the Europeans who came here previously were from moderate to cold climates. Eva Moldre (Estonia), Martina (Czech Republic), Anna Heisse (Germany), Sophie Weckstrom (Finland), Mikayla Gustaffson (Sweden), Chantal Charles (UK), Milica Mitrovic (Serbia), Sigi (Austria). And so on. I remember Naira saying the warmest day here last fall, about 65 degrees, was below the average in her home town. This was a snowy if not particularly cold winter, but the kids had plenty of southern exposure with games in Florida, South Carolina, Louisiana. I doubt climate was a major factor, but when making lists of reasons to stay or go, this might be downlist somewhere.

Not sure where these kids stood on language, but the Europeans here in the past spoke very fluent colloquial English very quickly. Hell, Sigi sounds almost Midwestern in English.

Women's basketball is starting to get into some of the (bad) habits of other big-time sports. Remember Letitia Romero? Standout recruit at Kansas State in 2013-14. Asked for her release to transfer to Florida State. K-State denied the release for a long time, then finally granted it. And then the NCAA waived her sit-out year and she played for FSU in 2014-15. She was AP All-American honorable mention in 2014-15 and starts on a team that is in the Sweet 16. Some of the publicity around the controversy suggested she hated the Kansas prairie weather. (I can understand that. The coldest I have ever been was changing a flat tire at Harper, Kansas, about 45 years ago. Really, really cold when that wind comes down off the front range.)

By the way, Letitia Romero's hometown is Las Palmas in the Canary Islands. Naira Caceras's hometown is Las Palmas in the Canary Islands. Think they might know each other? Laia Sole's sister will be a senior and a starter at Duquesne next year.

None of us is in a position to say these players, any or all, were poached. But there was a lot of suggestion of that when Romero asked out at K-State. Maine once recruited a player from, I believe, Michigan, who gave an oral commitment to Maine. But as a freshman, she wound up on a D-I roster in Michigan. That sort of thing happens a lot, too. Duke has a top player who transferred in from Maryland. Diamond DeShields transferred from UNC to UT and played in Knoxville this year. I don't remember the name, but a former Dukie transferred out and is starting on, I believe, one of the 16 teams still in the NCAAs. I have heard coaches say in public that they know poaching goes on in D-I, but they don't say that when the press is around, and they don't offer examples. The Romero case is the closest to charges of poaching that I have seen.

Losing these kids is a huge blow. My best guess is that mj is dead on, and we can expect an announcement on Barron's future with the team. Until an hour ago, I would have said he will be back to coach UMaine next year. If he is not, does Maine give the job to Coach Amy, or does it go national again? Wonder if Todd Steelman might apply? Aren't two of his kids still in Orono?

So much for hibernating this summer. Guess I'll have to check in on the board from time to time. Say, about every hour.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby mainejeff » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:52 pm

Crunch wrote:Good point, BAM. This will just repeat, repeat and repeat if not stopped. Interesting that the best of the frosh, Millan, is still in the fold. That in itself says something, I just don't know what.

If going by the end of the season...I'd say that Maine held on to 2 of the best 3 with Millan & Wadling. Kelava is the killer. Sole the other big loss. Maine is going to need some front court help....BIG TIME! Johnson will gets a lot of playing time as a senior!
mainejeff

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics