basketball__guy: Thanks for the e-mails

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: basketball__guy: Thanks for the e-mails

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:59 am

Well now, lets see.

I played basketball for a Junior College where we went 23-5 - Not 1A or 1-AA
I played basketball for the JV Team at UMAINE for one semester before they dropped the program
in the middle of the Season for budget cuts....
I then transferred to Alabama.

Now UMAINE has an 18,000,000 dollar Athletic budget.
Alabama has a 200,000,000 dollar athletic budget.

Do you really think UMAINE AND ALABAMA are on the same level from an athletic standpoint?

I really don't think so. ALABAMA is definitely at the 1A level. UMAINE is still a 1-AA level in basketball,
but I would agree with you that UMAINE can play at the 1A level in football. They seem to be getting
closer every year.
basketball_guy

Postby dunbar » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:00 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Well now, lets see.

I played basketball for a Junior College where we went 23-5 - Not 1A or 1-AA
I played basketball for the JV Team at UMAINE for one semester before they dropped the program
in the middle of the Season for budget cuts....
I then transferred to Alabama.

Now UMAINE has an 18,000,000 dollar Athletic budget.
Alabama has a 200,000,000 dollar athletic budget.

Do you really think UMAINE AND ALABAMA are on the same level from an athletic standpoint?

I really don't think so. ALABAMA is definitely at the 1A level. UMAINE is still a 1-AA level in basketball,
but I would agree with you that UMAINE can play at the 1A level in football. They seem to be getting
closer every year.

That's not the point. There is no I-A or I-AA anymore, and there never was in basketball anyways. FCS football is on par or superior to non-Power 5 FBS football, and much more reasonable from a financial standpoint. Why do you think North Dakota State, Montana, and James Madison haven't moved up? Because they're smart enough to know there's no need to. You can make the same amount of money at the FCS level and win at the same time.

Besides, if you had any concept of what goes on at The University of Maine, you would no that's there's absolutely no move the University would make if it doesn't involve New Hampshire. None. They're the rival. They're the travel pair. They're the peer institution. No move will happen to Maine or New Hampshire unless both of them move together. Although, neither school is going to do it, or is appealing for another league to give them an invite.
dunbar

Postby bulldog » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:29 pm

In order for Maine football to move up to the next level of competition, there would need to be a population base available to support it. Tuscaloosa is a lot different in terms of population and what is available in terms of competition. Tuscaloosa has a population base alone of 100,000 people and Birmingham and Mobile, both with populations of over 200,000 people, are within a relatively short drive allowing a population of 500,000 in those three cities alone available to support the program...say nothing about the other people available to support. Portland has a population of 65,000 and with UNH right down the road and BC and Harvard an hour and a half away, there is competition for people. If UConn and UMass are struggling to make a go of it, UMaine would find it more difficult.
bulldog

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:56 pm

Yes, but you need to look at the Greater Metro area around Portland and that includes
Lewiston, Auburn, Portland, Gorham, Yarmouth as well as all the communities within an hour drving distance of
Portland. I know the population base in the Greater Metro Portland area within 100 mile radius is much greater than 65,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_ ... rea,_Maine

Portland had a population of 66,881 in 2015. The Greater Portland metropolitan area is home to over half a million people, more than one-third of Maine's total population.

The Portland–South Portland–Biddeford MSA is defined as consisting of Cumberland, Sagadahoc, and York counties.[2] Portland, South Portland, and Biddeford are the three largest cities in this area and are defined as principal cities of the MSA. Other cities in the MSA are:
Bath
Saco
Sanford
Westbrook

Metro Population is currently 590,600. That also does not include the metro area around Lewiston Auburn
or any of the other communities an hours drive away.

Southern Maine could support a Division 1A Football program very easily and it would do a world of good for the UMAINE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT. But there are hurdles to overcome, an upgraded Fitzpatrick stadium for starters and who would pay for those upgrades. That is what has to happen first.

Charles
basketball_guy

Postby TAL1957 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:59 pm

I .....
I ....
I then .....

I .....

Yep. Ya see the point ? Oh, of course Not.

Like Bob, and myself, Ex-players of what-evah sport, need to move on, and accept that they really weren't all that good and it don't really matter anyway. Go Fish of the Pier. :o
TAL1957

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:37 pm

TAL1957 wrote:

I .....
I ....
I then .....

I .....

Yep. Ya see the point ? Oh, of course Not.

Like Bob, and myself, Ex-players of what-evah sport, need to move on, and accept that they really weren't all that good and it don't really matter anyway. Go Fish of the Pier. :o

TAL1957: What sport? When and where? Please.
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:44 pm

I miss the Bob Walsh thread.
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:46 pm

mainejeff wrote:I miss the Bob Walsh thread.

mj: Do you think he does too???????????????????????????????
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:58 pm

Any publicity is good publicity...well almost.
mainejeff

Postby TAL1957 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:03 pm

bcbc55 wrote: .. TAL1957: What sport? When and where? Please.

Well at least ya said "Plz".
Bob - It Don't Matter !!
We/You/I/Charles/Etc. were Never that Good !! Stop trying to convince ya self that ya were !!
Sub-D1 at Best, Barely D3 in your case and Chucky - Kapeish ???
TAL1957

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics