Will UMAINE move up to 1A Football anytime soon

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Will UMAINE move up to 1A Football anytime soon

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:23 pm

Insults, that is all you people seem to be about.

The metro area can support it with a decent stadium and the marketing to go with it. As far as why
they won't drive to Orono 200 miles away. Well, I think you answered your own question, simply because
it is 200 miles a way and not very many people are going to drive 200 miles for a football game.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/articl ... /161219773

It is much easier as Coach Bryant found out to move 100 football players to Birmingham 75 miles away than it is
to expect people to drive 75 miles to Tuscaloosa.

I do agree with Bulldog about UNH however. I don't think Maine will make a move until UNH does and UNH has a much bigger problem than Maine does.

As far as UNCONN AND UMASS not doing well in FBS. Lets talk about that 10 years from now when we are all Senior Citizens.

UMASS, UNCONN, UNH, Rhode Island were all big rivals of UMAINE. I don't see that changing. At some point they are going to make the move and they will play some of their home games down around Portland. Orono just does not work for 1A football. It does work for lesser opponents from 1-AA. I see UMAINE at the 1A level in 5 years. I also see them splitting their games between Orono and Portland. I see them playing 1-AA opponents in Orono and 1A opponents in Portland.

And what will be driving all this? Economics. UMAINE can simply not continue without expanding their fanbase for football. Football is the economic generator for College Sports today. Maine's AD knows this why do you think UMAINE brought him up here in the first place. He was brought up here to help stablize the football program
and raise the necessary Capital for expansion. The question is whether he will expand Morse Field or do the smart thing and raise money to expand Fitzpatrick Stadium and I believe he is going to do the latter and expand
Fitzpatrick while still continuing to raise money for fundraising. Just wait and see if this happens.
I believe that is the mandate he has been given.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/01/02/s ... athletics/

Since 2012, Creech was UNC’s senior associate AD, serving as chief of staff and overseeing the department’s capital projects, human resources and facilities. From 2004 to 2012, he was associate executive director for UNC’s Educational Foundation Inc., where he managed capital projects, including coordination of the $88 million football stadium expansion.

I believe a 1A school can still schedule two 1-AA opponents and still remain in 1A.
The problem is going to be league affiliation. Should UMAINE decide to move up at some point, they would need to bring in UMASS, UCONN with them into a new league. Rhode Island will not make the move up. UNH is a question mark? Boston College will never leave the ACC. Perhaps an expanded Atlantic 10 affiliation or perhaps the CAA expands up to 1A.
basketball_guy

Postby Chad Ford » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:16 pm

UMaine can't afford it.
No stadium in place to use.
Portland fans won't support it.
What conference would want Maine?

Total non starter.
Chad Ford

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Creech was not brought in as UMAINE AD to stand pat....

He was brought in here to expand the sports marketplace and that includes expansion. He has the background
and experience to do it.

He was hired to expand the Athletic budget and that does include expansion....

But we shall see.
basketball_guy

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Alerus Center, Grand Forks. North Dakota Indoor Arena seats 41000 full house

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alerus_Center

If the State of Maine built such an arena similar to this it would bring in additional tax revenues for years to come
as well as create some much needed construction jobs, alleviate UMO and USM athletic budgets to quite an extent
and bring in much needed conventions to the State of Maine that would generate addtional hotel and motel revenues
and addtional revenue for the State. A lot of people and corporations would love to have major conventions in Maine.
And since the Number one revenue producer for the State is tourism it all falls into place.

Alerus Center.png

Alerus Center is an indoor arena and convention center located in Grand Forks, North Dakota. The facility is owned and operated by the city of Grand Forks and opened on February 10, 2001. The arena's major tenant is the University of North Dakota football team. The arena also plays host to many large concerts, sporting events, and trade shows. It can seat more than 41,000 people at one time. The convention center section of the facility includes a 26,000-square-foot (2,400 m2) ballroom and 12 meeting rooms. The convention center is used for conferences, seminars, banquets, parties, and smaller concerts. Directly adjacent to the Alerus Center is a large hotel and waterpark complex called the Canad Inns Destination Center.
Alerus Center is named after a local financial institution, Alerus Financial, which purchased the building's naming rights. Prior to opening, the facility had been referred to as the Aurora Events Center.

Former names Aurora Events Center (pre-construction)
Location 1200 S 42nd St.
Grand Forks, ND 58201-3733
Coordinates 47°54′58″N 97°5′27″WCoordinates: 47°54′58″N 97°5′27″W
Owner City of Grand Forks
Operator City of Grand Forks
Capacity Concerts (full-house set): 41,000
Concerts (half-house set): 11,000
Theater: 4,600
Football: 42,283[1]
Basketball: 9,500
Field size Overall square footage: 447,000
Ballroom square footage: 26,000
Arena floor dimensions:
415' north to south
240' east to west
Surface Multi-surface
Construction
Broke ground July 15, 1998[2]
Opened February 10, 2001
Construction cost $80 million
($107 million in 2016 dollars[3])
Architect Ellerbe Becket
JLG Architects
Schoen & Associates
Structural engineer Simpson Gumpertz & Heger, Inc.[4]
Services engineer Obermiller Nelson Engineering, Inc.[5]
General contractor Mortenson Construction[6]
basketball_guy

Postby dunbar » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:04 pm

Dude, you literally changed those capacity numbers at North Dakota and expected us to believe you. That's totally fraudulent. UND can hold 12K+ for football and 21K for a full floor event.

Creech has said on record that our future is to compete and succeed at the FCS level. I've met him. He's a man of reason and a hell of a lot smarter than the rest of us.

Your lack of knowledge about The University of Maine is extremely apparent.
dunbar

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:21 pm

dunbar wrote:Dude, you literally changed those capacity numbers at North Dakota and expected us to believe you. That's totally fraudulent. UND can hold 12K+ for football and 21K for a full floor event.

Creech has said on record that our future is to compete and succeed at the FCS level. I've met him. He's a man of reason and a hell of a lot smarter than the rest of us.

dunbar; How about answering my question on the high school classification boys thread? Divide 4 classes evenly in the north and south. Are you ignoring my post that Jake started on the Boys High School thread about classification that I asked you last night?

You have already divided them up evenly North and South and in to 5 classes, so all you have got to do is divide the 4 classes up evenly.

If you do this for me I will add you to the non-partisan committee and that will then number 2 members, you and me.

CIM
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:52 pm

Yes, Mr. Dunbar you are correct

http://carrierdome.com

I was thinking of the Carrier Dome in Syracuse. It can house 49,000 plus football fans.

But I did not put that up there just because UMAINE has a football team. If such a facility
were to be built in the Southern Part of the State it could also house Major Indoor Business
Conventions thru out the entire year. It would be a multiuse facility for conventions, trade shows
major athletic events and the list goes on.

I just don't know how it would fit with the Cumberland County Civic Center.

I am sure Creech wants to see UMAINE succeed at the FCS level, and I am looking at football
specifically because his choice for Basketball Coach is very questionable at this point and if he
is so smart then how did that happen? He made a mistake and he is entitled to make mistakes
but his Mens basketball choice has got to be questioned at this point. I look at Maine three years
ago when they chose Bob Walsh and I look at Alabama when they chose Avery Johnson. Johnson
has been to the NIT twice already and he has the 4th rated recruiting class for 1A basketball next year.
What has Maine got. 17-74 Won loss record at this point and Mr. Creech came from North Carolina.
I see Creech as someone who could get a major expansion project moving forward should the decision
be made. His choice of a Womens Basketball Coach was excellent as well. But his overall record needs
to be examined. I don't question he was the right choice for AD but I see it more for football than any of
the other sports.

basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:33 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Yes, Mr. Dunbar you are correct

I was thinking of the Carrier Dome in Syracuse. It can house 49,000 plus football fans.

But I did not put that up there just because UMAINE has a football team. If such a facility
were to be built in the Southern Part of the State it could also house Major Indoor Business
Conventions thru out the entire year. It would be a multiuse facility for conventions, trade shows
major athletic events and the list goes on.

I just don't know how it would fit with the Cumberland County Civic Center.

I am sure Creech wants to see UMAINE succeed at the FCS level, and I am looking at football
specifically because his choice for Basketball Coach is very questionable at this point and if he
is so smart then how did that happen? He made a mistake and he is entitled to make mistakes
but his Mens basketball choice has got to be questioned at this point. I look at Maine three years
ago when they chose Bob Walsh and I look at Alabama when they chose Avery Johnson. Johnson
has been to the NIT twice already and he has the 4th rated recruiting class for 1A basketball next year.
What has Maine got. 17-74 Won loss record at this point and Mr. Creech came from North Carolina.
I see Creech as someone who could get a major expansion project moving forward should the decision
be made. His choice of a Womens Basketball Coach was excellent as well. But his overall record needs
to be examined. I don't question he was the right choice for AD but I see it more for football than any of
the other sports.

Charles: Because of Maine's location and low administration salaries they hardly ever hire an administrator who has had that exact experience for the job. It is usually an assistant who has never done the job that he/she is hired for. D-3 coach for D-1 coaching job, an assistant AD for the AD position and so on. Creech probably had no exact hiring experience and this having a committee to help the AD hire a basketball coach is baloney, The AD should be able to do that. But if you don't have experience and you also had a committee how did this situation happen at Maine.

How many former Maine hoop players were on that committee??????????????????????????????????????????????????

When I was an AD for 16 years at two different schools one a very large Maine high school at Bangor (1200 students) for 5 years and at a small private school (400 plus students class B), John Bapst in Bangor (also head basketball coach) I hired the coaches and when I hired I expected my bosses to hire my recommendation unless they knew something about the person I was going to hire that I didn't know about. That never happened and I also believe you should look inside first and if I had one I knew could do the job I hired from within and that is exactly what Creech should have done especially in the situation he found himself in as just being hired and having to hire a men's basketball coach so late in the school year. If he was really as smart as you say he is he should have hired Doug Liechner (9 year associate head coach at UMaine) as an interim coach instead of hiring D-3 coach. If Doug didn't do the job as interim then Creech could have started the hiring process early te net spring after the basketball season ended and then have time to not have to rush and make such a late hire as he did in hiring Walsh....not Walsh's fault he got hired it was the people at UMaine who had the final say in not hiring Leichner as an interim coach as it was apparent that the powers-to-be at UMaine and the other outside bigwigs didn't want anything to do with anyone associated with Woodward regime. So this decision forced Creech's hand, at least I hope that is what happened and that Creech just didn't by pass Doug on his own. Doug deserved a shot as an interim especially when the situation was what it was late, late, late, late and look what happened with that late hire so far.

And if he was going to hire like he did he should have hired the D-2 coach at Stonehill who went to Northeastern as an assistant and is now the head coach at Dartmouth.

But that is just my opinion. Just because you come for a basketball school and state like North Carolina doesn't mean much when you are going to be the AD at the University of Maine especially in hiring a basketball coach.

After all didn't Creech hire an assistant football coach that coached at Maine under Cosgrove and didn't he just hire a Maine baseball assistant coach as an interim baseball coach?

Must have learned from his first big boo boo and realized that many times you have people right on staff that deserve a chance and that loyalty goes a long way sometimes especially if your back is against the wall and you are brand new to the situation in hiring a basketball coach.

Also, Creech did not hire the women's coach he was hired before Creech got to Maine. He did however moved up the associate hea coach to fill in for the head coach who had to take a medical leave the first of January, but that was a no-brainer. IF Barron should not return then who should he hire and not even think about going outside so long as the associate head coach wants the job.

Bob.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:28 pm

Postby dunbar » 19 Mar 2017 00:04

Dude, you literally changed those capacity numbers at North Dakota and expected us to believe you. That's totally fraudulent. UND can hold 12K+ for football and 21K for a full floor event.

Mr. Dunbar made a good point about the Indoor arena at North Dakota. I was trying to make a point and put in the wrong info. I was trying to show the need for a new stadium and did not put the link in for the Carrier Dome.

But his comment about my lack of knowledge about the University of Maine sports is really laughable. If Mr. Dunbar only knew the truth....but everyone is entitled to their opinion here.

Selling the idea of Southern Maine as the logical location for Division 1 football here seems to be a very tough sell. I don't know why because it is a logical choice because of the fanbase and the Greater Metro Portland area
has over 590,000 people who could support such a move. People in Maine are more conservative when it comes to spending money. My grandfather was one of the biggest tightwads I ever knew, but there is a major difference between being a Maine tightwad and making a long term investment for the State of Maine and the University of Maine Sports.

That is what it really all boils down to. I suspect the AD, Mr. Creech is running into this as well.

Perhaps it is that even though I am a Native Mainer I live in California and I get too much sunshine.....

Who knows?
basketball_guy

Postby thebam » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:55 am

basketball_guy wrote:Look at the facts...Maine came very close to beating a pretty good UNCONN team. I admit the idea is a bit out there right now but give it time. Don't rule it out.

If UMAINE could make the move and also get some financing with USM, USM could go Division 2 and UMAINE could split their home games.
USM doesn't have football
I have to believe if UMAINE marketed this right fitzpatrick could work for both UMAINE and USM. USM would love it
but there would have to be some forward thinking people at the State level to make this work.

But fitzpatrick would have to be expanded to accomidate 17,500 fans at the 1A level. Also, the locker room situation would have to be rectifiield but fitzpatrick with an expanded stadium could also be used for State Football Championships. I believe it already is being used for the Lobster Bowl if I am not mistaken.

Basketball_guy

They already use Fitzy for State Championships and the Lobster Bowl is played in Biddeford. Your level of ignorance in all matters Maine is becoming alarmingly high.
thebam

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics