Will UMAINE move up to 1A Football anytime soon

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Will UMAINE move up to 1A Football anytime soon

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:44 pm

Why argue at all. I think we should start a petition and get people from all over the
State to sign on....

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... 2508318363
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:54 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Why argue at all. I think we should start a petition and get people from all over the
State to sign on....

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... 2508318363

Charles: Great idea for a petition and then a statewide vote by fans. Thanks again for those interesting e-mails, even if some didn't like how I thanked you here on MBR.

BOB
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:43 pm

1he 1979 Iron Bowl - Alabama vs Auburn

The Bear Bryant Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8INKZVYOXqE
basketball_guy

Postby bulldog » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:32 pm

In order for Maine football to move up to the next level of competition, there would need to be a population base available to support it. Tuscaloosa is a lot different in terms of population and what is available in terms of competition. Tuscaloosa has a population base alone of 100,000 people and Birmingham and Mobile, both with populations of over 200,000 people, are within a relatively short drive allowing a population of 500,000 in those three cities alone available to support the program...say nothing about the other people available to support. Portland has a population of 65,000 and with UNH right down the road and BC and Harvard an hour and a half away, there is competition for people. If UConn and UMass are struggling to make a go of it, UMaine would find it more difficult.
bulldog

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:47 pm

Yes, but you need to look at the Greater Metro area around Portland and that includes
Lewiston, Auburn, Portland, Gorham, Yarmouth as well as all the communities within an hour drving distance of
Portland. I know the population base in the Greater Metro Portland area within 100 mile radius is much greater than 65,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_ ... rea,_Maine

Portland had a population of 66,881 in 2015. The Greater Portland metropolitan area is home to over half a million people, more than one-third of Maine's total population.

The Portland–South Portland–Biddeford MSA is defined as consisting of Cumberland, Sagadahoc, and York counties.[2] Portland, South Portland, and Biddeford are the three largest cities in this area and are defined as principal cities of the MSA. Other cities in the MSA are:
Bath
Saco
Sanford
Westbrook

Metro Population is currently 590,600. That also does not include the metro area around Lewiston Auburn
or any of the other communities an hours drive away.

Southern Maine could support a Division 1A Football program very easily and it would do a world of good for the UMAINE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT. But there are hurdles to overcome, an upgraded Fitzpatrick stadium for starters and who would pay for those upgrades. That is what has to happen first.

Charles
basketball_guy

Postby TAL1957 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:56 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Why argue at all. I think ....
Maybe not ? Post something like this, and ...= :lol: ?
TAL1957

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:19 pm

As usual nothing better to do than make a personal attack

because you have nothing OF ANY SUBSTANCE TO ADD TO THE DISCUSSION except inuendo...

You are a lost cause.

Do me a favor and just move on.... :lol:You are nothing but a joke anyway,
basketball_guy

Postby thebam » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:26 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Yes, but you need to look at the Greater Metro area around Portland and that includes
Lewiston, Auburn, Portland, Gorham, Yarmouth as well as all the communities within an hour drving distance of
Portland. I know the population base in the Greater Metro Portland area within 100 mile radius is much greater than 65,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_ ... rea,_Maine

Portland had a population of 66,881 in 2015. The Greater Portland metropolitan area is home to over half a million people, more than one-third of Maine's total population.

The Portland–South Portland–Biddeford MSA is defined as consisting of Cumberland, Sagadahoc, and York counties.[2] Portland, South Portland, and Biddeford are the three largest cities in this area and are defined as principal cities of the MSA. Other cities in the MSA are:
Bath
Saco
Sanford
Westbrook

Metro Population is currently 590,600. That also does not include the metro area around Lewiston Auburn
or any of the other communities an hours drive away.

Southern Maine could support a Division 1A Football program very easily and it would do a world of good for the UMAINE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT. But there are hurdles to overcome, an upgraded Fitzpatrick stadium for starters and who would pay for those upgrades. That is what has to happen first.

Charles

then why in hell don't they drive to Orono to support the team?????? YOu are fighting a losing battle. Cumberland and York county don't give a rats a$$ about Umaine sports. Zero. They had their chance to prove me wrong with an America East basketball tournament in their back yard. They didn't show up. You spout off about these hundreds of thousands of people. They aren't supporting the team now. What could possibly make you think they would support them in the future? Are all the lame excuses they use now just suddenly going to disappear? Are they going to move football season to a warmer season? Are they going to move hunting season to a different time of year? I really struggle to understand how you can possibly even consider this a good idea, well.. it's a good idea, but it is a damn pipe dream. It's not feasible , it's not possible, and it's not going to happen ever. Why do you continue to beat the drum?
thebam

Postby mainejeff » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:42 pm

I wouldn't get too riled up. This guy is another plant by Tom to increase traffic on the board. The longterm
effect may be the exact opposite. :|
mainejeff

Postby TAL1957 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:16 pm

mainejeff wrote:I wouldn't get too riled up. This guy is another plant by Tom to increase traffic on the board. The long term effect may be the exact opposite. :|
Winnah, Winnah .... I owe ya a Chikin' Dinah !!!
But I don't think it's something intentional by Tom, just another lonely, insecure Sr. Citizen who stumbled upon MBR and is lookin for validation (Uh-Oh !!).

BUT .... UMaine is Nevah Gonna move up to FBS, but maybe FBS moves down to .... ???? Okay, never mind.
TAL1957

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics