Will UMAINE move up to 1A Football anytime soon

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Will UMAINE move up to 1A Football anytime soon

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:51 am

Postby thebam » 17 Mar 2017 14:37

Is that the same UMaine fan base that didn't draw as many fans for a basketball TOURNAMENT game as they do for a regular season game in Bangor? There is no scenario.. none.. where Maine football would, or should make the jump to FBS ( 1A) . UMass tried it in the shadows of Boston.. epic fail and now they are dropping back down. This is simply nonsensical, and invoking a perceived fan base in southern Maine is laughable. They love Maine so much that they won't make a 2 hour drive to see them play, or turn out for a tournament game in their own back yard. Stop it.

What article do you have that says UMASS is dropping back down. There is no such article.

http://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/i ... _umas.html

YOU JUST MADE THAT UP....UMAINE WILL MAKE THE TRANSITION AT SOME POINT. THEY WILL HAVE TO BECAUSE THEIR OLD RIVALS LIKE UMASS, CONNECICUTT AND BOSTON COLLEGE HAVE ALREADY DONE SO. THEY WILL HAVE TO BECAUSE OF RECRUITING... WHEN I CAN NOT SAY BUT IT WILL HAPPEN AT SOME POINT.
basketball_guy

Postby dunbar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:17 am

Football attendance was up dramatically this year with an average 6-5 team. The tailgating scene in Orono has become great (and can be better, Bam, don't worry). If there's anything to be taken back from this year, is that the fan base in Portland isn't what people thought it would be (see hockey and WBB at the ex-CCCC). It's a great collegiate environment, and there's nothing better than a beautiful fall day in Orono.

And yes, Massachusetts and Connecticut moved to FBS, and aren't achieving any real success. UMass moved games back to Amherst, UConn made up a trophy game with UCF only to lose it and have it left on their field. Boston College never was at the I-A/FCS level.

There's a reason James Madison hasn't moved up, there's no incentive to do so. They can win and make money in the CAA and FCS. I rather be a good FCS school than a mediocre FBS school simply because one thing brings people (both fans and recruits) in: wins.
dunbar

Postby thebam » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:33 am

YOU JUST MADE THAT UP....
No.. I actually follow football and can connect dots. New Mexico St. and Idaho both sucked at the FBS level and their conference kicked them out.. where are they now? Heading back to FCS. UMass football.. sucks at the FBS level just like those 2 schools and their conference kicked them out.. can you do math? just a matter of time. A crappy FBS football team without a conference is doomed.
I can't tell if you are just trying to wind people up, or if you are taking advantage of the new law in Maine making marijuana legal.. either way, you are making no sense and you , nor I will live long enough to see UMaine football as a member of any FBS conference. Take that to the pay window.
thebam

Postby mainejeff » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:35 am

Are we really arguing with a guy that wants UM to move up to FBS football and help pay to expand Fitzpatrick Stadium???

:lol: :roll: :lol: :oops: :lol:
mainejeff

Postby fafan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:22 am

mainejeff wrote:Are we really arguing with a guy that wants UM to move up to FBS football and help pay to expand Fitzpatrick Stadium???

:lol: :roll: :lol: :oops: :lol:

Well if nothing else this topic got us talking about football again which is excellent. :D
This topic is ludicrous about Maine going 1A, but what about playing one game at the Fitzy like we used to?
Think we would need to increase seating there to try to accommodate say 8K or so?
Of course big drawback is no tailgating anywhere in Portland, would be great business for the bars though. ;)
Has there been a game there since 02 against CCSU???
One game that doesn't bring any visitors to Orono is UNH, why not think about playing that at the Fitzy? Just throwing it out there, Durham might bring some fans to Portland :lol: :lol: :lol:
fafan

Postby fafan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:26 pm

Too ironic, just looked at website for info on Spring schedule and Blue & White game but saw nothing.
Then got this e-mail-
Can't wait till 5/6/17

Here is the link- http://umaine.sidearmsports.com/news/20 ... tice+dates

University of Maine Media Relations | 5747 Memorial Gymnasium

Maine Football announces spring practice dates
3/17/2017 | Football
Head coach Joe Harasymiak and the University of Maine football team has announced its spring practice schedule. Highlights the schedule are four scrimmage dates: April 15; April 22; April 29 and the annual Jeff Cole Memorial Spring Game on May 6.
fafan

Postby TAL1957 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:40 pm

fafan wrote:
mainejeff wrote: Are we really arguing with a guy that wants UM to move up to FBS football and help pay to expand Fitzpatrick Stadium??? :lol: :roll: :lol: :oops: :lol:

Well if nothing else ..... This topic is ludicrous about Maine going 1A, ...
This !!
For folks that are curious about this "thread" (troll) line, this concise paste-up may help. :roll: :roll:
TAL1957

Postby bainsey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:10 pm

fafan wrote: One game that doesn't bring any visitors to Orono is UNH, why not think about playing that at the Fitzy? Just throwing it out there, Durham might bring some fans to Portland :lol: :lol: :lol:

No way. If we have to travel down to their house (and we do), they have to travel up to ours. If they don't come, that's on them.

Looks like we have to go down on a Thursday night, this year. I'm game for it.
bainsey

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:25 pm

Look at the facts...Maine came very close to beating a pretty good UNCONN team. I admit the idea is a bit out there right now but give it time. Don't rule it out.

If UMAINE could make the move and also get some financing with USM, USM could go Division 2 and UMAINE could split their home games.

I have to believe if UMAINE marketed this right fitzpatrick could work for both UMAINE and USM. USM would love it
but there would have to be some forward thinking people at the State level to make this work.

But fitzpatrick would have to be expanded to accomidate 17,500 fans at the 1A level. Also, the locker room situation would have to be rectifiield but fitzpatrick with an expanded stadium could also be used for State Football Championships. I believe it already is being used for the Lobster Bowl if I am not mistaken.

Basketball_guy
basketball_guy

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:30 pm

I want all of you to read this article if you get a chance to review it.

http://college.holycross.edu/RePEc/spe/ ... otball.pdf
basketball_guy

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics