Will UMAINE move up to 1A Football anytime soon

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Will UMAINE move up to 1A Football anytime soon

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:10 pm

I would love to see a Domed Stadium at UMAINE in Orono....but one third of Maines population is in the Southern part of the State.

I mean you have over 590,000 people living in the 3 counties that constitute the Portland Metro market. You say 100,000 people are around Orono now. Well why aren't they able to sell out Alfond Stadium then. Admittedly it is a great stadium but no one is going to drive 137 miles from Portland to Orono except the most die hard Maine supporters and whether you have a domed stadium up there is not going to make a big difference. You have seen
attendance figures up there. They could not even get 10,000 fans up there for a playoff game in November.

Who bussed their football players to a bigger stadium. Well, guess who, Paul "Bear" Bryant did this all the time back in 70's and 80's up to Legion Field in Birmingham because he had 100,000 seat capacity and he knew he could sell that out and bring in more revenue for the Alabama athletic department and that is exactly what he did for over 20 years.

UMASS is also doing it. Perhaps the reason it is not working so well is they have only been doing this two years.
Given time even UMASS may make headway. Good things take time to develop.

The Infrastructure is already in place in Portland, the train, the airlines, the bus service...and plenty of after game venues in downtown Portland....
basketball_guy

Postby dunbar » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:58 pm

basketball_guy wrote:UMASS is also doing it. Perhaps the reason it is not working so well is they have only been doing this two years.
Given time even UMASS may make headway. Good things take time to develop.

Five years. It failed, and they're going back to Amherst.
dunbar

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:03 pm

Say, can you guys view this youtube video of Coach Saban. This is from a news conference yesterday and
he is really upset about the fact that High School Football Coaches are not allowed to come to any more summer
football camps, because apparently the NCAA just created some rule about it.

I don't follow the NCAA but I am just wondering what is he all upset about?

Coach Sabans latest rant....

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/201 ... river_home
basketball_guy

Postby thebam » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:41 am

basketball_guy wrote:
Who bussed their football players to a bigger stadium. Well, guess who, Paul "Bear" Bryant did this all the time back in 70's and 80's up to Legion Field in Birmingham because he had 100,000 seat capacity and he knew he could sell that out and bring in more revenue for the Alabama athletic department and that is exactly what he did for over 20 years.

First... This isn't the 70's so you didn't answer my question.. and Second.. Tuscaloosa to Birmingham is barely 60 miles.. So , maybe if Maine built a dome in Waterville for their home games.. you'd have an argument.
thebam

Postby TAL1957 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Man O' Man, ... What a DEAD HORSE discussion !!
Course that's a vast improvement from the original post that started this I guess ???

Can we just move on to getting an NHL team into Portland !!! I hear the Devils are lookin to relocate, and Portland, ME is one of the top prospects, especially if the Raiders move there instead of Vegas !?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:o :o :o

Keep posting on this, it sure helps to prove what Mama Gump said ..... i.e., ya just can't fix st---d !
And st---d is as st---d (keeps) Does !! Amen Mama G. !!!
Jus sayin' folks. Let's keep discussin' such a worthwhile "idea" ?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
:o :o :o :o :o

Wow, there really are some troubled Old Guys out there, with low oxygen in the tank ! ???
TAL1957

Postby thebam » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:16 pm

I hear ya Tim, but refuting this nonsense is such low hanging fruit.. I can't help myself sometimes. 8-)
thebam

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:57 pm

A couple of losers...........
basketball_guy

Postby jake » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:26 pm

Why the discussion? Maine will never move up.
jake

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:54 pm

Oh they will at some point,,,but just not with these two...
basketball_guy

Postby mainejeff » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:25 pm

Enough with the Nollette plants trying to drum up site hits...... :roll:
mainejeff

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics