Will UMAINE move up to 1A Football anytime soon

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Will UMAINE move up to 1A Football anytime soon

Postby thebam » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:37 am

basketball_guy wrote: People in Maine would probably go to a football game in Portland
if we had a small domed stadium. That would mean more ticket sales and more revenue for
the UMAINE athletic department at least to an extent more than they have now.

The same would be true if they built it in Orono as well, guaranteed.
thebam

Postby thebam » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:39 am

basketball_guy wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8INKZVYOXqE

The Coach Bear Bryant Show and his Golden Flake/Coke

I think football could take off in the State of Maine if they had the money to invest in an expanded Fitzpatrick
or Domed Stadium.

But there are too many naysayers on this board.

Maybe you're right Maine will be no better than an FCS division football program but I seriously doubt that they
can stay that way forever, especially with all their former rivals moving up.

Other than UConn, which former " rivals" are moving up? Well, UConn already moved up.. so who is next ? Please explain this line. Maine has 1 true rival in football. New Hampshire. They ain't going anywhere.
thebam

Postby thedude » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:21 am

The more rivals that move up, the better off we are.

-the dude
thedude

Postby mainejeff » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:49 am

thebam wrote:
basketball_guy wrote: People in Maine would probably go to a football game in Portland
if we had a small domed stadium. That would mean more ticket sales and more revenue for
the UMAINE athletic department at least to an extent more than they have now.

The same would be true if they built it in Orono as well, guaranteed.

Agreed. I think that a dome in Orono would become the new "Maine Hockey". They could do night games throughout the season which means no interfering with hunting season or high school football. As long as Maine was decent I could definitely see them averaging 10K +.
mainejeff

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:27 am

I don't see a domed stadium up in Orono. If fans are not willing to drive 137 miles to Orono to see UMAINE football now what makes you think they would be willing to drive 137 miles with a DOMED stadium. I would admit from personal experience that being on Campus for a football game or a basketball game in my case was a great thing.
I did enjoy my short stint in Orono.

It is much easier to bus 90 football players down to Portland for a domed stadium where you know there will be enough fans to fill out a domed stadium (even one with 25000 fans) than it is to try and market people from the Portland area to drive 137 miles to Orono for a football game.

Besides the stats indicated that there is a population base of 590,000 in the Greater Portland area. That is more than enough people to go to a football game even at the FCS level.

And you have a large student fanbase in Bowdoin College, Bates and University of New England, not to mention those poor starving fans at USM with no football program.

There is nothing stopping UMAINE from splitting their 6 home games between Orono and Portland. This post is not to encourage USM to have a Division 3 football program either. It would just be easier for UMAINE and USM to split the expense of an indoor domed stadium in the Portland area.

Senator Mitchell is not the only one I have discussed this with.

State Senator Amy Volk sent me a very nice message pertaining to this matter. I had about 45 Senators and
Representatives get back to me on this proposal at the State House. Miss Volk was just one of many but not
enough to get a bill thru but the support is certainly there if we push the idea.

It may seem self-serving but the absolute best location for such a complex is available right in Scarborough at Scarborough Downs. The Downs is currently up for sale and boasts several hundred acres of property near the turnpike and I-95. It is just 15 minutes from downtown Portland without the hassle of parking. It is less than 10 minutes from the Maine Mall and 25 minutes from Freeport.

Please pardon any typos or strange spelling. This email may have been composed using mobile dictation.

Amy Volk
Maine State Senator
District 30-Buxton, Gorham & Scarborough
www.AmyforME.com
207-229-5091
Please Note: Contents of this email could be subject to Maine's Freedom of Access Act and therefore made available to the public upon request.
basketball_guy

Postby mainejeff » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:39 am

Scarborough Downs will be used for housing and commercial development.
mainejeff

Postby thebam » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:56 am

Within a 40 mile radius of Orono ( about the same distance from Lewiston to Portland) , there is a population base of approximately 100,000. So, don't try and convince anyone that a 12-15000 seat Dome on campus , in Orono would not be viable and a money maker. UMaine wouldn't have to rely on the tee shirt fans driving from the Portland area. It would be a boon to recruiting, which obviously would make the team even better and with a winning team and a dome and a Saturday night, Orono would be THE place to be for football. Much like Jeff said.. just like Hockey used to be in the 90s.
Furthermore, please tell us 1 team in this entire country that busses their football team 150 miles to play home games. I'll wait.......
thebam

Postby yorkcountyUNHfan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:19 pm

UMass moving games off campus has almost killed their program...ask them if how the FBS move is working out.
yorkcountyUNHfan

Postby thebam » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:35 pm

yorkcountyUNHfan wrote:UMass moving games off campus has almost killed their program...ask them if how the FBS move is working out.

Yes.. but Portland has a more rabid football fan base than Boston. :oops: hahahahahahaha
thebam

Postby TAL1957 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:46 pm

thebam wrote:
yorkcountyUNHfan wrote:UMass moving games off campus has almost killed their program...ask them if how the FBS move is working out.

Yes.. but Portland has a more rabid football fan base than Boston. :oops: hahahahahahaha
Jeeez Guys, ... don't get in the way of BB-Guy fantasy world with your reality. This kinda stuff slows down his Troll work !! But just wait ...... here it comes ..... here it comes .... ????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TAL1957

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics