Will UMAINE move up to 1A Football anytime soon

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Will UMAINE move up to 1A Football anytime soon

Postby mainejeff » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:16 am

dunbar wrote:There is no Division I-A in football, or any sport for that matter.

There is in their minds.... :roll:
mainejeff

Postby thebam » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:38 am

If my memory serves me correctly.. to make the jump up to what used to be 1A from 1AA, you need to average 10,000 fans per game, minimum. So having said that.. let's stop this nonsense right now.
thebam

Postby thebam » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:08 am

basketball_guy wrote:No one probably wants to hear about the University of North Alabama, except that
are about to start the transition to 1A football down in Florence, Alabama. Now that
may not mean much to UMAINE alumni but the truth of the matter is they are a smaller school
student population wise than UMAINE and yet they are making the transition.

Just an interesting article about what a school has to go thru when it starts the transition to
1A football. It takes four years...

http://www.trussvilletribune.com/2016/1 ... ivision-i/

OK. North Alabama isn't transitioning to 1A , or the division that used to be 1A. They are climbing from Division II to FCS, what used to be 1AA. Huge difference. Maine is already there and will remain there, for eternity.
thebam

Postby parquetfloor » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:44 am

All I can do is LOL.
parquetfloor

Postby dunbar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:46 am

Should a school move up to FBS?

*looks at Connecticut and Massachusetts*

No.
dunbar

Postby mainejeff » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:58 am

I'm glad that UMass moved up. They are easier to beat now. :)
mainejeff

Postby parquetfloor » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:06 am

Move to CAA for all sports? Move football from FCS to FBS? Neither of these things makes any sense in so many ways.
parquetfloor

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:31 am

MAINE COULD SCHEDULE SOME OF THEIR HOME GAMES DOWN IN PORTLAND IF THEY WERE TO HELP EXPLAND FITZPATRICK STADIUM. THEY HAVE A MUCH LARGER FANBASE DOWN THERE PLUS ALL THE INFRASTRUCTURE IS THERE FOR FAN TRANSPORTATION FROM THE LARGER CITIES LIKE AMTRAK OR AIRLINES.

THE REQUIREMENT FOR 1A FOOTBALL IS 17,000.

IF THEY WERE TO SCHEDULE CLEMSON OR ALABAMA OR EVEN SYRACUSE THEY WOULD GENERATE A LOT MORE FANS
DOWN IN PORTLAND. THE FANBASE IS IN PORTLAND NOT IN ORONO. THAT SAID ALABAMA USED TO SCHEDULE GAMES IN BIRMINGHAM EVEN THOUGH IT WAS 75 MILES FROM TUSCALOOSA TO BIRMINGHAM BECAUSE OF A LARGER FANBASE.

MAINE COULD MAKE THE MOVE TO 1A AND STILL SCHEDULE THE REST OF THE LESSER OPPONENTS BACK IN ORONO,
SIMILAR TO WHAT ALABAMA DID SPLITTING THEIR HOME GAMES BACK IN THE 80'S.

I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT THE COST OF REFURBISHING FITZPATRICK STADIUM DOWN IN PORTLAND WOULD BE OR WHETHER UMAINE has even considered that idea. It would certainly allow a larger number of Corporate sponsors
to get involved which would be a bonus for the Athletic budget.

THAT IS ANOTHER QUESTION ALL BY ITSELF BUT THEN UMAINE WOULD HAVE THEIR SPORTS REVENUES BASED ON TICKET SALES RATHER THAN HAVING TO RELY ON WEALTHY DONORS ALL THE TIME,
basketball_guy

Postby thebam » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:37 am

Is that the same UMaine fan base that didn't draw as many fans for a basketball TOURNAMENT game as they do for a regular season game in Bangor? There is no scenario.. none.. where Maine football would, or should make the jump to FBS ( 1A) . UMass tried it in the shadows of Boston.. epic fail and now they are dropping back down. This is simply nonsensical, and invoking a perceived fan base in southern Maine is laughable. They love Maine so much that they won't make a 2 hour drive to see them play, or turn out for a tournament game in their own back yard. Stop it.
thebam

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:44 am

basketball_guy wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:
Charles: Interesting question and post. That ought to stir the pot a little.

I'm nit a big football fan. Can't seem to get interested in a game that is not played with a round ball. When that 2 ended pointed ball hits the playing surface NOBODY IN THE STADIUM KNOWS WHICH WAY IT IS GOING TO BOUNCE.

THAT'S MY 2 CENTS WORTH ON FOOTBALL.

Well, I presume you got the articles I sent to your email address. My grandfather was All-American at Pitt and also a player and Head Football Coach in the NFL from 1920 to 1926.

I wish they would allow people to upload articles on this thing.

Charles

Charles: Sorry but, have not received that material. When did you e-mail it to me? Did you send it to: mrp17@roadrunner.com?

Bob
bcbc55

Bob:

I sent the information about my basketball playing days at Maine/Alabama along with pictures as well information about my Grandfather who was an All-American football player under the legendary Pop Warner back at the University of Pittsburg as well as articles about his days in the NFL and being both a player and a Coach.

Let me know if you did not recieve it.

Charles
basketball_guy

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics