Which happens first?

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Which happens first?

Postby Countryboy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:23 am

In Baseball, the Riverhawks. In MBB, neither will ever achieve that distinction I'm afraid, but I'd give the edge to the Riverhawks because of their location. Will they be like Northern Kentucky this season and get into the dance in their first season of D1 eligibility, I highly doubt it.
Countryboy

Postby thebam » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:34 am

Countryboy wrote:In Baseball, the Riverhawks. In MBB, neither will ever achieve that distinction I'm afraid, but I'd give the edge to the Riverhawks because of their location. Will they be like Northern Kentucky this season and get into the dance in their first season of D1 eligibility, I highly doubt it.

I'll take that bet.
thebam

Postby TAL1957 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:41 am

Countryboy wrote:In Baseball, the Riverhawks. In MBB, neither will ever achieve that distinction I'm afraid, but I'd give the edge to the Riverhawks because of their location. Will they be like Northern Kentucky this season and get into the dance in their first season of D1 eligibility, I highly doubt it.
Actually, I initially wanted to agree, but when thinking more about the current status of UMaine baseball and the roster, and the AE conference overall, I'm thinkin' UMaine baseball currently has the edge to win the post-season tourney (over UM-Lowell's chances/prospects). But, still gonna have to get by UAlbany and Bing-o U. !!

As for MBB, no real question there on where the likelihood lies, or any need to chase that one down the Rabbit-hole. :o :lol: :lol: :roll:

P.S. - Seems to be a lot of potential "code words" in the initial post. I'm guessing the Rabbit obviously knows more than he is letting on here and is just hinting at his real interest ? UMaine and/or UM-Lowell will be departing the AE perhaps ? In all sports or just MBB (and WBB ?) ? Joining the ACC perhaps ? I doun now, maybe it was jus poorly-worded ??? :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Jus sayin' bro, ya know ?
TAL1957

Postby Pirates79 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:26 pm

The Rabbit wrote:UMass Lowell becomes eligible for the America East title (regular and post season) in 2017-2018 after their transition from D2 to D1.

So which happens first?

The Riverhawks win the men's conference automatic bid to the NCAA tournament or UMaine wins the conference automatic bid to the NCAA tournament?

And why?

In MBB, Lowell. Why? They at least won the D-II title in 1988.
Pirates79

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:40 pm

Pirates79 wrote:
The Rabbit wrote:UMass Lowell becomes eligible for the America East title (regular and post season) in 2017-2018 after their transition from D2 to D1.

So which happens first?

The Riverhawks win the men's conference automatic bid to the NCAA tournament or UMaine wins the conference automatic bid to the NCAA tournament?

And why?

In MBB, Lowell.Why? They at least won the D-II title in 1988.

Pirates79: That is correct and there is no way the Maine men would win a D-2 or probably a D-3 national championship during the past 3 years.

After all they lost to D-3 USM 3 years ago in preseason at Gorham and to the University of Maine at Fort Kent in a preseason game in a home game this past November 85-80 at the "PIT", a team that is in a division lower than D-3 by 2 divisions, actually the 5th division of college basketball out of the 7 total divisions.
bcbc55

Postby TAL1957 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:50 pm

Pirates79 wrote: In MBB, Lowell. Why? They at least won the D-II title in 1988.
Nice put P79 ! Might be a bit more to that than I/ya/some might think ?
Proved, and learned, they were, and could be, pretty good at D-II level.
And then, ... thought they were Good Enuf to move up to D-1 ?? Seriously ? = YES !
And now ..... YEP !!!
Bad News for UMaine (and really, every other Dance-wishin team in the AE).
TAL1957

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:05 am

Probably UMas-Lowell as this year they were 5-11 in the conference and 11-20 overall compared to UMaine's 6-25 overall and ninth and last place in the conference standings. If this year was next year UMaine would have had to play a playin game. In fact, they have helped Maine that way the past 4 seasons..
bcbc55

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics