OT: Albany gets screwed, sent to Connecticut

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: OT: Albany gets screwed, sent to Connecticut

Postby thebam » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:57 am

bcbc55 wrote:
dunbar wrote:If there's any saving grace from Friday's loss, at least we aren't the first victim in Geno's Doldrum of Destruction.

dunbar: Didn't UMaine women get crushed in last year's NIT first round by Quinnipiac?

So where is the saving grace? National TV audience against the number one women's team in the country could not hurt your program regardless of the final score.

It couldn't be much worse then that NIT shellacking last March.

it could be worse. It would be worse. Albany will lose by 45 , or any other number UConn wants to beat them by.

Nobody in the entire country thinks this will be competitive. The TV rating / viewership for this game will be nill.
thebam

Postby parquetfloor » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:15 am

thebam wrote: The TV rating / viewership for this game will be nill.

That is actually not true. I used to think the same thing until someone pointed out the actual ratings. UConn gets a lot of viewership, regardless of the opponent. The game will be played at 11 am on Saturday, with the 2nd game of the day not tipping off until 1:30 pm.
parquetfloor

Postby mainejeff » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:43 am

dunbar wrote:I rather keep the integrity of the bracket. If you're going to move teams up and down a seed line because of travel, you might as well not even seed all teams in the region. Just seed the top four and then seed the four teams in the pod.

The top overall seed should face the worst team in the field. That's not Albany, even with a weaker resume compared to years past.

Although I agree with your point, I don't have a problem with placing any of the 16 seeds regionally. I'm not sure that Albany is a 15 seed this season so.....meh.
mainejeff

Postby mainejeff » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:44 am

parquetfloor wrote:
thebam wrote: The TV rating / viewership for this game will be nill.

That is actually not true. I used to think the same thing until someone pointed out the actual ratings. UConn gets a lot of viewership, regardless of the opponent. The game will be played at 11 am on Saturday, with the 2nd game of the day not tipping off until 1:30 pm.

The ESPN crew wanted to watch them over brunch. :roll:
mainejeff

Postby GoBlackBears » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:58 am

Won't happen but would be awesome if Albany knocked off Uconn. Hoping someone else wins the tournament.
GoBlackBears

Postby fafan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:54 am

I don't see anyone beating them in their bracket but in the semi's or finals I could see ND, Baylor, Gamecocks or Miss. State pulling the upset. They have beaten 3 of these teams and all by 11 pts coincidentally. Yes they are the favorite but these teams have all proved they can play with the Huskies.
fafan

Postby thebam » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Will Vegas even set a line on this game??? No chance for a money line.. but maybe Albany +46.5???
thebam

Postby parquetfloor » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:37 pm

fafan wrote:I don't see anyone beating them in their bracket but in the semi's or finals I could see ND, Baylor, Gamecocks or Miss. State pulling the upset. They have beaten 3 of these teams and all by 11 pts coincidentally. Yes they are the favorite but these teams have all proved they can play with the Huskies.

Guess I'm not sure why you dismissed Maryland, who is in their bracket and only lost by 6 points.
parquetfloor

Postby TAL1957 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:13 pm

TAL1957 wrote: ... Go Terps !!!!! :o ;) ....
TAL1957

Postby fafan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:28 am

parquetfloor wrote:
fafan wrote:I don't see anyone beating them in their bracket but in the semi's or finals I could see ND, Baylor, Gamecocks or Miss. State pulling the upset. They have beaten 3 of these teams and all by 11 pts coincidentally. Yes they are the favorite but these teams have all proved they can play with the Huskies.

Guess I'm not sure why you dismissed Maryland, who is in their bracket and only lost by 6 points.

Ok, missed Maryland , my bad. Guess my point is this UConn team has destroyed lesser opponents but there are teams who have played with them, (like the above 5 teams) this year and seeing how young UConn is I think it is very possible they don't win it all.
fafan

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics