Hockey facing pivotal year under Gendron

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Hockey facing pivotal year under Gendron

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:00 am

Optimists, pessimists agree: UMaine men’s hockey team facing pivotal year under Gendron

... Pessimists and optimists alike have to agree that the fact UMaine has gone 22 games without a win on the road (0-18-4) is embarrassing, and that three straight seasons with at least 20 losses is unacceptable.

“As a coach, you always feel you can find a way [to produce more wins],” said fourth-year head coach Red Gendron, who honored the scholarships held by players recruited by former coach Tim Whitehead, slowing the implementation of his own recruits.

That resulted in a few years of limited scholarship money, even though it was “the right way to do it,” as Gendron said.

“It’s on me. The bottom line is we didn’t build the necessary depth we needed to get more wins,” said Gendron.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/03/08/s ... r-gendron/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Hockey facing pivotal year under Gendron

Postby TAL1957 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:21 pm

ALERT !!
A Serial Killer is on the loose within the UMaine Hockey program. Several scholarship players and a former HC were just shoved under a bus !! And, although authorities do have a prime suspect, no arrest (= stop in the carnage) is currently anticipated. All those associated with the hockey program are urged to remain in a safe place, IF one can be found. :o :shock: :lol: ;)
TAL1957

Postby augie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:41 pm

TAL1957 wrote:ALERT !!
A Serial Killer is on the loose within the UMaine Hockey program. Several scholarship players and a former HC were just shoved under a bus !! And, although authorities do have a prime suspect, no arrest (= stop in the carnage) is currently anticipated. All those associated with the hockey program are urged to remain in a safe place, IF one can be found. :o :shock: :lol: ;)

"the Black Bears finished 11-21-4 and again finished 11th in Hockey East with a 5-15-2 record" TAL, you okay with this?
augie

Postby TAL1957 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:28 pm

augie wrote: "the Black Bears finished 11-21-4 and again finished 11th in Hockey East with a 5-15-2 record" TAL, you okay with this?
Huh ? Where'd you get that from ?

Heck, I was "kinda" (obviously ?) throwin' Larry/Red under the bus for throwing others there, and for the "carnage" of the current program and past season(s).

So, ... NOPE !!
Last edited by TAL1957 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
TAL1957

Postby thebam » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:41 pm

Leave it to Larry to blame Whitehead. I don't believe for a minute that Whitehead recruited the worst of the worst , as Larry's column would imply. What the message is , is that Red hasn't developed any of the players that Whitehead brought in to maine, which , again, likely weren't the worst of the worst.
More BS from Mahoney . Laughable.
thebam

Postby fafan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:58 pm

Will all knew this was coming. UMaine is never ever going to buyout 2yrs of a coaches contract at 200K/yr. So coach Gendron gets another yr to start to turn this ship around. Supposedly this coming class is similiar to last yrs in talent and we can reach a .500 record and even win a road game or two :oops:

And maybe Red thought he had to keep scholarships for Timmay's players but if they are not worthy of keeping a scholarship, ie don't have the talent to play at this level, I think the coach has every right to reduce or take it back if the player cannot help the program. I realize players have roles in practice that doesn't transfer to playing time but those players usually are not on full boats either. I can think of one of Tim's recruits that is a beast but just doesn't have the speed to play at this level.

Bottom line, there was some bus throwing for sure in this article :lol:
fafan

Postby nhsfan4life » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:39 pm

fafan wrote:Will all knew this was coming. UMaine is never ever going to buyout 2yrs of a coaches contract at 200K/yr. So coach Gendron gets another yr to start to turn this ship around. Supposedly this coming class is similiar to last yrs in talent and we can reach a .500 record and even win a road game or two :oops:

And maybe Red thought he had to keep scholarships for Timmay's players but if they are not worthy of keeping a scholarship, ie don't have the talent to play at this level, I think the coach has every right to reduce or take it back if the player cannot help the program. I realize players have roles in practice that doesn't transfer to playing time but those players usually are not on full boats either. I can think of one of Tim's recruits that is a beast but just doesn't have the speed to play at this level.

Devin Shore, Ben Hutton, Steve Swavely, Blaine Byron, Will Merchant. All Whitehead recruits, all great players who played under Red. Whiteheads recruits are NOT the problem.
nhsfan4life

Postby thebam » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:10 am

nhsfan4life wrote:
fafan wrote:Will all knew this was coming. UMaine is never ever going to buyout 2yrs of a coaches contract at 200K/yr. So coach Gendron gets another yr to start to turn this ship around. Supposedly this coming class is similiar to last yrs in talent and we can reach a .500 record and even win a road game or two :oops:

Devin Shore, Ben Hutton, Steve Swavely, Blaine Byron, Will Merchant. All Whitehead recruits, all great players who played under Red. Whiteheads recruits are NOT the problem.

Amen. Mahoney is scared to death to tell it like it is. Afraid Red won't talk to him anymore.
thebam

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics