Foreign recruiting makes a world of difference to WBB

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Foreign recruiting makes a world of difference to WBB

Postby fafan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:39 am

The article was very insightful into how Maine landed this very talented group of players. It should be interesting to follow the growth of this class for the next 3 years. Loved the part where the players speak English on the court but in the locker room they speak their native language ;)
Locally, it should be noted that 3 UMaine assistant coaches were at the CIA to watch S.Portland and Gorham in the S.Maine Championship game. Would assume they were there to watch Holmes and maybe a player from S. Portland.
fafan

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:03 pm

Linguist wrote:Coach Cim,

I've been lurking for a long time here, but you brought me out of hiding on this one.

You are drastically wrong on the recruitment of Sigi. Coach Barron recruited her at Stearns, and she went back to Austria to finish school. He hoped she was stashed away enough that no one else would find her and he kept in contact with her and her family. Coach Barron thought it was a major coup to get Sigi to come to Maine and was not pushed in to signing her. She was the target of that class.

And as far as Caceres is concerned what she did against Purdue was all I needed to see. She ran the Point Forward position brilliantly in that game (and up to Coach Barron's leave of absence) and could be the candidate to facilitate the offense after the graduation of Sigi. She can handle it, has great court vision, passes well, shoots it well enough to keep people honest, she defends and rebounds. Caceres is legit.

Just could not help myself and had to correct that one, so it is back to hiding for me.
Lindquist:

Lindquist: Sorry but my MVP (Most Valuable Person) in getting Sigi to the attention of the Maine staff was done in preseason in November of the year Sigi was at Stearns before Maine knew who Sigi even was.

Sure Barron saw her after the call, but if he was that high on her why didn't she start as a freshmen because when she was on the floor her freshmen year Maine was a better team.

I double checked today with my MVP and he said they did not know about her in November of her Junior year at Stearns when the MVP made the call alerting them to her potential.

That's his story and he is sticking to it and I trust this person and his basketball knowledge and his truthfulness 100%. about how Maine learned about Sigi and her skills, leadership abilities,how she made teammates better and the fact as good a player that she was, she was an even better person.
bcbc55

Postby zonid » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:23 pm

You stated: “If it had not been for a certain knowlegable basketball person who lives in the area Sigi would not have gone to UMaine as they were not recruiting her as a high school player from class C Stearns.” You’ve since been proven wrong as Barron and staff did recruit her. You’ve also changed the story to: Barron didn’t know about Sigi even though she had yet to play a competitive game of basketball in the US and had been in the States for all of ~3 months.

Just stop. You’re delusional.
zonid

Postby augie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:08 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
Linguist wrote:Coach Cim,

I've been lurking for a long time here, but you brought me out of hiding on this one.

You are drastically wrong on the recruitment of Sigi. Coach Barron recruited her at Stearns, and she went back to Austria to finish school. He hoped she was stashed away enough that no one else would find her and he kept in contact with her and her family. Coach Barron thought it was a major coup to get Sigi to come to Maine and was not pushed in to signing her. She was the target of that class.

And as far as Caceres is concerned what she did against Purdue was all I needed to see. She ran the Point Forward position brilliantly in that game (and up to Coach Barron's leave of absence) and could be the candidate to facilitate the offense after the graduation of Sigi. She can handle it, has great court vision, passes well, shoots it well enough to keep people honest, she defends and rebounds. Caceres is legit.

Just could not help myself and had to correct that one, so it is back to hiding for me.
Lindquist:

Lindquist: Sorry but my MVP (Most Valuable Person) in getting Sigi to the attention of the Maine staff was done in preseason in November of the year Sigi was at Stearns before Maine knew who Sigi even was.

Sure Barron saw her after the call, but if he was that high on her why didn't she start as a freshmen because when she was on the floor her freshmen year Maine was a better team.

I double checked today with my MVP and he said they did not know about her in November of her Junior year at Stearns when the MVP made the call alerting them to her potential.

That's his story and he is sticking to it and I trust this person and his basketball knowledge and his truthfulness 100%. about how Maine learned about Sigi and her skills, leadership abilities,how she made teammates better and the fact as good a player that she was, she was an even better person.

Uncle Leo?
augie

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:27 pm

zonid wrote:You stated: “If it had not been for a certain knowlegable basketball person who lives in the area Sigi would not have gone to UMaine as they were not recruiting her as a high school player from class C Stearns.” You’ve since been proven wrong as Barron and staff did recruit her. You’ve also changed the story to: Barron didn’t know about Sigi even though she had yet to play a competitive game of basketball in the US and had been in the States for all of ~3 months.

Just stop. You’re delusional.

z: I may be delusional, but MVP was the first person to bring Sigi to the attention of the Maine staff in November of her year at Stearns.

MYP contacted Associate Head Coach Vachon who relayed the message to Barron, and then and only then did Maine become interested in her.

Nobody knows how long it would have taken the Maine staff to be interested in Sigi if MVP had not contacted Coach Vachon in November during the pre-season for HS Basketball.
bcbc55

Postby turkeyman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Dare I ask how anyone would expect that, a month before the season had begun at Stearns, the UMaine coaching staff would have heard of a foreign-exchange student who had been in Millinocket for two months?

Does it not stand to reason that, as games were played starting in the second week of December, the UMaine staff would have known pretty quickly about the super Austrian who was carrying Stearns?

And, do college coaching staffs not hear almost every day from people who think they have seen the next super star playing in fourth grade somewhere? People close to college programs have told me several times that a fan had tipped the coaching staff to one player or another.

This sounds like something that is being repeated so someone can brag, "I knew Sigi would be great before the Maine coaches had even heard of her."

Give the staff a little credit. Read the PPH story on how Sigi got to Orono. Read again the post by Linguist (who is not some Swedish guy up in the woods) about how Barron got Sigi. Look at the game tapes from 2013-14 . The staff at UMaine does this for a living. All of us on this board do it for sh-ts and giggles. Who do you suppose does it better?

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:45 pm

turkeyman wrote:Dare I ask how anyone would expect that, a month before the season had begun at Stearns, the UMaine coaching staff would have heard of a foreign-exchange student who had been in Millinocket for two months?

Does it not stand to reason that, as games were played starting in the second week of December, the UMaine staff would have known pretty quickly about the super Austrian who was carrying Stearns?

And, do college coaching staffs not hear almost every day from people who think they have seen the next super star playing in fourth grade somewhere? People close to college programs have told me several times that a fan had tipped the coaching staff to one player or another.

This sounds like something that is being repeated so someone can brag, "I knew Sigi would be great before the Maine coaches had even heard of her."

Give the staff a little credit. Read the PPH story on how Sigi got to Orono. Read again the post by Linguist (who is not some Swedish guy up in the woods) about how Barron got Sigi. Look at the game tapes from 2013-14 . The staff at UMaine does this for a living. All of us on this board do it for sh-ts and giggles. Who do you suppose does it better?

Bob Neal
New Sharon

Bob: My MVP lives near the University, got to know Sigi very well as a player and saw her play in a preseason tournament in November of her Year at Class C Stearns and knows their basketball more so then many of the people on here who accuse me of not knowing anything about UMaine basketball.

This person also knows the women's coaching staff personally and has contact with them during the basketball season.

They would take his recommendation seriously and not as just another fan trying to promote a local player at their school.

If fact this person has to evaluate high school girls talent when they picked their AAU team in which Sigi played for after her season at Stearns. THIS PERSON PUT MAINE ONTO SIGI BEFORE THEY KNEW SHE WAS EVEN PLAYING AT STEARNS.
bcbc55

Postby augie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:35 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
turkeyman wrote:Dare I ask how anyone would expect that, a month before the season had begun at Stearns, the UMaine coaching staff would have heard of a foreign-exchange student who had been in Millinocket for two months?

Bob Neal
New Sharon

Bob: My MVP lives near the University, got to know Sigi very well as a player and saw her play in a preseason tournament in November of her Year at Class C Stearns and knows their basketball more so then many of the people on here who accuse me of not knowing anything about UMaine basketball.

This person also knows the women's coaching staff personally and has contact with them during the basketball season.

They would take his recommendation seriously and not as just another fan trying to promote a local player at their school.

If fact this person has to evaluate high school girls talent when they picked their AAU team in which Sigi played for after her season at Stearns. THIS PERSON PUT MAINE ONTO SIGI BEFORE THEY KNEW SHE WAS EVEN PLAYING AT STEARNS.

there is no gray area for you Bob. It's always black and white and unfortunately you loose creditabilty with most, though you are a wealth of knowledge, because of your stubbornness. Humility is a great trait and I have learned this as I age.
augie

Postby parquetfloor » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:21 pm

That type of thing happens all the time...I really don't see why he is beating this horse to complete and total death. It is so annoying. I read the Walsh thread and the very last post is nothing but the same regurgitated things again. I think I may forbid myself from coming back for a while. I did that once and it was nice...may be time for some more time away again.
parquetfloor

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:34 pm

parquetfloor wrote:That type of thing happens all the time...I really don't see why he is beating this horse to complete and total death. It is so annoying. I read the Walsh thread and the very last post is nothing but the same regurgitated things again. I think I may forbid myself from coming back for a while. I did that once and it was nice...may be time for some more time away again.

'PF: If I am not attacked personally then I usually don;t fight back, but being called a liar is something that is just beyond name calling by people with no guts to put their real names out when being real nastily. I don't do that and all I do is respond to posts especially when they are attacking nicely like turkeyman does or nastily by zonid.

At my age this old dog is not going to learn any new tricks and I don't need people telling me what I should post or not post. Who died and made then the Boss here on MBR or who do they think they are?
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics