Foreign recruiting makes a world of difference to WBB

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Foreign recruiting makes a world of difference to WBB

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:03 pm

mainejeff wrote:
driveandive wrote:Maybe a little off topic, but don't they have a gunner from Mass. coming to Umaine next year?

Yes, Kelly Fogarty, Walpole HS. Probably one of the best shooters (along with Blodgett) ever recruited by Maine out of HS.

mj: Is she a point guard?
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:09 pm

zonid wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:Bob and Zonid:

I'll take E over B and C and you can take B and C over E.

You didn't answer my question, how many times have you seen Esposito play, on tape and in person. Answer the question.

As for Sigi's recruitment: http://www.pressherald.com/2016/01/29/u ... llinocket/

Barron watched her play in person while at Stearns and stayed in touch after she left. I can't outright deny your claim that Barron had to be pushed to offer a scholarship after the fact, but given your propensity to outright lie on this board and your inability to post a coherent thought, I don't believe you.

Z: Here is the answer you want. I saw Esposito twice and Sigi once (both when they were juniors and E when a senior) and knew that both were D-1 players and at a level higher than UMaine.

However about calling me a lier. Remember that old saying, "It takes one to know one".

Also, when you point an index finger at someone to accuse them of something, you better look at your point hand as 3 fingers are pointing back at the person that is doing the accusing and probably are 3 times as guilty about what the pointer is pointing/saying about the person they are pointing at.

You are entitled to your opinion of my incoherent thoughts on MBR, but I don't worry about what I am called, so long as, "it is not being called late to dinner:

If you, Z, just take my so called "Outright lies" just "incoherent thoughts" then I have no problem with that.

Otherwise, I just "take it from whence it comes".
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:33 pm

mainejeff wrote:
driveandive wrote:Maybe a little off topic, but don't they have a gunner from Mass. coming to Umaine next year?

Yes, Kelly Fogarty, Walpole HS. Probably one of the best shooters (along with Blodgett) ever recruited by Maine out of HS.

mj: Is she a point guard?
bcbc55

Postby Blind Zebra » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Gotta believe Maine is scouring the globe for the next Black Bear point guard. Wouldn't shock me if Brosseau steps up into that role though. I also think McVicar can be a serviceable back up point next year, getting more consistent playing time.
Maine's Euros are all very skilled ball handlers and passers. Where in Maine can you find a 6 footer who can bring the ball up against full court pressure and at the same time bang bodies and rebound against D1 talent? Caceres and Waddling are multi-dimensional players just scratching the surface of what they will become in 2 or 3 years. Tihana S. played limited minutes but she may have the most raw potential of the freshmen. If she and the coaching staff put in the work and get her basketball skills caught up with her athleticism, look out AE! Would not surprise me if she can dunk guys. The future is extremely bright for this program!
Blind Zebra

Postby zonid » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:44 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:Gotta believe Maine is scouring the globe for the next Black Bear point guard. Wouldn't shock me if Brosseau steps up into that role though. I also think McVicar can be a serviceable back up point next year, getting more consistent playing time.
Maine's Euros are all very skilled ball handlers and passers. Where in Maine can you find a 6 footer who can bring the ball up against full court pressure and at the same time bang bodies and rebound against D1 talent? Caceres and Waddling are multi-dimensional players just scratching the surface of what they will become in 2 or 3 years. Tihana S. played limited minutes but she may have the most raw potential of the freshmen. If she and the coaching staff put in the work and get her basketball skills caught up with her athleticism, look out AE! Would not surprise me if she can dunk guys. The future is extremely bright for this program!

Love the optimism and I completely agree with everything BZ is saying. I think McVicar can serve the Courtney Anderson role as a consistent ball handler that can knock down an open three in the half court. No one will replace Sigi, obviously, but if we consider the jump she made between her freshman and sophomore seasons and apply that to the freshman class, well that rising tide lifts all boats.

As far as scouring the globe - Amy has made a public comment or two about scouting in both the UK and Finland. Not sure who the UK player could be but the Finnish player may be Kia Vaalavirta - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9YUQiAb3IE. Certainly an intriguing prospect at the point position.

It should also be noted that Fogarty out of Mass is a McDonald's All-American Game nominee. This is a great win for Maine as far as recruiting New England prospects go.
zonid

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:36 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:Gotta believe Maine is scouring the globe for the next Black Bear point guard. Wouldn't shock me if Brosseau steps up into that role though. I also think McVicar can be a serviceable back up point next year, getting more consistent playing time.

BZ: In my opinion, Maine was a better team when Sigi was on the floor during her freshmen year. Barron just did not play her enough minutes because she was a freshmen and HE DIDN'T SEEM TO HAVE ENOUGH CONFIDENCE IN HER TO GIVE HER MORE MINUTES WHICH WOULD HAVE MADE HIS TEAM BETTER ALL THE WAY AROUND.

Why didn't Barron play Sigi more as a freshmen in your opinion.

Also, why don't the bigs stop and shoot power layups when they have the ball in the power alley instead of floating to the basket on the move which TAKES THEM OUT OF THE OFFENSIVE REBOUND POSITION FOR THEIR OWN MISSED SHOTS FROM THE POWER ALLEY?

I respect your basketball knowledge very, very much here on MBR so I hope you will you please answer these 2 questions.
1.Why didn't Barron play Sigi more as a freshmen?
2.Why no power layups by any of UMaine women's big?

Thanks in advance.
bcbc55

Postby turkeyman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Didn't I read today, on one of these threads, an AE coach saying she could easily have voted five Maine freshmen for the all-rookie team? It might have been McGarity at UNH. That is a pretty powerful statement and may say all that needs to be said about going Euro.

Anyone who follows Maine wbb will love Sigi forever. Go back and look at some of the tapes of 2013-14 and then ask why Barron didn't play her more. Look especially at the games Maine lost by one point. I believe there were four that year, maybe five. And, by year's end she got more playing time, if memory serves.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:25 pm

turkeyman wrote:Didn't I read today, on one of these threads, an AE coach saying she could easily have voted five Maine freshmen for the all-rookie team? It might have been McGarity at UNH. That is a pretty powerful statement and may say all that needs to be said about going Euro.

Anyone who follows Maine wbb will love Sigi forever. Go back and look at some of the tapes of 2013-14 and then ask why Barron didn't play her more. Look especially at the games Maine lost by one point. I believe there were four that year, maybe five. And, by year's end she got more playing time, if memory serves.

Bob Neal
New Sharon

Bob: UNH's "supervisor of substitutions" got beat by 1 senior, 1 junior and 6 frosh who they had beaten twice in the regular season.

Just got out coached by an associate head coach with no head college coaching experience except since Barron's departure, as UNH was not prepared for the 2-3 zone. "Live by the 3, UNH died by the 3" on last Sunday.

Excellent game plan by Coach Vachon and her staff. She should be AE Coach of the Year for doing the great job she has done in a very tough situation with such a young team and Sigi out for 3 games and not at 100% for 4 or 5 games.

Had Barron started Sigi from the get go things might have been different. They were a better team when she was on the floor despite those close one point losses.
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:46 am

Coach Cim,

I've been lurking for a long time here, but you brought me out of hiding on this one.

You are drastically wrong on the recruitment of Sigi. Coach Barron recruited her at Stearns, and she went back to Austria to finish school. He hoped she was stashed away enough that no one else would find her and he kept in contact with her and her family. Coach Barron thought it was a major coup to get Sigi to come to Maine and was not pushed in to signing her. She was the target of that class.

And as far as Caceres is concerned what she did against Purdue was all I needed to see. She ran the Point Forward position brilliantly in that game (and up to Coach Barron's leave of absence) and could be the candidate to facilitate the offense after the graduation of Sigi. She can handle it, has great court vision, passes well, shoots it well enough to keep people honest, she defends and rebounds. Caceres is legit.

Just could not help myself and had to correct that one, so it is back to hiding for me.
Linguist

Postby TAL1957 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:11 am

Blind Zebra wrote: Maine's Euros are all very skilled ball handlers and passers. Where in Maine can you find a 6 footer who can bring the ball up against full court pressure and at the same time bang bodies and rebound against D1 talent?

Getting off an incoming international flight at BIA or PWM ?! :o ;)
TAL1957

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics