Foreign recruiting makes a world of difference to WBB

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Foreign recruiting makes a world of difference to WBB

Postby turkeyman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:06 pm

I'm sure coaches sometimes recruit players whom they have never seen in action. But I believe that is the exception, not the rule. I believe Stacia Rustad came that way to Maine from Alaska, based on a tape she sent to Palombo and fortuitously timed when Maine had an open scholarship and needed a stopper off the bench. Worked out for everyone.

But mostly, I believe, coaches look at tapes to get an idea of whom they want to go see in person. I admit that I go to games for different reasons, but I certainly get far more out of a game in person than a game seen on TV. One beauty of basketball is that you can see all the players at one time. Sometimes, that is true on TV or tape but not always. There is a difference between what a player does one-on-one and what she does in the total setting with nine other players. And when you're in the gym, you, rather than the camera operator, choose what to look at.

I've never seen Esposito in person or on TV. Maine always has had games when she is on TV. I have seen Brosseau and Caceras in person in 22 of their 33 games (23 of 34 if you count the exhibition game). I'm not a coach or a scout, but these two players appear to me to be really good gets for Maine. We already know what they can do at Div. I level. I'll happily take the prospect of three more years of those two.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:55 pm

Bob and Zonid:

I'll take E over B and C and you can take B and C over E.

The only way E is behind B and C is alphabetically not as a basketball player.

In late December I predicted that this years team could be as good as last years team and it appears that they could be even better if they win on Friday.

However, the key is Sigi. Last year she lead a group of seniors to the AE Final in game they should have won.

This year she lead a group of inexperienced international players which is harder to do not only because of their inexperience but because they all had to adjust to not only D-1 college basketball but to everything else here in Maine.

Who is going to take Sigi's place and perform at her level? NOBODY on this current roster.

Also do you know that UMaine had to be pushed to take Sigi as a recruit 4 years ago?

Maine almost didn't get her.

If it had not been for a certain knowlegable basketball person who lives in the area Sigi would not have gone to UMaine as they were not recruiting her as a high school player from class C Stearns.

Also, she was under used as a freshmen as they were much better team with her on the floor.

It will not surprise me if she doesn't lead Maine to the "Big Dance". She is the best all-around high basketball IQ player and leader and team oriented player ever to play in the Women's basketball program at the University of Maine.

Maine is darn lucky that that MVP (most valuable person) in the history of recruiting women basketball players pushed so hard for Maine to sign her.

Z: I base my opinion on my 70 plus years of basketball experience as a player, coach, official fan. Radio/TV color commentator and fan.

I base it on watching players play in games regardless of whther I see them in person or online or on TV.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bcbc55

Postby thebam » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:12 pm

bcbc55 wrote:Zonid and Bob:

Villanova is a little bit more big time than UMaine.

Barely. I am not sure with a little more talent, Maine couldn't accomplish exactly what Nova has accomplished in the last 10 years.. which isn't a hell of a lot. 2 big dance appearances and a handful of NIT appearances in which they are generally bounced in 1 game on the road.
thebam

Postby TAL1957 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Re: " Foreign recruiting makes a world of difference to WBB "

Yes, Yes, YES IT DOES !!!

That "was" the topic folks (before "somebody" took it completely somewhere else).
Last edited by TAL1957 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAL1957

Postby zonid » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:30 pm

bcbc55 wrote:Bob and Zonid:

I'll take E over B and C and you can take B and C over E.

You didn't answer my question, how many times have you seen Esposito play, on tape and in person. Answer the question.

As for Sigi's recruitment: http://www.pressherald.com/2016/01/29/u ... llinocket/

Barron watched her play in person while at Stearns and stayed in touch after she left. I can't outright deny your claim that Barron had to be pushed to offer a scholarship after the fact, but given your propensity to outright lie on this board and your inability to post a coherent thought, I don't believe you.
zonid

Postby mainejeff » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:32 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
mainejeff wrote:I'll take all of Maine foreign recruits over any players from the State of Maine that I saw in the tourney. TJ Carter is the only one that comes close to that level of player.

MJ: What about Emily Esposito from Gorham going to Villanova? She certainly could play at Maine and I would take her over Brosseau and Caceres next season.

I'm talking about players from the State of Maine that I saw in the AE Tourney! :roll: We'll see how Esposito does at Villanova. Players from the State of Maine also seem injury prone as of late. What's up with that?...do they drink enough milk?
mainejeff

Postby TAL1957 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: " Foreign recruiting makes a world of difference to WBB "

That "was" the topic folks (before "somebody" took it completely somewhere else).

It's NOT about somebody Not at Maine, and Not going to be. It's Not about Villanova. It "was" about ...

"Foreign recruiting makes a world of difference to WBB"

And YES, it clearly has and does !!! :o :roll:
TAL1957

Postby driveandive » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:50 pm

Maybe a little off topic, but don't they have a gunner from Mass. coming to Umaine next year?
driveandive

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:55 pm

TAL1957 wrote:Re: " Foreign recruiting makes a world of difference to WBB "

T: Tom posted this topic, when he gets upset then I'll be sorry .
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:59 pm

driveandive wrote:Maybe a little off topic, but don't they have a gunner from Mass. coming to Umaine next year?

Yes, Kelly Fogarty, Walpole HS. Probably one of the best shooters (along with Blodgett) ever recruited by Maine out of HS.
mainejeff

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics