Foreign recruiting makes a world of difference to WBB

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Foreign recruiting makes a world of difference to WBB

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:01 am

Foreign recruiting makes a world of difference to UMaine women’s basketball
Tapping international talent to round out rosters is now standard practice for the Black Bears and other NCAA Division I programs hungry to compete.

... “I would love to see our team full of Maine kids,” Vachon said. “But the reality is that it’s very different than it was 20 years ago.

“Kids these days have a lot more offers. They’re being recruited earlier. I was in eighth grade when (club basketball) started. Now there are teams going to tournaments all over the country.

“We just want to get the best players. If they’re from Bangor, Maine, great. If they’re from Zagreb, Croatia, great. We’re going to get the best kids possible who are interested in Maine.”

HOW UMAINE ATTRACTS FOREIGN PLAYERS

How do the Black Bears get international players interested in Maine?

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/03/05/u ... ifference/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Foreign recruiting makes a world of difference to WBB

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:07 am

Off-court, UMaine women’s foreign basketball players face adjustments in ‘such a different world’
For recruits from other countries, American ways are sometimes difficult to digest.

... The players blend together, with their common passion basketball, and the common language English – although the locker room can get a little hectic.

“It’s so fun with all the different languages,” Wadling said. “In the locker room, the Spanish girls will start screaming to each other across the room. Then the Croatians start speaking in their language.”

Maybe Wadling should start yelling out in Swedish? Wadling smiled at the suggestion.

“Sometimes I do,” she said.

On the court, it’s all English, although the Americans’ slang does not always translate.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/03/05/o ... ent-world/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby mainejeff » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:09 am

I'll take all of Maine foreign recruits over any players from the State of Maine that I saw in the tourney. TJ Carter is the only one that comes close to that level of player.
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:16 pm

mainejeff wrote:I'll take all of Maine foreign recruits over any players from the State of Maine that I saw in the tourney. TJ Carter is the only one that comes close to that level of player.

MJ: What about Emily Esposito from Gorham going to Villanova? She certainly could play at Maine and I would take her over Brosseau and Caceres next season.
bcbc55

Postby zonid » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:32 pm

Esposito will be the third Maine basketball player to make a D1 impact this decade, the other two being Koizar and Clement. Maine never had a shot at her but was the first school to offer, oh well.

As for Caceres and Brosseau - You would be wrong. Brosseau and Esposito are different players and Julie is going to have a fantastic career at Maine. Caceres is a five star recruit that was also recruited by SEC and ACC teams. She, along with Millan and Kelava have ridiculously high ceilings at the AE level. You will be eating your words in short order.

Question - have you attended any Maine games in person? Your recaps are rehashes of the box score and are rather meaningless. Just wondering where your analysis is coming from.
zonid

Postby turkeyman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Zonid is right. I believe Maine won't regret recruiting either of them.

Julie stepped in at point when Sigi was hurt. I don't know if she had played much point before, but she did well with Sigi out. This year, I have seen Julie mature on defense. She seemed to fit well into the 2-3 matchup. She is adding dribble penetration to her three-point game, and her pull-up jumper is becoming a weapon. Her free throw shooting means opponents cannot wait for Sigi to pass the ball before fouling in the late going. She is progressing just fine.

Naira is almost too versatile. I have a hard time figuring where her niche may be, but that is a pleasant problem. She can snag a board and beat the defense up the court with the ball. We saw kids on other teams this weekend who could grab rebounds but couldn't dribble out of the free-throw lane without losing the ball. Naira a couple of times was able to box out for boards when other Maine players weren't. The big question, to me, is whether she is a 2, a 3 or a 4. She's down on playing time a bit right now, but I expect her minutes will rise.

Sometimes I believe we haven't even begun to see the limits of this gang of freshmen. We knew a couple of months ago about Kelava's shot-swatting ability. Five in one game. Put arms that long on a 6-3 body, and you've got someone special. Now, we see that her mid-range jumper is almost as automatic as Carlie Pogue's double-pump short shot. Opposing coaches may soon have to design defenses to keep the ball away from her, because her length, quickness and shot may lead to some big scoring. And against Bingo, she seemed to pull the team along emotionally. She was cheerleader in chief, and she kept it up on Sunday. She has had some difficulty against wide bodies, but Maine has a good weight room. Expect her to beef up some.

At first, I thought Fanny might be a project. But she continues to show moves and abilities we didn't know about. She still plays like a freshman a lot. At one time yesterday, I thought Coach Amy should get her off the floor. But she wound up with a good stat sheet. And, she is a freshman. Freshmen sometimes do freshmen things.

By all reports, Esposito is a loss, to be sure. But some kids just want to see the world. As long as European kids want to see the world of Maine, I'm happy. Someone posted earlier that the Maine staff had decided that trying to recruit southern Maine kids just wasn't worth the effort. The PPH article shows that in financial terms, the Euro track doesn't cost more, may cost less. And Barron's and Vachon's willingness to visit players in their homes is paying off. I remember Sharon Versyp telling boosters that she always sat with a recruit and her family in the living room before offering. Al McGuire at Marquette said about the same, but he said sitting in the kitchen. Kids choose a school to attend, for sure, but they also choose a coach for whom to play. You're not gonna get to know the coach via Skype.

It's also good to know that Coach Amy recruited Fanny and Anita. That means two of the starters are "her kids." We hear and read about Barron going to Europe to recruit. I knew that Coach Amy went, too, but I hadn't known that these two were her "gets."

It would help statewide interest to get a southern Maine kid who is an impact player at Maine, but the kids and coaches down there are going to have to make that decision. I believe the Maine staff has done about all it could to get those kids to stay in state. Surely, if there were an impact player, or perhaps even a bench player, from south of Bowdoinham on the current team, attendance at the AE rounds might have been higher. But it is what it is. If kids from down there don't want to play for their state university, God bless them and good luck. UNH and UVM have one in-state kid apiece, I believe, so this is not a Maine-only issue.

Liz Wood had a great take on this stuff. She said, "Where else would I have had a German roommate" and played with and gotten to know people her own age from England, Sweden, Finland, Austria, Serbia and Israel? Orono was a cultural melting pot for her. Lots of places are more cosmopolitan than Bangor, but UMaine is now 30 percent out-of-state students, so Orono is becoming evermore cosmopolitan. It's a great learning experience for kids from the States.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
Last edited by turkeyman on Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turkeyman

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:17 pm

zonid wrote:Esposito will be the third Maine basketball player to make a D1 impact this decade, the other two being Koizar and Clement. Maine never had a shot at her but was the first school to offer, oh well.

As for Caceres and Brosseau - You would be wrong. Brosseau and Esposito are different players and Julie is going to have a fantastic career at Maine. Caceres is a five star recruit that was also recruited by SEC and ACC teams. She, along with Millan and Kelava have ridiculously high ceilings at the AE level. You will be eating your words in short order.

Question - have you attended any Maine games in person? Your recaps are rehashes of the box score and are rather meaningless. Just wondering where your analysis is coming from.

Zonid: All I said to Mainejeff was that Epsosito could play at Maine if Brosseau and Caceres could play at Maine. Don't forget she is a year younger and still probably will grow another inch or too. She is a very versatile player.

I just said that Esposito was a better prospect then B and C.

That doesn't mean they are not good recruits or players just that I would take Esposito over them both. She well may have a bigger impact right away at Villanova them Brosseau and Caceres has had at Maine.

I have seen all of Maine's games online and I don't need to ]see the games in person to evaluate players or the games.

What do you think coaches do when they have to watch tapes or online streamed material to scout opponents or recruits.

As far as my Maine game write ups are concerned I do them for Tom here on MBR as a favor and they are only supposed to be statistical reports of each Men's and Women's games.
bcbc55

Postby zonid » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:27 pm

You actually implied that Esposito was the better player despite not having seen any of the three play in person. If you can't be bothered to watch Maine play in person you should refrain from commenting on the team / players and stick to summarizing the box scores for us.
zonid

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:45 pm

zonid wrote:You actually implied that Esposito was the better player despite not having seen any of the three play in person. If you can't be bothered to watch Maine play in person you should refrain from commenting on the team / players and stick to summarizing the box scores for us.

Zonid: If college coaches scout games and evaluate recruits off online tapes then I think I can evaluate talent the same way as I did scouting upcoming opponents for 30 years coaching.

In a one on one contest she would beat Brosseau and Caceres. Brosseau can't post up and Caceres can't shoot the 3.

Esposito can do both and she is at least a year younger than they are.

Esposito Villanova ncaa.comrpi 62 Maine 127
Esposito Big East realtimer.conference ranking 7
Maine 22nd of 32 conferences

Villanova 16-14... Maine 18-15

Need I say more?
bcbc55

Postby zonid » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:49 pm

RPI doesn't mean anything. How many games have you seen Esposito play?

Not disagreeing with the fact that she's a great prospect that Maine missed out on, but just curious how legitimate your opinions are. You do have a tendency to argue against anything UMaine due to your, uh, personality. :lol:
zonid

Next

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics