critics of post or posters

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

critics of post or posters

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:04 am

Start your own threads !!

Why don't you ignore coach Cim or others who you don't like and start your own thread .. ?
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Mainebballer and other critics of post or posters

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:44 am

Great idea Tom! People spend more time talking about other posters than they do UM athletics. Sad!
mainejeff

Postby TAL1957 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:14 am

So .......

Everyone should just ignore foolish, ridiculous, erroneous and even the vicious and slanderous posts targeting specific players or coaches even when they strongly, strongly object and disagree ? If those kinds of uncalled for and nasty posts are going to be allowed, with no response from the MBR administrators, then it's appropriate and in "some" cases necessary for others to respond.

However, any such responses should be made in an appropriate tone and focused on the offending or erroneous content, rather than on the specific person making the erroneous/offensive post. Hopefully these can also be limited to a single response or two, as continuing these back and forth sling-fests only encourages the offensive behavior and no doubt turns off many viewers.

And YES, I'm unfortunately guilty myself of such transgressions when the incessant pile-ons push me over the edge. Time for more silent objection and less screaming protest.

For my part, I think a self-imposed, one-month limit on any further comments in response to anything concerning UMaine MBB can't hurt. Perhaps others may choose to join me. Heck, let's just " PLAY BALL " !?

Yea, Tho I Walk thru the Valley of Darkness, I Shall Fear No Evil, for I am the ........... ! ;)

Jus' Sayin' ......
Last edited by TAL1957 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TAL1957

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:43 am

TAL.....I think that both of us suffer from our humor and/or sarcasm not always translating well on this forum. My "Drop Maine Hockey" was of course hyperbole which I used to get response to what I feel is a rather dire situation for UM's former premiere sports program and what is (was) an important source of revenue for the athletic dept. In any case....I will try to tone down my hyperbole in favor of vanilla language backed up by as many facts as I can dig up. :)
mainejeff

Postby TAL1957 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:12 am

mainejeff wrote:TAL.....I think that both of us suffer from our humor and/or sarcasm not always translating well on this forum. ...
;) :D
TAL1957

Postby turkeyman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:46 pm

Tom, et al,

I heard twice yesterday from people who say the UMaine board on mbr has gotten really nasty. One was from out of state, the other may know more about bb than most of us. It has become a bit personal. But there are reasons, I believe.

This board has hosted some terrific discussions. The majority post when they can advance the discussion. I believe those of us who have criticized Cim are irritated as much by his reluctance to consider different opinions as by his proposals or by his repetition or by his being out-dated. I don't disrespect anyone's experience, knowledge or achievements. I do disrespect anyone who pays no attention to the posts of others and repeats and repeats the same ideas without, in many cases, responding to people who are trying to advance the discussion.

Twice in the past three days someone has said to me that Cim's perspectives are out of date, that he just hasn't kept up with changes in the game. That was part of what I was trying to say on another thread on Saturday. Cim's reply to me was that he wasn't taking advice from anyone and wouldn't change his spots. I almost responded that he had just proved the contention of several posters, to wit, that it was all about Cim and not about the game. I decided to let that sleeping dog lie. For a while.

That saddens me because I believe he has knowledge he could add to the board. Hell, I would listen to Hank Iba today even though the Sage of Stallwater was considered old-fashioned even before he took Oklahoma A & M high in mbb. (Iba may have had something to do with what is now OSU getting into the Big Eight because no one else could compete with KU in mbb. 'Course, he didn't either, as it turned out, but it was a good addition.)

Thanks, Tom, for the suggestion, but I won't start my own thread. My interest is primarily in Maine wbb (UMaine, Bowdoin, etc.) and secondarily in the other sports. When wbb is done, I pretty well turn into a pumpkin until fall. I don't know enough to advance a discussion of field hockey or softball or baseball or football. But I do look forward to continued lively subjects and postings on the UMaine board.

A note to MJ. At the time, I thought your "drop hockey" post was sarcastic, but I wasn't sure. I used to tell students that humor is the hardest thing to carry off in print. There is a reason that so few have rivaled Dave Barry or Erma Bombeck. Glad to know you weren't 100 percent serious.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby augie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:52 pm

I must be in the minority but I found this poster on poster crime quite entertaining.
augie

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:58 pm

Objective criticism is and should be allowed ....
Personal attacks are intended to undermine, disqualify ..

We'll get it worked out . but to say coach Cim doesn't know the game and is outdated is wrong . to say he is stubborn and believes in a his way, that would be true . We may disagree with his tactics and strategy, or your perceived notion of him .. but he understands coaching, teaching, strategy, winning... examples are welcome as to how he is outdated or wrong .. email tom@mbr.org and I'll respond with point / counterpoint and post.

I think many of you have no clue as to whats going on with mens basketball talent. . but do i rip you. No... it's an opinion based forum.. and we all have 'em.. and I respect that ..
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: critics of post or posters

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:08 pm

We should be able to agree to disagree ... to hear the other side and respond respectfully ..

I will continue to strive toward that goal with the forums..
thx
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics