UMaine MBB Players Earn AE Awards

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

UMaine MBB Players Earn AE Awards

Postby TAL1957 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:42 am

South Paris freshman gains America East basketball recognition
Pete Warner, BDN Staff
Follow on Twitter
Posted Feb. 27, 2017, at 3:49 p.m.
Last modified Feb. 27, 2017, at 4:55 p.m.

Andrew Fleming was a bright spot this season on a struggling University of Maine men’s basketball team. On Monday, the freshman from South Paris was the only Black Bear recognized for his contributions on the court when he was named to the America East All-Rookie Team.
The 6-foot-7 forward, who starred at Oxford Hills High School, bounced back after a significant ankle injury early in the season to become one of UMaine’s most consistent presences. …………………….

..... UMaine sophomore guard Ryan Bernstein was lauded for his academic excellence as he was one of seven members of the America East All-Academic Team. Bernstein holds a 3.47 grade point average while studying mass communication.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/02/27/sports/south-paris-freshman-gains-america-east-basketball-recognition/
http://bangordailynews.com/2017/02/27/s ... cognition/
TAL1957

Re: UMaine MBB Players Earn AE Awards

Postby TAL1957 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:38 am

And for overall MBB AE awards:

Vermont's Historic Season Leads to Sweep of Men's AE Hoops Major Awards

BOSTON - For the first time in America East history, a program has swept all five major men's basketball awards as Vermont took home all the major hardware after winning a program-record 26 games and completing just the third unbeaten regular-season in conference history.

All of the conference’s 2016-17 major awards and All-Conference teams were announced Monday via an awards show on FaceBook Live. Award winners were nominated by their own coaches and voted on by the conference’s head coaches, who could not vote for their own team.

Trae Bell-Haynes led the selections as he was chosen the Kevin Roberson Player of the Year. Anthony Lamb was a unanimous selection as Rookie of the Year while Dre Wills took home Defensive Player of the Year recognition and Darren Payen was named the Sixth Man of the Year. Vermont's head coach, John Becker, was unanimously chosen the league's Coach of the Year.

http://www.americaeast.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14000&ATCLID=211505570
TAL1957

Postby mainejeff » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:01 am

Congrats to Andrew on his All-Rookie team award. Well deserved!

As far as Myers goes...he was not going to be a 1st Team pick but definitely would (should) have been a 2nd/3rd Team choice. The assault/suspension definitely ended those hopes. I think that a change of scenery would be the best choice for him whether he is reinstated or not. But that just my opinion...
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:48 pm

mainejeff wrote:Congrats to Andrew on his All-Rookie team award. Well deserved!

As far as Myers goes...he was not going to be a 1st Team pick but definitely would (should) have been a 2nd/3rd Team choice. The assault/suspension definitely ended those hopes. I think that a change of scenery would be the best choice for him whether he is reinstated or not. But that just my opinion...

mainejeff. I think Myers would have been a first team choice as he led the conference in scoring 20.6 ppg and was in an additional 8 of the remaining total 15 categories that AE listed in the final conference only stats.

So he was in the 9 of 16 categories that were listed.

Leading the league in scoring should have been enough to get him a first team selection considering the stats are based only on conference games. Also the fact that he was playing for a last place team should have been enough to get him on the first place team.

Just my opinion.
bcbc55

Postby TAL1957 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:45 pm

Well, was kinda hoping we could just keep the focus on WHO GOT PICKED, not who didn't. So much for that.

Okay mj and bcbc, guess this thread is now all yours to focus on something else, as is all to usual for the latter but kinda disappointing for the former. Another thread goes into the toilet. Thx. guys, real helpful info. and insight on the AE awards. :roll: :evil: :cry:
TAL1957

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:13 am

Mainebballer wrote:
TAL1957 wrote:Well, was kinda hoping we could just keep the focus on WHO GOT PICKED, not who didn't. So much for that.

Okay mj and bcbc, guess this thread is now all yours to focus on something else, as is all to usual for the latter but kinda disappointing for the former. Another thread goes into the toilet. Thx. guys, real helpful info. and insight on the AE awards. :roll: :evil: :cry:

You expected something different from resident "genius" bcbc55?
Wait long enough and he'll turn this into something about himself!

a retired coach who likes to talk hoops and you're all over him.. you are the embarrassing ones !! I will take coach cim any-day over the behavior of you two.

you can't just ignore his post... of course you can.. you chose not to

MBR forums is an open forum where all opinions and styles are welcomed.. just because you don't like his style , it doesn't give you a right to be rude, inconsiderate and acting like ... well. i'll edit myself ..
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:00 am

Tom Nolette wrote:
Mainebballer wrote:
TAL1957 wrote:Well, was kinda hoping we could just keep the focus on WHO GOT PICKED, not who didn't. So much for that.

You expected something different from resident "genius" bcbc55?
Wait long enough and he'll turn this into something about himself!

a retired coach who likes to talk hoops and you're all over him.. you are the embarrassing ones !! I will take coach cim any-day over the behavior of you two.

you can't just ignore his post... of course you can.. you chose not to

MBR forums is an open forum where all opinions and styles are welcomed.. just because you don't like his style , it doesn't give you a right to be rude, inconsiderate and acting like ... well. i'll edit myself ..

Amen Tom. We've had our differences to put it mildly over the years, but I don't think either of us have any problem with each other discussing or promoting UM athletics on this forum. The vile that comes out of people on here that is directed toward other posters is ridiculous. If you don't agree with someone then give us your opinions why and be done with it. There are a lot of people on this forum....and across our country right now that just can't seem to accept the fact that there are other opinions that differ from their own. And then there are facts.....yes, there are still facts in this world! Walsh's record at Maine is a FACT....and it doesn't tell me that he is a good coach at UM. We can argue the reasons, but his record at UM is abysmal after 3 years. Then there are other issues that also plague this program. I believe that D-1 college coaches are hired for the following reasons:

1. Win games
2. Win games to help bring in revenue
3. Win games to help promote the university
4. Win games while representing the university in a positive light

See a trend there? Win games...period. Not national championships....not conference championships....but an improvement in team play over time that results in a record that heads toward a .500 record or better.
mainejeff

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics