Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:14 pm

fromthebench wrote:I wish it were only last season. In fact, there hasn't been an out of state player that averaged 10 or more points per game as a freshman or sophomore that finished their career at Maine since...

This goes back to the late 70's when Carlisle and Godbolt left. Over and over and over I've seen it.

fromthebench: Another great example and they transferred after their sophomore years. Didn't Carlisle play with Ralph Sampson at Virginia I believe he did and Godbolt played at Holy Cross. Excellent research.

It has been the Mainers that have averaged double figures 10 or points again that finished their careers at Maine.

Keep up the good work. I'm 1000 percent supporting you.
bcbc55

Postby Carl Parker » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:47 pm

Fromthebench,
I would like to thank-you for the post you started and ,from my perspective,how you look at potential in players and try to project it down the road. You have made some excellent points and that is what helps players to dream and in some cases helps them to raise the bar to reaching a higher level than many think they can.
I also have another list of 8 players who all played H.S. basketball in Maine and played D-1 basketball in the same 4 year period. Joe Campbell, Chris Markwood, Nick Medley. Jamaal Caterina, Ben Earle, Rickey White, Austin Ganley, and Tom Waterman. Also during that time frame there were at least 5 others who received D-2 scholarships and at least 3 of them were 1000 point scorers in college.
Carl Parker

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:01 pm

Carl Parker wrote:Fromthebench,
I would like to thank-you for the post you started and ,from my perspective,how you look at potential in players and try to project it down the road. You have made some excellent points and that is what helps players to dream and in some cases helps them to raise the bar to reaching a higher level than many think they can.
I also have another list of 8 players who all played H.S. basketball in Maine and played D-1 basketball in the same 4 year period. Joe Campbell, Chris Markwood, Nick Medley. Jamaal Caterina, Ben Earle, Rickey White, Austin Ganley, and Tom Waterman. Also during that time frame there were at least 5 others who received D-2 scholarships and at least 3 of them were 1000 point scorers in college.

COACH CARL: THANKS FOR THE GREAT LIST AND FOR THE GREAT, EXCELLENT. KNOWLEDGEABLE, AND TRUTHFUL POST AND YOU KNOW I AGREE WITH YOU AND FROMTHEBENCH 100 PERCENT.

Question: How long will it take for mainebballer and his buddy TAL1957 to attack your post? You have now officially joined our club with this post. I notice they didn't go after your first post I wonder why, must have just missed it and so busy attacking fromthebench, mainejeff and me and our posts.

They think that no one can have an opinion about D-1 basketball unless they agree 10000% with them and their theories.

CIM
bcbc55

Postby LennyH » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:28 pm

Mainebballer wrote:
Carl Parker wrote:Sean Mcnally, Troy Barnies, Tom Knight, Indiana Faithful, Keegan Hyland, Sean Costigan, Mark Socoby, Jordan Cook.

Helps prove my point:
- McNally, Barnies, Knight and Socoby all legit D-I players, obviously. But, McNally's last year was 2009-10, and Knight's was 2013-14 ... so those 4 fall in a 5-year period, not a 4-year period.

Before you go get so full of your self - Bryant Barr - Davidson, Carlos Strong - BU all in that time frame. Hard to argue they weren't DI contributors...Having coached him and knowing what he did at National Events - Jon McAllian could have been a contributor if used correctly...
LennyH

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:55 pm

LennyH wrote:
Mainebballer wrote:
Carl Parker wrote:Sean Mcnally, Troy Barnies, Tom Knight, Indiana Faithful, Keegan Hyland, Sean Costigan, Mark Socoby, Jordan Cook.

Helps prove my point:
- McNally, Barnies, Knight and Socoby all legit D-I players, obviously. But, McNally's last year was 2009-10, and Knight's was 2013-14 ... so those 4 fall in a 5-year period, not a 4-year period.

Before you go get so full of your self - Bryant Barr - Davidson, Carlos Strong - BU all in that time frame. Hard to argue they weren't DI contributors...Having coached him and knowing what he did at National Events - Jon McAllian could have been a contributor if he had been used properly....

Lenny: Thanks for the support. Now you probably will be on mainebballers and TAL1957 list of Mainer's who know nothing about D-1 basketball at all.

Agree that Jon McAllian could have been a contributor if he had been used properly.

The same could be said for Socoby if Maine had used him correctly also. If they had he probably would have played his senior year.

Tough enough to play in D-1 successfully, but it is especially extra tough if you are played out-of-position which several Mainers were during Woodward's tenure.

Thinking
Socoby at point not shooting guard
Bernal at off guard not point guard
Barnies at off guard not small forward
Cooke at Post if he had stayed
McNally OK at big forward

If 3-2 set
Socoby at point
Bernal and Barnies at the wing
McNally and Cooke on the blocks

If 2-3 set
Socoby at point
Bernal at off guard
McNally and Barnies at Forwards
Cooke on the block

Incidentally all but Bernal is a Mainer but did play at Hyde School in HS and all in the same class if I remember correctly.

Thanks again Lenny.

CIM
bcbc55

Postby Carl Parker » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:34 pm

Lenny ,

All three were excellent additions that I did not remember and makes it over 8 in that time period.

Thanks
Carl Parker

Postby fromthebench » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:49 pm

You're very welcome and thank you Coach Parker for your list. The Maine kids have certainly represented well and a lot of great memories over the years! The two biggest failures IMO were not offering John Wassenburgh and Tyler Macfarland. Both guys wanted to go to Maine and the team flat out stunk without them. Eight wasted years. Let's hope they don't drop the ball on Moss. His ability to create offense and run a team is a rare talent.
fromthebench

Postby Carl Parker » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:09 pm

Maine baller,
I am not picking sides. I just have a belief that there are more kids in Maine that can play at a higher level than many in Maine think. Are there 4 or 5 each year? No,but there are more than many think.
I also believe if we set the bar high ,we have the right coaching and encouragement that players have a chance to get there. Let kids dream and strive and when decision time comes be realistic with players,because as you know,college coaches determine a H.S. players destination and ceiling.
P.S. Rickey White was 1st team all conference his last year.
Last edited by Carl Parker on Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carl Parker

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Carl, Lenny, and fromthebench:

I agree with all three of you that some Maine players could play at UMaine. I think you could find 2 a year that could contribute in a major way over their 4 year careers. It is called developing players that you recruit, especially bigs.

I've said for years that the following formula for recruiting would do at least as well as that has happened the past 7 or 8 years.

Recruits.................Frosh-Soph-Jr---Sr...Totals
2 Mainers each year....2......2....2....2.......8*
2/3 international or
out-of-staters............1......1....1....0.......3*
Walkon tryouts...........1......1....0....1......3
totals...............................................14
* scholarship players..International/out-of-staters to fill the needs that the Mainers dont fill, usually bigs over 6'8"

Again just my opinion, but opinions are like noses, everyone has one and everyone has the right to those opinions, regardless of what other people's opinions are even if they don't agree with each others opinions we should do it with respect.

But it is evident that some posters on this thread certainly don't do or don't even want to try to do.

CIM
Last edited by bcbc55 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bcbc55

Postby LennyH » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:31 pm

Mainebballer wrote:
....Let's start with Lenny's list.
First, Bernal is not a Maine-bred product.
Some of the others ... IF THEY WERE USED PROPERLY?
You think coaches don't try to use players properly?
Do people who inhabit message boards ... and, yes, that includes me ... think they know more than D-I college coaches?
Anyone who is a real coach here, please jump in on that contention.....

So let me respond. I have coached Varsity HS, Asst. DIII College and for many years top Maine Kids (including Caner-Medley) at National Level events. Don't profess to have all the answers, but I have seen my fair share of basketball and most definitely DI Talent over the years. (mostly on the other guys bench)

First, Bernal was not on my list, not sure where you saw that. So with all your Incredible wisdom, you don't believe a coach ever used a player improperly??? Are you kidding me??? Isiah Thomas was a throw in Trade Deadline Deal that is talked about now as a MVP Candidate, did his Coach use him properly? The player I mentioned, McAllian, had multiple DI offers and would have had more had he played the game more. He chose Maine because it was in his backyard. I knew in an instant it was the wrong decision, style of play did not fit his game. Often times a coach gets fixated on what players CAN'T do, instead of what they CAN do, I have seen this at ever level of basketball. Did the coach do it on purpose? Of course not, but does not mean it didn't happen.

Second, you think because someone wears the moniker "Division I Coach" they somehow are inherently smarter and know the game better than others? I will give you two stories from when I used to attend the Nike Coaches Clinics. 1st is Bobby Cremins coached at Georgia Tech for years, I believe at least one Final Four appearance. He was doing a lecture on the 2-3 Zone, I sat with my notebook open, 25 year old Varsity Coach, ready to take notes and learn what ever I could. What followed was the most incoherent 30 minutes of rambling I have ever heard. I sat at disbelief that this guy was coaching anything above Middle School basketball.

2nd I was Bobby Huggins who at the time was the Cincinnati Head Coach early on in his career. In the Q and A that followed, someone asked him what it took to be a DI Coach. His answer, to summarize, "Luck, right place - right time, head coach leaving, etc... than he said "Listen there are probably 100 high school coaches all over the mid west who know more about basketball than I do, it's not all about what you know, it's about taking opportunities and building on it and working your ass off..

So yeah coaches use kids improperly at every level and yeah there are people out there (and a few on this board :) )who are not "DI Coaches" who have an idea or two about the sport that makes sense.
LennyH

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics