Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Postby fromthebench » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:56 pm

Reading the posts on here over time there just seems to be a common (fairly negative) thread about why we don't or can't produce more D1 players. If you look at rosters from across the country, I'd say one reason is because we're really the only state U that doesn't have a ton of local players on the state team. We're also very negative about our home grown talent.

I think the former policy of only offering a Maine kid after someone else has offered them is flawed and I applaud Coach Walsh for being the first and only D1 program to offer Andrew Fleming. That worked out pretty good. Let's face it, no other D1 program offered him and by the logic I've seen on here that should have meant he wasn't good enough. There was no recruiting buzz about him at all. Maybe we're overlooking others.

In closing, I think we need some positivity about Maine players and we need to encourage not disparage them to reach higher. Be more like Brad Stevens and focus on what they can do and have them do that! It sure as heck won't happen with negativity.
fromthebench

Postby parquetfloor » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:10 pm

fromthebench wrote:Reading the posts on here over time there just seems to be a common (fairly negative) thread about why we don't or can't produce more D1 players. If you look at rosters from across the country, I'd say one reason is because we're really the only state U that doesn't have a ton of local players on the state team.

So...Maine can't or doesn't produce more D1 players because the state university team doesn't have a ton of local players???? That makes a lot of sense.

Seriously, the game of college basketball in today's world is pretty fast paced and highly athletic. Not to take anything away from the Maine HS players, but there just aren't a lot of highly athletic players in the state, especially when compared with other states. I mean, you can't even compare Maine and/or the roster of the state school with the vast majority of other states like Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, California, etc. The population base as well as the sheer number of kids makes that a comparison that is much more akin to apples vs oranges.

On the flip side, I would venture to say that the number of D1 kids from states like New Hampshire and Vermont is probably closer to Maine as well as the number of in-state players on those rosters.
parquetfloor

Postby Carl Parker » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:10 pm

Sean Mcnally, Troy Barnies, Tom Knight, Indiana Faithful, Keegan Hyland, Sean Costigan, Mark Socoby, Jordan Cook.
Carl Parker

Postby Blind Zebra » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:24 pm

In the mid to late 90's Maine produced several D-1 prospects:
Andy Bedard- BC/Maine
TJ Cauoette- Villanova
Josh Nash- Maine (Injuries derailed career)
Danny Dahl- UNC Wilmington
Matt Kinney- Pro Baseball (offered by UVM baseball & basketball)
Dale Landrith- Hartford
Rickey White- Maine
Austin Ganly- UNH

Having attended the Northern ME tournament this year, the quality of play is on the decline and has been for the last 15 years. I didn't see any can't miss D-1 prospects. The most impressive prospects I saw were D3 players in my estimation ( Taylor Schildroth and James Mersereau). I can't speak on the So. Maine kids, as I haven't seen them play.
I like to see Maine target Maine players if they are worthy of a scholarship. If they can get a couple of developmental/ preferred walk ons from Maine, I have no problem with it. Maine has had a few kids like this over the years. Some didn't work out and transferred to D3, others like Jason Hight, Todd Tibbetts and Joe Campbell came in and busted their butts and eventually earned playing time and scholarships.
We have to remember that Maine is competing in low level D-1. Big difference between the America East and the ACC. Coach Walsh is charged with finding diamonds in the rough, over looked players, looking for someone he can develop in 2 to 3 years to be a contributor in a major rebuild. He's had 2 solid recruiting classes. Last year's class was gutted with the transfers. This year he has Fleming and Eze, two solid prospects that can be America East starters. A third in Danny Evans who can be a decent contributor off the bench. He has some others on the roster who are D2 & D3 players. Walsh needs to replace the departing players with legitimate prospects. Whether from Maine or Senegal. Best route is overseas & Canada in my opinion. Follow the Leichner/Barron model. Keep looking for high major transfers as well. It is the best method to bring hidden talent to Orono. Picking up scraps from the national juco scene and trying to land legit talent from Metro NY is probably not a sustainable way to rebuild the roster.
Blind Zebra

Postby fromthebench » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:02 pm

Good post Zebra and that's all I'm saying. You got to find that diamond in the rough. I think Bol, Casale and/or McDevitt are worth taking a look at. Might be a Hight or Campbell in that bunch. Might not but why not look? Go Maine!
fromthebench

Postby TAL1957 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:34 pm

Nice post by the Zebra, and also the follow by the bench. Be nice if we could kinda keep the discussion more along that nature and tone. THANKS BZ !!!! A very nice respite - Owe ya one (x.10 ?). :D :D :D
TAL1957

Postby fromthebench » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Agreed and nice tv clip on Fleming by Dave Eid on Ch. 13 tonight. Fleming credits "Maine Pride " as a big reason for his success. Yet another reason to recruit Players from Maine!
fromthebench

Postby fromthebench » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:07 pm

That's all well and good but you must acknowledge that an out of stater that achieves any level of success in a Maine uniform as a freshman or sophomore will transfer out. Out of staters tend to use Maine as a stepping stone. They have no pride in or attachment to our state. It's just a place to build a resume.

The only out of staters that stay are transfers who are running out of eligibility and role players who have no other options. Recruit in state and you have five years to get a kid to their potential.
fromthebench

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:49 pm

Fromthebench: Agree with all of your posts except prep school vs. red shirt. But other than that we are definitely on the same page about everything else pertaining to the current UMaine men's basketball program.

Also, I agree with mainejeff and Carl Parker so that probably puts them and you in the same know nothing about D-1 basketball people here on MBR as me in mainebballers opinion, who as you know is the self proclaimed D-1 basketball expert about everything about D-1 basketball from no or very little at the most D-1 basketball talent in Maine to shooting in D-1 basketball.

However. our little know nothing group is growing as I think we are up to 4 now. Tie a knot at the end of our D-1 thinking rope and HANG ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

Remember, there is strength in numbers even if it is a small number.
bcbc55

Postby fromthebench » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:05 pm

I wish it were only last season. In fact, there hasn't been an out of state player that averaged 10 or more points per game as a freshman or sophomore that finished their career at Maine since...

This goes back to the late 70's when Carlisle and Godbolt left. Over and over and over I've seen it.
fromthebench

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics