Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Postby fromthebench » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:20 pm

Lol! Not at Maine it isn't! :)
fromthebench

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:45 pm

fromthebench wrote:Lol! Not at Maine it isn't! :)

frothebench: Couldn't agree more with your statement above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bcbc55

Postby fromthebench » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:12 pm

I couldn't resist! :)
fromthebench

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:56 pm

mainejeff and from the bench:

Just ignore D-1's self declared D-1 basketball know it all expert's posts. They are not worth reading as you will always be wrong in what you post and he will tell you and all the MBR readers that read your posts and his posts that too.......unless, of course, he agrees with you, but it's usually more like if you agree with him.
bcbc55

Postby fromthebench » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:20 am

Sorry to disappoint you Maineballer but been there done that. Coaching AAU was a big part of my earlier life and I've taken teams to all sorts of national championships. I also used to spend my summers coaching at a major east coast camp (Not in Maine) for blue chip prospects where part of my job was to...wait for it...write up evaluations on players for the D-1 and D-2 coaches in attendance. Oh well, Maine is the only place where no one listens to me and look at all the success they've had. :)
fromthebench

Postby fromthebench » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:06 am

Oh Maineballer, I will grant you this. The three players I mentioned are solid D2 recruits right now. (Which is one level above UMaine) I'm saying with a redshirt year and good coaching they have the potential to become D-1 UMaine players. (Just like football) They do. Just for once I'd like to see Maine bring in some local redshirts that actually have the potential to develop and help the team. Usually it's a 5'8" point guard or someone from a small school. Practice players at best. The guys I list are tall, can handle the ball and create offense and played in greater Portland. They also have all played years of AAU with or against Andrew Fleming type players and can compete. IMO
fromthebench

Postby fromthebench » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:44 am

Good points, but I would also add this. The players I list are graduating at 17-18. As you know, virtually 100% of out of state players reclassify, are held back a year by their parents or both. If these players were coming back next year as seniors we wouldn't be having this discussion. They would all be heavily recruited. Gotta look at potential and upside.

Also, what's the downside from calling up a kid and offering him a chance to walk-on and redshirt? The kid and his family are thrilled, you've spread good will in your home state and if they go elsewhere and take the D2 or D3 route you can say "Hey, I offered him a chance to come here?" Your bases are covered and you come out looking good IMO. :)
fromthebench

Postby fromthebench » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:46 am

Good point on Tanner Hyland. He was a D3 prospect when he graduated. The Prep year raised him to D2 and a scholarship. I've followed him closely. I think he proves my point of a physically immature kid raising his stock with an extra year to grow and mature.
The kids I've mentioned are D2 prospects, a prep (or redshirt year) would raise them to America East D1 IMO
Look, the football team does this every year and believe it or not, just like the 4-5 Maine kids who forego a D2 or D3 sure thing to walk on the football team, there are Maine kids who would like to step up to the challenge in hoops too. They might surprise you.
fromthebench

Postby fromthebench » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:22 am

Then why do they do it in football?

I never had Tanner Hyland as a D1 player, he did well to get to D2 and should be commended.

To me the one thing that stands out about D1 players is can they dunk with ease. The players I advocate can.

Let's compare walk-ons at Maine and you tell me who'd you'd rather have on the team and why?

Orono's 6'1" Guard Garvey Melmud or SoPo's 6'5" Ruay Bol

Washburn's 6'2" Mitch Worcester or Cheverus 6'5" Jack Casale

New Gloucester's 6'5" Peter Westra or Greely's 6'7" Matt McDevitt
fromthebench

Postby TAL1957 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:29 am

fromthebench wrote: Look, the football team does this every year and believe it or not, just like the 4-5 Maine kids who forego a D2 or D3 sure thing to walk on the football team, there are Maine kids who would like to step up to the challenge in hoops too. They might surprise you. Then why do they do it in football?
fromthebench wrote: Then why do they do it in football?

Okay, I "looked", and I saw that the situation, possibilities (probabilities) and opportunities with 1AA football are in No Way Comparable to D1 basketball. Not even close, in virtually all aspects (e.g., nature of the sport, learning curve, number of players/scholarships, etc., etc., etc.).
Don't really have an opinion about the discussion re: prep school ? for HS basketball players, although I will note that some "kids" want to get on with life (i.e., move forward toward becoming a college student, young adult and college graduate) sooner rather than later, rather than postpone college, where they then may take another five years before they graduate (i.e., as a redshirt who still plays four years) ?
Not sayin' one approach is better than the other, just that some kids don't want to spend another year in HS before getting on with their college education just so they can perhaps sit on the bench for a low-level D1 basketball team. ?? Jus' sayin' ??
TAL1957

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics