Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:27 pm

LennyH wrote:
Mainebballer wrote:
....Let's start with Lenny's list.
First, Bernal is not a Maine-bred product.
Some of the others ... IF THEY WERE USED PROPERLY?
You think coaches don't try to use players properly?
Do people who inhabit message boards ... and, yes, that includes me ... think they know more than D-I college coaches?
Anyone who is a real coach here, please jump in on that contention.....

So let me respond. I have coached Varsity HS, Asst. DIII College and for many years top Maine Kids (including Caner-Medley) at National Level events. Don't profess to have all the answers, but I have seen my fair share of basketball and most definitely DI Talent over the years. (mostly on the other guys bench)

First, Bernal was not on my list, not sure where you saw that. So with all your Incredible wisdom, you don't believe a coach ever used a player improperly??? Are you kidding me??? Isiah Thomas was a throw in Trade Deadline Deal that is talked about now as a MVP Candidate, did his Coach use him properly? The player I mentioned, McAllian, had multiple DI offers and would have had more had he played the game more. He chose Maine because it was in his backyard. I knew in an instant it was the wrong decision, style of play did not fit his game. Often times a coach gets fixated on what players CAN'T do, instead of what they CAN do, I have seen this at ever level of basketball. Did the coach do it on purpose? Of course not, but does not mean it didn't happen.

Second, you think because someone wears the moniker "Division I Coach" they somehow are inherently smarter and know the game better than others? I will give you two stories from when I used to attend the Nike Coaches Clinics. 1st is Bobby Cremins coached at Georgia Tech for years, I believe at least one Final Four appearance. He was doing a lecture on the 2-3 Zone, I sat with my notebook open, 25 year old Varsity Coach, ready to take notes and learn what ever I could. What followed was the most incoherent 30 minutes of rambling I have ever heard. I sat at disbelief that this guy was coaching anything above Middle School basketball.

2nd I was Bobby Huggins who at the time was the Cincinnati Head Coach early on in his career. In the Q and A that followed, someone asked him what it took to be a DI Coach. His answer, to summarize, "Luck, right place - right time, head coach leaving, etc... than he said "Listen there are probably 100 high school coaches all over the mid west who know more about basketball than I do, it's not all about what you know, it's about taking opportunities and building on it and working your ass off..

So yeah coaches use kids improperly at every level and yeah there are people out there (and a few on this board :) )who are not "DI Coaches" who have an idea or two about the sport that makes sense.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Lenny: Excellent response you get a A++++++++++++++.

I couldn't AGREE MORE with everything that you said in your above post.

Are you sure you aren't also a lawyer?

I would hire you in minute to defend any long time Maine experienced basketball person as a NOT BEING A COMPLETE know nothing person who knows nothing about basketball at the D-1 level just because their basketball experience has not been at the D-1 level.

You made an excellent case AGAINST THE PLAINTIFF, MAINEBBALLER WHO FIRMLY BELIEVES HE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY KNOWS WHAT D-1 basketball is all about and that thinks some of us "hicks in the sticks" know nothing about the inner workings and outer workings of D-1 basketball.

I certainly would go along with Carl Parker and you with both of your AAU knowledge/coaching at the state level and both of your AAU knowledge/coaching experience at the national level in evaluating Maine's own D-1 talent over the years and today also.

Thanks for making a very professional and persuasive
case for the talent level of Maine High School basketball players and that not all D-1 coaches are all knowing and perfect and neither are some people here on MBR.

Thanks for helping out an old senior basketball citizen by expressing some of his thoughts but who just couldn't get them altogether to express them like you did in your eloquent and outstanding support for supporting Maine basketball players at all levels.

Lenny, again a very warm and sincere thank you.

Well done.
bcbc55

Postby fromthebench » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:43 pm

Good post Lenny, if I had one word to describe what I've generally seen from Maine over the years it would be "hubris" They know everything, us dumb Mainers know nothing and we should trust them because they're D1 and that's too high and almighty for us ignorant rednecks to comprehend. It's a simple game. What that's word for doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? Oh yeah, insanity! :)
fromthebench

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:14 pm

fromthebench wrote:Good post Lenny, if I had one word to describe what I've generally seen from Maine over the years it would be "hubris" They know everything, us dumb Mainers know nothing and we should trust them because they're D1 and that's too high and almighty for us ignorant rednecks to comprehend. It's a simple game. What that's word for doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? Oh yeah, insanity! :)

fromthebench: Thanks for the very truthful support post for us "basketball hicks in the basketball sticks" or as you put it "basketball rednecks of Maine".

There are DIFFERENT WAYS TO RUN A BASKETBALL PROGRAM, regardless of the level. There is just not one solution to any basketball situation or the problem.

As you said, "Basketball is a simple game". Whichever team puts the round ball into the round hoop which is twice as big as the ball the most times WINS.

The ball is still 9" in diameter, the rim is still 18" in diameter, the rim is 10 feet from the floor and the foul line is still 13'9" from the center of the rim in any regulation gym in the world.

Thanks for the interest, support and your input on the subject of D-1 basketball at UMaine.
bcbc55

Postby fromthebench » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:07 am

Anyway, Jack Casale is headed to St. Joe's D3
I also saw McDevitt is only 17 and his Dad coaches at St. Joe's (gotta love a Coaches kid)
Bol's family moved to Windham (where St. Joe's is)
If these three all end up at St. Joe's I predict an NCAA berth in three years
And, I predict they'll beat Maine in a pre-season exhibition. (in three years)
At the D3 level these guys will all play right away and they are close to friends and family, Simonds and Gilpin both chose D3, played right away and are getting great educations. Both could've helped Maine, but it might have taken a year a two.

Potential is the hardest thing to predict but, those are the type of guys that could've grown into America East players IMO. However, we must respect that they all had the option to take that route (there's nothing to stop a kid from calling up Walsh and asking if they can walk-on) and picked a different route. It's a lot to ask of a kid to join a team knowing you might not play for a couple years (if at all) I also think Maine did reach out to some of these kids but as Mainebballer pointed out, they can't comment.
fromthebench

Postby thebam » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:04 am

So as to not scroll thru 6 pages of rants .. did anyone mention Darren Mastrapaolo from Falmouth? He had a modicum of success for 4 years at Bucknell, including some NCAA tourney appearances ( at least 1).
thebam

Postby thebam » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:53 pm

Mainebballer wrote:
thebam wrote:So as to not scroll thru 6 pages of rants .. did anyone mention Darren Mastrapaolo from Falmouth? He had a modicum of success for 4 years at Bucknell, including some NCAA tourney appearances ( at least 1).

For Maine to be good, it needs players capable of 15-to-18 ppg. scoring.

Good luck with that. I went back to 2001-02 and only found 5 , including this year with Myers, that averaged more than 16 ppg. Never more than 1 player per season to avg more than 16. The drought is real.
thebam

Previous

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics