Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Postby fromthebench » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:58 pm

Lots of conversation on why MBB should have more Mainers on the squad. I agree and here's what I would do.
If I was the Maine Men's coach I would offer preferred walk-on/redshirt to the top two or three players in Maine every year. I would call them personally and tell them come on up and if you're good enough we'll discuss a scholarship in year two.

This year:
Ruay Bol SoPo, 6'5" wing. Does Maine have any 6'5" wings that are long, fast, can shoot, run and dunk with ease? I didn't think so and hey, Rufus Harris was only 6'3".
Jack Casale Cheverus 6'5" Guard, still only 17, can play the point, unconscious shooter with a mean streak and dunks with ease. Does Maine have anyone like this on their current roster? Nope.
Matt McDevitt Greely 6'7" Guard. Was watching him play point guard for Greely tonight. He can dribble, pass and shoot and likes to run. He's quick and can knock down a pull up jumper from three. Does Maine have any 6'7" players that can even handle the ball?

Anyway, put these guys in the weight room and give them a redshirt year and I'll guarantee at least one earns a scholarship and becomes a rotation player. Do this every year and you've got a much stronger program.

Next year. If Maine doesn't secure the services of Terion Moss they should disband the program. This guy has played AAU against D-1 guys from across the country and his impact at Maine would be huge. Offer him now. After AAU season you won't have the option.

Anyway, that's my take. I welcome your opinions.
fromthebench
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:15 pm

fromthebench wrote:Lots of conversation on why MBB should have more Mainers on the squad. I agree and here's what I would do.
If I was the Maine Men's coach I would offer preferred walk-on/redshirt to the top two or three players in Maine every year. I would call them personally and tell them come on up and if you're good enough we'll discuss a scholarship in year two.

This year:
Ruay Bol SoPo, 6'5" wing. Does Maine have any 6'5" wings that are long, fast, can shoot, run and dunk with ease? I didn't think so and hey, Rufus Harris was only 6'3".
Jack Casale Cheverus 6'5" Guard, still only 17, can play the point, unconscious shooter with a mean streak and dunks with ease. Does Maine have anyone like this on their current roster? Nope.
Matt McDevitt Greely 6'7" Guard. Was watching him play point guard for Greely tonight. He can dribble, pass and shoot and likes to run. He's quick and can knock down a pull up jumper from three. Does Maine have any 6'7" players that can even handle the ball?

Anyway, put these guys in the weight room and give them a redshirt year and I'll guarantee at least one earns a scholarship and becomes a rotation player. Do this every year and you've got a much stronger program.

Next year. If Maine doesn't secure the services of Terion Moss they should disband the program. This guy has played AAU against D-1 guys from across the country and his impact at Maine would be huge. Offer him now. After AAU season you won't have the option.

Anyway, that's my take. I welcome your opinions.


ftb: Good post. Interesting concept. I'd prefer that they go to prep school for a year after high school. That way you would know what level of D- they belong if they do.

Although mainebballer would say no Mainers are in most cases, except maybe not Nick Mayo.

Now you probably going to be on his not no anything about D-1 college basketball list.

You now officially on mainebballers no nothing list
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Postby fromthebench » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:32 pm

Thx bcbc, I prefer redshirting. Prep is expensive and these kids aren't going to get scholarships. Plus, if they prep they'll go elsewhere.

Anyway, isn't this what Maine football has been doing for years and with great success?
Every year they bring in 4-5 Mainers on partials or preferred walk-on status. They redshirt them and go from there.
Trevor Bates went from a $1000 partial scholarship to the NFL.
Matt Mulligan went from Husson (low level D3) to Maine to the NFL.
It works in football, why wouldn't it work in basketball?

Plus, by making the offer, the Maine coaching staff can shut up all the critics that say they ignore good Maine prospects.

Mainers biggest disadvantage is they tend to graduate on time at age 17 or 18 compared to out of staters who are 19 or 20. The redshirt year lets them catch up and keeps them in state. As I said before. It's worked great in football. Why not hoops?
fromthebench
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:38 pm

fromthebench wrote:Thx bcbc, I prefer redshirting. Prep is expensive and these kids aren't going to get scholarships. Plus, if they prep they'll go elsewhere.

Anyway, isn't this what Maine football has been doing for years and with great success?
Every year they bring in 4-5 Mainers on partials or preferred walk-on status. They redshirt them and go from there.
Trevor Bates went from a $1000 partial scholarship to the NFL.
Matt Mulligan went from Husson (low level D3) to Maine to the NFL.
It works in football, why wouldn't it work in basketball?

Plus, by making the offer, the Maine coaching staff can shut up all the critics that say they ignore good Maine prospects.

Mainers biggest disadvantage is they tend to graduate on time at age 17 or 18 compared to out of staters who are 19 or 20. The redshirt year lets them catch up and keeps them in state. As I said before. It's worked great in football. Why not hoops?


ftb: Football is a numbers game. Don't like red-shirting because if you want to transfer to another D-1 school you end up with just 5 years to play just 3.

Plus, prep school you can get scholarships if you know who to contact. Never had any trouble getting scholarships for my D-1 prospects and even for other teams D-1 prospects.

Red-shirting traps you to a program unless you wish to lose a year. Do you think Vann, Little, Eke would have transfered if they had red shirted at Maine their freshmen years?

Again just my opinion.

How much did Eze and Ashley really improve with a red-shirt year?
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Postby fromthebench » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:52 pm

Basketball is a numbers game and this model isn't mine. Brad Stevens used it at Butler. He brought in a 6'8" tennis player and turned him into an NBA star. Modern coaches need to find players with potential and develop them.
The Celtics do it now.

The players you mentioned were out of staters, older, physically mature and with no additional upside. They were as good as they were going to get.

The Maine players I mentioned are young and not yet at their peak athleticism.
If Maine wants to break through they need to find guys with potential and develop it. Their best bet is here in Maine where no one else recruits.

Anyway, I too am unorthodox and if I was coaching Maine this is one aspect of what I would do to spread a large net and find that diamond in the rough while building a positive relationship with the Maine basketball community.
fromthebench
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:11 pm

fromthebench wrote:Basketball is a numbers game and this model isn't mine. Brad Stevens used it at Butler. He brought in a 6'8" tennis player and turned him into an NBA star. Modern coaches need to find players with potential and develop them.
The Celtics do it now.

The players you mentioned were out of staters, older, physically mature and with no additional upside. They were as good as they were going to get.

The Maine players I mentioned are young and not yet at their peak athleticism.
If Maine wants to break through they need to find guys with potential and develop it. Their best bet is here in Maine where no one else recruits.

Anyway, I too am unorthodox and if I was coaching Maine this is one aspect of what I would do to spread a large net and find that diamond in the rough while building a positive relationship with the Maine basketball community.


ftb: Agree with everything about yur post except the first paragraph. But that's just a difference of opinions. Agreeing to disagree.

Brad Stevens is the Popovich of the east as he runs his Celtics just like Pop does the Spurs in the West nd how he ran his Butler coach.

Brad Stevens One of the few D-1 or NBA coaches that actually develop players after they get them at both the pro and D-1 levels. That is what separates the great coaches like Stevens and Popovich from all the rest of the other "Supervisors of Substitutions". They coach their players to be basketball players playing basket, develop high Basketball IQ's to make excellent basketball decisions by playing from the shoulders up not from the shoulders down like most athlete trying to play basketball.....a la Magic and Larry who were not athletes playing basketball, but basketball players playing basketball from the shoulders up.

Excellent post and right on target ftb.

Not many D-1 coaches develop their players once they get them.

Looks like maybe we should team up as there is strength in numbers. I need all the help I can get being as unorthodox in my basketball thinking from day one as a player.

Blind Zebra, you and I would make a good working trio together as we three have a tendency to think alike on this University of Maine D-1 college basketball thread.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Postby fromthebench » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:31 pm

It's all good. Me, I would look for good basketball players who haven't physically matured fully to redshirt. They have upside. With a good conditioning coach you can turn a good basketball player into an athlete. I've never thought you could turn an athlete with limited skills into much of a ball player and wouldn't waste a redshirt year on them.
fromthebench
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:46 pm

fromthebench wrote:It's all good. Me, I would look for good basketball players who haven't physically matured fully to redshirt. They have upside. With a good conditioning coach you can turn a good basketball player into an athlete. I've never thought you could turn an athlete with limited skills into much of a ball player and wouldn't waste a redshirt year on them.


ftb: Isn't that what a good high school coach does?

Develop players by coaching and teaching them.? My best high school players were usually "late bloomers".

The more you post the more I think we think alike. The more I think about your red-shirt idea the more I am beginning to like it....not sure I like it more then the year of prep after high school, but I may be getting closer to your way of thinking with each post you make.

Finally, someone who thinks some like I do, even if most everybody else thinks we maybe UNORTHODOX, I don't think I am, I know I am. Ever since I started playing this great game in the second grade some 72 years ago.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Postby fromthebench » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:58 am

Thx bcbc, the three guys I mentioned are the classic late bloomer types. With good coaching, their best days are ahead of them.

Maine has traditionally dropped the ball on in state talent.
They didn't want Tyler Macfarland (Bentley's all time leading scorer 28 pts vs BC) or John Wassenburgh (ten year pro)They never noticed Derek Vogel (another ten year pro)

This isn't second guessing, I said this at the time. Oh well, you know what they say about advice. "Wise men don't need it and fools won't heed it!" :)
fromthebench
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: Mainers at Maine: Three I'd take

Postby KVAC_GURU » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:55 pm

There's a reason Maine high school players don't end up playing D1 basketball... Because they can't. You think the UMaine coaches just decide not too offer them? Just like, "Nah, I don't want Maine kids." D2 and D3 basketball is great, but D1 is a whooolllleeee different level, man.
KVAC_GURU
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Next

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fafan, Google [Bot], turkeyman and 51 guests