MEMO TO: Mainebballer & TAL1957 FROM: UNORTHODOX CIM

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

MEMO TO: Mainebballer & TAL1957 FROM: UNORTHODOX CIM

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:03 pm

Mainebballer and TAL1957 it has been fun. But I am an unorthodox person.

Was an unorthodox player, an unorthodox coach, an unorthodox official, an unorthodox writer and an unorthodox thinker as well.

Have always usually been told that I'm not doing things right because am very unorthodox about the way I approach anything having to do with or about the game of basketball.

But still managed to be somewhat successful despite not having any help from critics like you two.

Seeing that what UMaine men's program has been doing for the past 2 plus seasons and several seasons before that whatever they are attempting to do is not working at all. So I have just been suggesting something else. As I said before, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity and in this case 'BASKETBALL INSANITY'.

Have a right to my opinion don't I? After all it is America and we are supposed to have the right of freedom of speech. aren't we? Well it's my opinion as have stated before that:

1. Could do as well as Maine has done the last 2 plus years by recruiting and getting the two best Maine players each year.

2. Then using 3 scholarships for out-of-state or international recruits to fill in the needed skill positions that the Maine players don't provide.

3. Recruit Maine players by telling them and their parents that Maine is very interested in improving their chances of playing D-1 basketball and to do that they have to go to prep school after graduating from HS for them to have a really good chance at being successful in D-1.

Maine really wants them at UMaine but Maine will take the chance that you might end up at a higher level then Maine because of your performance in prep school...Maine then will be very disappointed but feel great for you being able to get a scholarship to a D-1 school higher up the ranks then Maine at 324, but if you ever might want to return to Maine give Maine a call as Maine usually has 2 or 3 scholarships available and might be able to work something out.

4. With 8 scholarships for Maine players, 3 for outsiders and 3 walk on players from on campus tryouts makes up a 14 man roster.

5. Always have 2-3 scholarships available for unforseen transfers, JUCO's, prep school grads, etc.

6. These are unorthodox ideas and could careless what anybody else says about the unorthodox methods for improving the Maine program by saying and telling recruits and their parents when Maine ever gets to the "BIG DANCE" it is going to be with at least 8 Maine players on the roster making major contributions.

7. Plus, if Maine can't make it any better that what has happened the past 6 years they should try to do it with Maine players and keep the scholarship money in Maine.

8. Maine certainly couldn't do any worse then what has happened the past 2 plus seasons 17-73, 5 transfers, 5 suspended players in less than a year, etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
mainebballer, you and TAL1957 who had the courage to at least reveal his name, have your expert ideas and good for you. You present yours and I present mine and the readers here on MBR that might be interested can decide for themselves what they think.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Got a lot more important work to do, such as a weekly basketball column in the Bangor Daily News every Tuesday from mid November to the end of April, get ready for a off season basketball blog in the BDN and getting a lot of material ready for a Maine biographer who is doing my life's biography in basketball.

At my age, having not much time left, not going to waste anymore time about the different philosophical ideas about how to improve UMaine BBall regardless of what or how you respond with to this final post on this subject.

P.S. Hate to tell you this, Mainebballer, but as a player at Husson, may not have been what you thought could be a D-1 player even in the 50's, but you are just guessing.

Played against those Maine players after college and didn't embarrass myself competing against them and was able to hold my own.

Also, was able to compete successfully against the one player who was considered the best of that group when he was in prep school while playing for Husson.

When we played the Maine freshmen more than held my own in these games.

So played and held my own when playing against the players that would have played with if had transferred to UMaine.

So stick a fork in this argument and different ideas about how to go about making UMaine men's basketball a better product or at least as good as it is now.....as far as I am concerned it is DONE.

Bob ("The Trump") Cimbollek, the unorthodox one!!
Last edited by bcbc55 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:20 am, edited 14 times in total.
bcbc55

Re: MEMO TO: MBB99 AND TAL1957 FROM BCBC55

Postby Mhunt36 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:23 pm

Yawn.
Mhunt36

Re: MEMO TO: Mainebballer & TAL1957 FROM: UNORTHODOX CIM

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:32 pm

mainebballer: All you have to do is watch Walsh "supervise the substitutions" of which there are far too many,

Runs a game like intramurals everybody in the top 10 have got to play double figure minutes. When they are forced to use just 7, because of attrition to injuries, suspensions and such they play better regardless who the 7 are...just look at today's game.

No offense at all, let's players decide the shot selection of who, when and where shot is taken regardless of time and score in game.

His half-time adjustments to what opponents are doing are hardly effective.

His opponents half-time adjustments are far superior and effective.

Continually hollers at officials and his players during games. They pay as much attention to him as I do to you.

How's that for starters?
bcbc55

Postby augie » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:26 pm

It's better to be assumed a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.
augie

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:47 pm

augie wrote:It's better to be assumed a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

augie; You are so right and I removed all that doubt years ago when I started coaching as I was as unorthodox a coach as there possibly could be.

There are many different ways to do things coaching wise.

Aren't there sayings, "Different strokes for different Folks" or what floats your boat may not float my boat", that applies to being unorthodox?

I just happen to chose to use the one that not many others chose to use and do.
bcbc55

Postby turkeyman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:02 am

Cim,

I'm not going to pile on, exactly, but here are a few things that bother me and that I am sure bother other readers and posters.

1. What draws many of us to basketball is its fluidity and flexibility. Basketball is the sports perfection of Newton's third law that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. If I go right when my defender goes to her left, there will be a collision. The usual reaction when my defender goes left is for me to switch and go left, around her right. But all too often, you post ideas that are hard and fast. You treat a fluid and flexible game as if it were an engineering problem. Only give 10+ minutes to seven players. Always recruit two Mainers and then try to find some true D I talent to go with them.

Well, Barron mostly goes nine deep, and he has done all right the past four years. Today at Bangor, I saw a kid from Foxcroft who was a Charles Barkley rebounder. Couldn't shoot a ball into the ocean, but when Foxcroft needed to start pulling down some offensive boards, there she was near the end of the bench. Since Houlton had a size advantage, this kid got probably 10 or 12 minutes. If this kid had never got minutes during the season, she probably wouldn't have been able to stand in against the Shiretowners. On one play, she pulled down three offensive boards, I believe.

Jane Albright coached at Wisconsin for about a decade. Word was that she recruited the two best players she could get every year, then gave the other schollies to Wisconsin kids to ride pine. (Wbb has 15 scholarships. Men's has 13, so fewer to play with.) That did give the Badgers a bit of an in-state flavor, if you looked far enough down the bench. But heaven help her if she needed to go deeper than no. 7 or no. 8 and all she had was kids who got no other D I offers but were from Wisconsin.

2. The difference between levels is increasing all the time on both the women's and the men's side. I believe it is wider on the men's side but is widening on the women's, as well. I don't see many men's games, but when I watch on TV, I am impressed by the athleticism and conditioning of even the guys on the end of the bench. There may not be many men who choose to start at a D III school rather than sit on the bench of a D I team.

On the women's side, there may be more who would. Meg Coffin at Bates probably could have played mid-major D I. But she wanted Bates's academics and she wanted to play soccer, too. I see D III women each year who are one or two attributes away from being able to play D I. Bowdoin has one now in Kate Kerrigan, who is D I in mentality, conditioning, leadership, court sense, etc. But she simply does not have a D I body. And no matter how much time she spends in the weight room, she never will have one. I'm guessing that very few men in D III are within one or two attributes of being D I players. The gap is wide.

3. I believe you underestimate how much the game has changed. Not just the obvious, such as the three-point shot, which made new opportunity both for average-sized people and for wide bodies because, with lower shooting percentages on treys, teams needed more muscle underneath to snag rebounds.

Today, virtually every boy in America is screened by some basketball coach. (On the women's side, we are coming to that point, but there are still hidden gems from time to time.) With all the talent being screened so early, you know the competition for the 4,000 or so uniforms at D I schools is going to be intense. This has changed the game dramatically by elevating the caliber of play among the 350 D I teams.

The best 4,000 go D I. The second 4,000 go D II. Another 4,000 go D III. There isn't much moving between levels, except that some move down to D III or D II (schools not good enough athletically to be D I, not good enough academically to be D III) from D I. The guys on my high school team, which went 23-8 and made states -- in Missouri, we had to win one of 16 regional tournaments of up to 16 teams each to make states-- would not even make any of the teams that played in Bangor or Augusta this week.

4. You present ideas and opinions as facts and you don't yield to opposing facts. We're all susceptible to this, of course. But when you say Doug Leichner could have done the job as interim mbb coach when Woodward was fired, you overlook the facts. Leichner was also fired. In the opinion of the AD of the day, the entire men's bb staff was responsible for what had become of the program. Case closed. Point moot. Give it up.

Cim, you proposed a strategy of recruiting eight Mainers, then using three more scholarships for offshore and flatland players and holding three more for juco and other transfers. That makes 14 scholarships. Where do you get the 14th? And you also want some walk-ons on that team. But you also want only seven of those guys to get significant playing time. With that many guys on the pine, you're going to have some disgruntlement.

You have written so many times now that Maine would do just as well with home-grown players that it is starting to sound like the Big Lie. Say a lie often enough, and people will believe it. Maine and Bob Walsh don't want to do just as well. The whole point is to try to do better. You may be right that eight guys from Maine could have gone 17-73 over the past three years. But this whole exercise began because no one is satisfied with a team that goes 17-73. Someday, maybe Maine will produce more genuine D I prospects. But not any time soon. Did you notice that in 1957, our high school in Missouri played 31 games? The most a team can play in Maine is 22, and then only if it wins a PiG and then goes on to the gold ball, as Hampden boys did a few years ago. If our team had gone deeper into the states, we could have played 33 or even 35 games. Over four years, that's at least 40 more games that kids in Missouri played in 1957 than Maine kids play in 2017. Two seasons' worth. That is the sort of thing that will have to change if Maine is to generate more legitimate D I players. Talk to your nearest MPA member. AAU and travel team is good, but the playing and (usually) coaching conditions are simply not the same. The real learning comes on the school teams, I believe.

5. Proofread. Finally, man, read your work before you hit the submit button. Stackhouse and Stackpole are not the same name. You can't blame this just on being an old faht. At 76, I'm damned near as old as you are, and I learned years ago that if it's going to have my name on it, it's going to be the best I can do at the time. When I taught writing, I taught kids to sweat the small stuff and the big stuff would take care of itself. If you proofread, check name spellings, etc., I believe you'll find that as you go through your writing you will catch stuff you wrote that was just plain wrong. Or silly. Then you correct it, and you have far more credibility with your readers. There, that's enough from the old prof for today.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
Last edited by turkeyman on Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
turkeyman

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:48 am

BOB: Here's the thing, I have never worried about what people think or have thought of me as a basketball person, basketball player, basketball coach, basketball official, basketball author, basketball Radio/TV Color Analyst and basketball columnist, basketball writer or basketball writer.

When I was coaching or officiating the only people I worried about keeping happy was my wife , my kids and myself.

The same goes for what I post here on MBR, write in my Bangor Daily News Weekly basketball column "Off the Rim", every Tuesday from Mid November to the end of April or write on my year long season basketball blog for the BDN.

I'm a non-conformist, unorthodox individual and if people don't like me or don't like what I write then they certainly don't have to deal with me or to read any of my written material. They can just ignore me and my rambling rants as they're called here on MBR by many of my critics. But there is certainly the "freedom of speech and the press" and I use it as I see fit, not how I think people want me to use it.

But they must read it here on MBR especially because I seem to get so many people upset that they have to feel like they just have to respond to my posts.

Why don't they just ignore my posts? What is that old saying, "Bad Publicity is better then no publicity at all" or is it "Bad criticism is better than no criticism at all"?

What people think of me or my writings and a quarter won't buy me cup of hot chocolate that's how valuable their opinions are to me or about me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

By the way why is it people never say negative things to your face and hide behind user names (not referring to you Bob)?

I know why in my case maybe it is because they would have to get in a long, long, long, line and by the time they get to where I was standing, I'll be long, long, gone from this earth at my age.

By the way Enjoyed your critique, but don't hold your breathe before I take any advice from you or any other critic of mine here on MBR.

Boy, but is it fun to stir the pot. Great to see so many MBRers get so upset ABOUT WHAT AN OLD EX PLAYER, OLD EX COACH AND OLD EX OFFICIAL THINKS ABOUT THIS MODERN DAY GAME OF BASKETBALL.

I know you mean well and your intentions are friendly and very good, but this old leopard cannot change his spots even if he wanted to.

oops. darn, I didn't proof read this before I Hit the submit button.
bcbc55

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:01 am

Mr. Cimbollek, let me preface this by saying that I have the utmost respect for you, your wealth of basketball experience, and your contributions to Maine basketball as a player, coach, author, and official.

and if people don't like me or don't like what I write then they certainly don't have to deal with me or to read any of my written material. They can just ignore me and my rambling rants as they're called here on MBR by many of my critics. But there is certainly the "freedom of speech and the press" and I use it as I see fit, not how I think people want me to use it.

Why do dissenting posters have to just ignore you? Should they not try and provide a cogent counterargument? Your attitude seems to discourage good basketball discussion and debate, which, when it occurs, is the most enjoyable aspect of this site for me.

By the way Enjoyed your critique, but don't hold your breathe before I take any advice from you or any other critic of mine here on MBR.

Why not take advice from other posters (like Mr. Neal)? This close-minded attitude demonstrates a complete unwillingness to consider other reasonable points of view. There is always something to learn, even for the most experienced basketball minds, and your statement suggests you have no interest in this pursuit of basketball knowledge. To read this statement from a prospective member of the Maine Basketball Hall of Fame is disappointing to say the least.

In closing, Mr. Neal, I believe it was actually Newton's Third Law that stated that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. :)
MaineBBFan99

Postby turkeyman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:32 am

MB99,

You're right. Third law. I told you I flunked physics in high school. And I didn't fact check before clicking on submit.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby TAL1957 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:12 am

bcbc55 wrote:Mainebballer and TAL1957 it has been fun. !!
Looks like you should add a few more addressees to your "personal" memo to MEbballer and me, eh Coach ? Hope turkeyman didn't feel left out, but he's certainly in with the rest of us fiends now !
bcbc55 wrote: ... I am an unorthodox person. Was an unorthodox player, an unorthodox coach, an unorthodox official, an unorthodox writer and an unorthodox thinker as well.
Have always usually been told that I'm not doing things right because am very unorthodox about the way I approach anything having to do with or about the game of basketball. But still managed to be somewhat successful despite not having any help from critics like you two. ....!!
Hmmm, and you took exactly what away from all of this un-orthodoxy and associated feedback ??? Yeah, .... nothing unfortunately, only that it was unjustified "criticism", and in fact apparently take great pride in this ?
bcbc55 wrote:BOB: Here's the thing, I have never worried about what people think or have thought of me as a basketball person, basketball player, basketball coach, basketball official, basketball author, basketball Radio/TV Color Analyst and basketball columnist, basketball writer or basketball writer.
When I was coaching or officiating the only people I worried about keeping happy was my wife , my kids and myself.
Really ?? What a surprise !! Woulda never pegged you as a self-centered, egotistical narcissist. :lol:

BUT, one thing I do gotta agree with you on is that you are indeed entitled to your opinions. Just wish that you could, and would, express 'em in less than 500 words, and not feel you need to repeat the same thing over, and over, and over again. Ce la vie (or somethin' like that).

Gotta run now, got something more important to do.
Paint is drying and I gotta keep an eye on it :o (that and the maple sap evaporators).
TAL1957

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics