Maine WBB Tournament Schedule

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Maine WBB Tournament Schedule

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:10 pm

With Binghamton's win over Hartford this evening, the Maine women's team clinched either a #4 or #5 seed for next weekend's tournament. It is very likely that Maine's first round opponent will be Binghamton, also its opponent for this weekend's regular season finale. Per the schedule below, the 4/5 match-up will take place 30 minutes after the conclusion of the 12 PM game (which will pit UNH against either VT or Stony Brook).

http://www.americaeast.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14000&ATCLID=211431490
MaineBBFan99

Re: Maine WBB Tournament Schedule

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:16 pm

MaineBBFan99 wrote:With Binghamton's win over Hartford this evening, the Maine women's team clinched either a #4 or #5 seed for next weekend's tournament. It is very likely that Maine's first round opponent will be Binghamton, also its opponent for this weekend's regular season finale. Per the schedule below, the 4/5 match-up will take place 30 minutes after the conclusion of the 12 PM game (which will pit UNH against either VT or Stony Brook).

http://www.americaeast.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14000&ATCLID=211431490

mainebballer99: Thanks for the positive information. Tough to play a team back-to-back though, but at least they have a good chance for a win, compared to the men's chances on the road to either Vermont or Stonybrook.
bcbc55

Postby TAL1957 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:21 pm

bcbc55 wrote: ... Tough to play a team back-to-back though, but at least they have a good chance for a win, compared to the men's chances on the road to either Vermont or Stonybrook.
Ummmm, is it just me, or wouldn't both teams involved be playing "back-to-back", hence equally "tough", supposedly (or easier ?), for both teams, hence irrelevant ? :o

I guess next up is the old standby: Tough to beat a team twice in a row, or three times in a row. ?? :roll:
TAL1957

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:34 pm

TAL1957 wrote:
bcbc55 wrote: ... Tough to play a team back-to-back though, but at least they have a good chance for a win, compared to the men's chances on the road to either Vermont or Stonybrook.
Ummmm, is it just me, or wouldn't both teams involved be playing "back-to-back", hence equally "tough", supposedly (or easier ?), for both teams, hence irrelevant ? :o

I guess next up is the old standby: Tough to beat a team twice in a row, or three times in a row.

TAL1957: Tougher for the higher seeded team as they are the favorites, plus as you stated tough to beat a team back to back or three times.

If Hartford beats Albany they will be in a tie with the loser of the Bing-Maine game at 8-8. Maine holds the tie breaker if they lose because they beat Hartford twice in the regular season and Bing only beat them once so they would have to go to a further tie breaker.

So this is a bigger game for Bing against Maine then for Maine. Winner gets 4th place at 9-7 and depending on the loser there is a possible tie breaker for 5th place. Maine if they beat Bing, Hartford beats Albany then Maine could possibly get Hartford as it is still mathematically possible depending on the Bing-Hartford tie breaker, So more pressure on BINGHAMTON THEN ON MAINE IN THEIR GAME Sunday at the Cross Center.

Now that is a little confusing. Regardless of the outcome of this game Maine is in better shape then Bing is if Bing loses to Maine.

Maine women currently ranked 141st in the NCAA.com RPI rankings. 8-7 in conference play and 15-15 overall.
bcbc55

Postby TAL1957 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:54 am

Wow, just WOW ..... must be a HS coaching thing/philosophy kinda thing.
How the mind can work is truly an amazing thing. Wow. :? :roll:
TAL1957

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:48 am

Bob, based on your response in this thread and your posts in other threads, I think you might be confusing two posters: MaineBBFan99 (me) and Mainebballer.

That distinction having been made, I agree with Mainebballer's comments below. The adage that it's tough to beat a team twice in a row doesn't even apply here. Maine only needs to win the game that really matters - the one on 3/4 in Portland.

Also, Bob, curious what you mean by the idea that it's tougher for the higher seeded team to win as they are the favorites. To some degree, you could argue that there is less pressure on the underdog and they play looser. Though, it is really hard to argue that that dynamic exists in a 4/5 match-up. Overall, it is clearly tougher for the underdog/lower-seeded team to win, hence the reason they are the underdog.

If Maine defeats Binghamton on Sunday and Hartford wins against Albany, I believe Hartford would ultimately hold the tiebreaker over Binghamton (which, since Bing and Hartford split during the regular season, would be based on each team's record against the highest ranked teams in the conference).
MaineBBFan99

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:17 am

MaineBBFan99 wrote:Bob, based on your response in this thread and your posts in other threads, I think you might be confusing two posters: MaineBBFan99 (me) and Mainebballer.

That distinction having been made, I agree with Mainebballer's comments below. The adage that it's tough to beat a team twice in a row doesn't even apply here. Maine only needs to win the game that really matters - the one on 3/4 in Portland.

Also, Bob, curious what you mean by the idea that it's tougher for the higher seeded team to win as they are the favorites. To some degree, you could argue that there is less pressure on the underdog and they play looser. Though, it is really hard to argue that that dynamic exists in a 4/5 match-up. Overall, it is clearly tougher for the underdog/lower-seeded team to win, hence the reason they are the underdog.

If Maine defeats Binghamton on Sunday and Hartford wins against Albany, I believe Hartford would ultimately hold the tiebreaker over Binghamton (which, since Bing and Hartford split during the regular season, would be based on each team's record against the highest ranked teams in the conference).

maineBBfan99: I am extremely sorry that I confused you with mainebballer. That is my bad on my part. Again I apologize, must be my age again getting you 2 confused.

I hope you will accept my sincere apology,

I will change all posts where I have mixed up our names immediately. Thank you for setting me straight.

You ae right if Hartford beats Albany and Maine loses to Bing then Maine gets the 5th slot because hey bat Hartford twice in the regular conference play. However, if Hartford beats Albany and Maine beats Bing then Bing and Hartford will have to go to the second tie breaker that you sted above as Hartford and Bing split during the regular season games.

Your also right that the big game is the one on the quarter-final day at the CIA in Portland which is a tough place to hoot in with it being just a big hockey rink with little if any decent shooting depth background.

Your are right again this game with Bing on this coming Sunday is more important to Bing then it is to Maine because if Hartford beats Albany Maine is in at no worse than 5th with Bing at 4th and Hartford out, but if Maine beats Bing and Hartord beats Albany then Hartford is 5th, Maine 4th and Bing is out.

So really it depends on who Maine would rather play Hartford or Binghamton. If they beat Bing then they get either Bing or Hartford depending on what Hartford does against Albany.

But remember Maine lost to Bing 64-60 at Bing and Sigi played 34 minutes. So Maine probably would rather play Hartford if they had a chance. but if Bing wins Sunday it will be hard for them to beat Maine in back-to-back games and three games in a row. But then Maine has beaten Hartford twice so then they would face the same situation that Bing would have if they beat Maine Sunday.

This is getting too, too, too, confusing for an old timer like me.

I know seedings don't mean to much come tourney time only the team that you are scheduled to play is important. But always felt f there was an advantage to seedings regardless if it is 4-5- 1-8- 2-7 or 3-6 the lower seed has an advantage psychologically as they re lower seeded an probaly a weaker team them the higher seed team who should win by the seeding.

Again thanks for bringing to my attention about how I mixed up you and mainebballer. Again I apologize for my mistake.

But that's why they put erasers on pencils and my pencil many times rips the paper a lot as I get older as I make more mistakes writing or drawing on the paper or hitting the wrong keys here on the computer..
bcbc55

Postby waltwhite » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:25 pm

ABOUT TIME WE GET TO THE REAL GAMES!!!! THE WHOLE SEASON IS AN EXHIBITION!!! NOBODY GETS AN AT LARGE!!! THIS IS WHEN IT COUNTS!!!! I HOPE THEY CAN LIMIT THEIR BOUNCE PASSES. sorry about the all caps...I just get pumped up for MARCH MADNESS!!!! My prediction:

Maine beats BING then beats UNH by 2 then beats ALBANY. Boom roasted. BCB where is my book? Bangor library doesnt have it! I bet it was stolen.

PEACE
waltwhite

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:41 pm

waltwhite wrote:ABOUT TIME WE GET TO THE REAL GAMES!!!! THE WHOLE SEASON IS AN EXHIBITION!!! NOBODY GETS AN AT LARGE!!! THIS IS WHEN IT COUNTS!!!! I HOPE THEY CAN LIMIT THEIR BOUNCE PASSES. sorry about the all caps...I just get pumped up for MARCH MADNESS!!!! My prediction:

Maine beats BING then beats UNH by 2 then beats ALBANY. Boom roasted. BCB where is my book? Bangor library doesnt have it! I bet it was stolen.

PEACE

WW: I could leave my one only copy for you in my will and at my age you could get it sooner than you think.

E-mail the needed information to:

mrp17@roadrunner.com

and I can get that information to my lawyer to put in my will for you.
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:28 am

Saturday, March 4
Quarterfinals Time/Result Coverage TV
GAME 1: No. 1 New Hampshire vs. No. 8 Stony Brook 12:02 PM
GAME 2: No. 4 Maine vs. No. 5 Binghamton 30 mins following
GAME 3: No. 2 Albany seed vs. No. 7 Vermont 6:02 PM
GAME 4: No. 3 UMBC vs. No. 6 Hartford 30 mins following

Sunday, March 5
GAME 5: Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 2 2:02 PM
GAME 6: Winner game 3 vs. Winner Game 4 30 mins following