What are Bob Walsh & Karlton Creech hiding?

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: What are Bob Walsh & Karlton Creech hiding?

Postby bulldog » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:33 am

bcbc55 wrote:3. They don't know how to recruit them properly both men and women

I would say Coach Barron has done a pretty good job of bringing in student-athletes to participate in the Women's program. Would like to have seen the Irving girl (Lawrence) and the Esposito girl (Gorham) have gone to Maine, but I also understand Irvings connection to Blodgett and Esposito's desire to play out of state. Both would have been nice additions to the women's program and they are Mainers.

Fleming was a great get for Walsh. Mayo would have been a tremendous addition, but he was lured away by a program that is in a better conference that fits his style of play. Would have liked to have seen the younger Gilpin boy at Maine as I think he is a great facilitor and really knows how to play the game.

Not all Mainers are going to go to Maine, but I think that both programs have gone after the kids they really think can play at the level the coaches think they can play at.
bulldog

Postby TAL1957 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:01 pm

From TheMike, to mj, to bulldog, and a Great wrap-up by MEballer, what a Super series of well-thought and well-phrased posts !!

Absolutely the BEST sequence of posts on UMaine MBB in quite some time, perhaps "Evahhh". Totally makes for some very worthwhile reading !
:D :D :D :shock:
TAL1957

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:35 pm

The last coach for the Men's program to make Maine competitive in the AE was John Giannini. He rebuilt the Maine program with junior college transfers (Marcus Wills and Fred Meeks), high major transfers and a little luck. The major key to it all was when Bedard was stuck behind All Conference point guard Schoonie Penn at BC and wanted to come back home in a more prominent role. Bedard's buddy at BC who was toiling away on the bench was Nate Fox. Maine landed 2 more impact high major transfers in Carvell Ammons and Julian Dunkley to further bolster the roster. Picking up these transfers gave Maine more credibility as a program. Giannini wasn't scared of taking risks. He took on some academic/character risk kids like Huggy Dye, Mark Flavin and Rickey White and was able to get some high level production from them, though Dye was kicked off the team and White chose to leave the program as a redshirt senior. Giannini also scored wins on postionless/overlooked players like: Kevin Reed, Erick Greene and Joe Campbell.
He also did a nice job developing his players and putting them in position to be successful.

Coach Walsh is in a bad position with the talented transfers leaving the program. He is fighting an uphill battle to replenish the roster with quality talent. The fact he had to recruit late in the game and fill roster spots, leaves a lot of borderline players on current roster.
Need to somehow hit a home run with a talented transfer or under the radar recruits. It's a tough racket and going to take some luck.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:55 pm

Mainebballer wrote:Interesting thoughts from TheMike. But, I hope he realizes that what he advocates in terms of contacting players at higher-level programs and offering scholarships is illegal. Schools are prohibited from contacting players at other schools. It has to work the other way: Players first have to contact a different school, and they have to do so with permission of their current program.
If anyone has real answers to solve the Maine men's situation, would love to hear them.
There has to be some luck involved.
Here's how some schools have done it.
- Find a very good coach. Maine found a coach who had very good success at the D-III level. I know coach Walsh fairly well, and highly admire his knowledge of X's & O's and game plans, etc.
But, as we all know, at the D-I level it's less about the X's and O's and more about the Johnnies and Joes. In other words ... can't win without some talent.
I'll admit that the jury is still out on coach Walsh. I hope they give him a couple more years, because he runs a program the "right" way. No shortcuts, nothing illegal, very disciplined, etc.
And, if Maine ever does have a real good coach ... what are the chances of keeping him? Maine is one of the lower-paying D-I positions in the country, as well as being one of the more-difficult ones at which to have success. Anyone who has any real success here will move on ASAP.

- Find overlooked players.
Mid-major schools have to find players an inch or two too short ... i.e., 6-foot-5 or 6-6 post players; 6-1 guards, etc. Or, rail thin 6-7/6-8 players and get them in the weight room. The other route is to go overseas. But, that's not easy to do without the requisite recruiting budget to actually go over and see players. It means someone on staff needs to have legitimate and trustworthy connections overseas. Who knows if Maine's staff has those kind of connections ...

Bottom line: It's not going to be easy to turn the ship around. Maine has a few advantages ... good academics probably foremost among them. But, the disadvantages far outweigh everything: Terrible location, lousy weather, small-town environment, low level of competition, very few state players on D-I level, more major courses of study elsewhere, etc.

Maine's program needs to find some different ways to turn things around.

BZ: Agree with everything you posted. Dr. J was the ONLY real successful good coach @ UMaine men's program since Brian McCall left in the 60's.

Great post.
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:12 pm

Player breaking other players jaw in the locker room, teammates covering for jaw breaker telling PD that player "fell in the shower". What a bunch of a-holes! No wonder Creech & Walsh were trying to hide this sh*t from us!
mainejeff

Postby augie » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:23 pm

mainejeff wrote:Player breaking other players jaw in the locker room, teammates covering for jaw breaker telling PD that player "fell in the shower". What a bunch of a-holes! No wonder Creech & Walsh were trying to hide this sh*t from us!

Wondered what the smoking gun was. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.
augie

Postby mainejeff » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Just remember...Walsh is a good coach & we are lucky to have him!
mainejeff

Postby dunbar » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:30 pm

dunbar

Postby aechamps » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:42 pm

Well that explains it all!
aechamps

Postby mainejeff » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:46 pm

Yeah, that definitely explained it all. Thanks dunbar!

So UMaine men's basketball still sucks....now what?
mainejeff

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics