Maine's 8 Outplay & Out score Albany in 2nd half but lose

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Maine's 8 Outplay & Out score Albany in 2nd half but lose

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:56 pm

Trailing by 25 points at the half against their rival America est 3rd place the Albany Great Danes, 39-14 they faced a very tough and difficult situation coming out for the 2nd half.

The scenario was they could either fold their tent and really could get bombed in the 2nd half or they could come out forget the score prop up their tent and play hard and out hustle the bigger, stronger, more talent and deeper Danes squad.

They chose the later with a 2nd half performance that had to have the Maine men's coaching staff really very pleased and proud of their 8 man team's effort and performance.

This had to be one of their best 2nd half efforts by any team in the 2 plus years under the Walsh regime.

The small Bears squad out scored the bigger and stronger great Danes 42-37 in the second half.

All 8 of the Bears who played made positive contributions. Junior JUCO 6'2" Austin Howard had 12 points, 2 rebs, 3 assists in 32 minutes, freshmen red-shirt 6'8" Vincent Eze had 10 points, 4 blocked shots, game high 13 boards in 34 minutes and the other freshmen red-shirt 6'1" Dennis Ashley added 10 points,2 rebs, 2 assists in just 19 minutes, true freshmen 6'7" Andrew Fleming had 7 points, 5 rebs in 39 minutes, true freshmen 6'5" Dan Evans had 7 points, 4 rebs, 3 assists in 37 minutes, sophomre 5'11" sophomore point guard Ryan Bernstein had 4 points, 2 rebs, 1 assist in 27 minutes. 2 substitutes that get little playing time also contributed to the effort. Junior 6'2" Gary Melmad had a three and 2 rebounds in 9 minutes and senior TJ Ward had a 3 in 5 minutes.

All 8 contributed well beyond their stats. The small but appreciative crowd at the Cross Insurance Center in Bangor applauded the 8's great effort under trying and difficult conditions.

Nichols had a big 20 for the Danes and Enema added 12 and Campbell had 10.

Maine out shot the Dane from beyond the arc shooting 47.4% from behind the 3 point line om 9 or 19 shooting to Albany's 35% on 3 for 8.

Maine struggled from the line on 13 of 23 for 56.5% while
Albany was 8 for 10 for 80%.

Albany out shot the Bears from the floor going 29-70 for 41.4% to Maine's 33.3% on 17 for 51.

Turnovers only 9 for Maine and n impressive just 3 for Albany

Albany only out rebounded the undersized Bears 40 to 36.

Assist Albany 15 Maine 10

Maine committed 10 fouls to Albany's 18

Big difference in the game was that the Danes outscored the smaller Bears 36 to 10 in points in the paint.

Maine falls to 2-13 in conference play and to 6-24 overall while 3rd place Albany moved to 9-5 in conference play and 17-11 overall.

GREAT EFFORT BY THE GREAT 8 TODAY. REALLY APPRECIATED YOUR EFFORT TODAY AS I WATCHED THE GAME ON LINE.

One of the most enjoyable write ups I have done for the Maine Men's basketball program since I began writing up their games 3 years ago for MBR.

Maine is back in action to finish their regular conference schedule on Saturday, February 25th as the are on the rod # Binghamton for a 2:00pm game time.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bcbc55

Re: Maine's 8 Outplay & Out score Albany in 2nd half but los

Postby mainejeff » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Were the seniors honored? Have the suspended players left the team? Will Garet Beal play again before he turns 30?
mainejeff

Postby aechamps » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Yes if anybody could tell us who was present for seniors? Secondly whats the rumors why four players got suspended? Where those four players present at the game?? I liked this move a few years ago and thought Walsh needed a chance at coaching at the D1 level but I don't like how things are currently going and how the season ended with everyone transferring. Is Mckennon hurt??
Overall sports at the University of Maine have been lacking and been very disappointing lately............
aechamps

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:43 pm

mainejeff wrote:Were the seniors honored? Have the suspended players left the team? Will Garet Beal play again before he turns 30?

mainejeff: They didn't show the senior awards on the streamed game.

BDN mentioned in their capsule for the game on Saturday thaat Beal, Red-Knight and suspended Pirovic that this was their final home game of their careers.

Good question if the suspended players have left the team, the only thing I have found out is that the suspensions were 4 indefinite suspensions, whatever that means.

Beal and Reid-Knight could play next year or they could transfer if they graduate and be eligible immediately because of the NCAA grad student eligibility transfer policy of years to play 4 seasons.

That's all I know right now, sorry mj.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:53 pm

aechamps wrote:Yes if anybody could tell us who was present for seniors? Secondly whats the rumors why four players got suspended? Where those four players present at the game?? I liked this move a few years ago and thought Walsh needed a chance at coaching at the D1 level but I don't like how things are currently going and how the season ended with everyone transferring. Is Mckennon hurt??
Overall sports at the University of Maine have been lacking and been very disappointing lately............

aechamps: Good to hear from you right again.

Your questions.

1. Good question did not see them on the streamed game seniors honors before the game as ESPN did not show any pre-game activities except for the starting lineups and the National Anthem.

2. it was indefinite suspensions for violating the UMaine code of athletics policy whatever that is? No specifics, just like politics or politicians,

3. Looked like there was 8 people in street clothes on the bench, not including the managers or coaches, but that was what I saw from the computer, so not sure who was there

4. Isn't Mckennon one of the fabulous "FOUR", was listed with the 3 others in that BDN article capsule that I mentioned to mainejeff?
bcbc55

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics