Men's Team Senior Day & other program's questions

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Men's Team Senior Day & other program's questions

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:13 am

mainejeff 5, Tom Nolette 1, hooken4 1, crunch 1, mario spaghettio 1, augie 1, and TAL1957 6, my biggest critic on this or any other UMaine men's basketball program thread..... you all responded to BLIND ZEBRA'S POST ON THE FOUR SUSPENSIONS and anyone else who might be interested. Number after your user name is times you posted on Zebra's thread.

I would be interested in all of your responses to my questions I'm asking on this post about
1. who the seniors are that will be honored today
2. the 4 suspensions
3. Walsh's future
4. last years transfers
5. possible transfers this year
6. possible assistant coaches leaving
7. Do we have a right to ask questions and if we do should we expect to get answers to these questions?

The UMaine website goblackbears.com posted that Sunday, February 19th @ 2:00pm is senior day for the UMaine men's team as they play host to Albany

However, the website failed to list who the senior(s) are that are to be honored.

The only senior that played this year was Marco Pirovic, but he is one of the 4 indefinitely suspended. So do they honor him????????????????????

Garret Beal and Troy Reid-Knight who are listed as seniors on the roster did not play this season apparently because of injuries.

They could return next year even if they graduate after sitting out this year or if they enter a graduate program at another D-1 school then they could transfer and be eligible immediately for next year under NCAA 5th year graduate student guidelines.

Wonder why the website did not name the seniors who are to be honored today?

Somethings are still a mystery about the suspensions that are still in effect for the game today.

Like what where/was the the actual reasons the 4 players were suspended?

In other words what standards of the men's program did they not meet?

How long is the suspension for?

Are they allowed to practice?

Are the suspensions all for the same reasons?

Certainly more questions than just the one reason given for not meeting team standards.

What's the big secret??????????????????????????????????????????

On to some other questions!

Will Walsh return or will Maine buy out the fourth year of his contract?

Does 17 wins (counting 2 wins over 2 D-3 colleges) and 72 losses (including 2 to 2 D-3 colleges) warrant bringing him back?

What about the 5 transfers last year?

Where there any other reasons besides the politically correct stated reason of 4 of them wanting to try to move up the D-1 rankings as 3 did, one went D-2 and one went JUCO?

Will there be more transfers this spring?

Will any assistants leave as one did this year?

The only way I see if Walsh saves himself is if he can turn things around by going at least .500 overall next year and finish at least 8-8 in conference play and win a quarter-final year.

If this was a private college then it would not be any of us taxpayers business, but considering it is a land grant public institution supported by our tax dollars aren't we are entitled to ask these questions and possibly get some
questions?

Please respond as I am very interested in all of your responses especially the answer to my questions.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Men's Team Senior Day & other program's questions

Postby Hookem4 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:47 pm

@ bcbc55

I would be really, really surprised if the University bought out his contract -their financial situation doesn't allow them to do so without causing a public stir.

I don't see any impact players transferring. They will get Calixte and Er back from injuries and return everybody from this year's 6-win team. Needless to say this is a huge recruiting class for Walsh. He desperately needs a promising freshmen class.

As for assistants who could leave - I don't see any here. O'Brien is a loyal Walsh guy (coached under him at RIC). Gray played for Walsh at RIC and Schlegel is in his first year as an assistant coach and probably doesn't have tons of places he could go. I will say that Zak Boisvert - who left for an assistant job at Army - was a highly respected basketball guy and it was only a matter of time before he moved up the ladder.
Hookem4
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:58 am

Re: Men's Team Senior Day & other program's questions

Postby aechamps » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:03 pm

Well Bob...... looks like you have some ideas and lots of questions for your next article for the Bangor News!! :D
aechamps
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:37 am

Re: Men's Team Senior Day & other program's questions

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:28 pm

aechamps wrote:Well Bob...... looks like you have some ideas and lots of questions for your next article for the Bangor News!! :D


aechamps: Not right now. but maybe after the high school state games and AE Tournament are over.

Good to see you back here on MBR. You always add to the posts. Missed you here on MBR aechamps, where have you been if I am not to nosy?
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Men's Team Senior Day & other program's questions

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:34 pm

Hookem4 wrote:@ bcbc55

I would be really, really surprised if the University bought out his contract -their financial situation doesn't allow them to do so without causing a public stir.

I don't see any impact players transferring. They will get Calixte and Er back from injuries and return everybody from this year's 6-win team. Needless to say this is a huge recruiting class for Walsh. He desperately needs a promising freshmen class.

As for assistants who could leave - I don't see any here. O'Brien is a loyal Walsh guy (coached under him at RIC). Gray played for Walsh at RIC and Schlegel is in his first year as an assistant coach and probably doesn't have tons of places he could go. I will say that Zak Boisvert - who left for an assistant job at Army - was a highly respected basketball guy and it was only a matter of time before he moved up the ladder.


hookem4: Like that user name. Close to hookem horns that Texas College signal which had 2 horns.

Thanks for responding with some very insightful and interesting responses that I asked for. Hope the others i asked to respond do as well as you do,

Thanks again. Keep posting now that you have started as you have a lot of offer.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Men's Team Senior Day & other program's questions

Postby Blind Zebra » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:23 pm

According to Walsh's pre game speech that was posted on twitter, Marko Pirovic, CJ Ward, Garet Beal & Troy Reid-Knight were honored for senior day. I did not attend the game, I don't know if the other suspended players were on the bench? Marko did not play on senior day, so the 4 must be still be suspended??
This all feels like a violation of team rules type of thing. I am wondering if they got caught partying during the snow day on Monday after Stony Brook? Heavy speculation on my part...but it just makes sense.
This program started out transparent, with a ton of social media interaction and interaction with fans of the program. In the past year, things have changed starting with Shaun Lawton's suspension, a very poor finish in 2015-16 conference play and the news of 4 players transferring for various reasons.

I believe Coach Walsh will be back next year.

Transfers...I would look first at the players who just got suspended.

Graduation losses...since Beal & Reid Knight were honored today, I think we can assume they are moving on. Both have sustained numerous injuries, including serious concussion issues for both. I had hoped they would be able to finish out their careers in a positive manner and on the court rather than in street clothes. There is something to be said for loyalty to a program and putting forth one's best effort. These two student athletes should be commended for their tireless work.
Blind Zebra
 
Posts: 1829
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Men's Team Senior Day & other program's questions

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:35 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:According to Walsh's pre game speech that was posted on twitter, Marko Pirovic, CJ Ward, Garet Beal & Troy Reid-Knight were honored for senior day. I did not attend the game, I don't know if the other suspended players were on the bench? Marko did not play on senior day, so the 4 must be still be suspended??
This all feels like a violation of team rules type of thing. I am wondering if they got caught partying during the snow day on Monday after Stony Brook? Heavy speculation on my part...but it just makes sense.
This program started out transparent, with a ton of social media interaction and interaction with fans of the program. In the past year, things have changed starting with Shaun Lawton's suspension, a very poor finish in 2015-16 conference play and the news of 4 players transferring for various reasons.

I believe Coach Walsh will be back next year.

Transfers...I would look first at the players who just got suspended.

Graduation losses...since Beal & Reid Knight were honored today, I think we can assume they are moving on. Both have sustained numerous injuries, including serious concussion issues for both. I had hoped they would be able to finish out their careers in a positive manner and on the court rather than in street clothes. There is something to be said for loyalty to a program and putting forth one's best effort. These two student athletes should be commended for their tireless work.


BZ: Agree with most everything you posted. Is Ward a senior? He's listed as a junior on the roster I thought.

As I stated what was in the Saturday BDN Sports page Capsule for the game today it listed Beal, Reid-Knight and Pirovic as seniors. did not list Ward.

Beal and Reid-Knight could stay at UMaine in graduate programs and still have a year remaining or they could transfer and do the same thing.

The only guaranteed underclassman non-transfer will be Myers because he is trapped by the 5 to play 4 rule as he has already sat out last year as a transfer.

When things start to go downhill or their are things to hide......... the transparency seems to go out the window........like politics and politicians.

Thanks for responding.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am


Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: maine612, thebam and 59 guests